Info Screen is Dim

RRF985

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 BMW M550i, 2020 Supra Premium, 2015 991.1
Do they plan to do a factory update on this?
They haven’t yet so probably not. I’m glad I did the swap.
Sponsored

huntjunky

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Tacoma, Dodge Ram
OK...Of course everyone has this issue. 1st I approached my dealer and they said there is no fix. BS! Already had OBDlink MX+ and the $32 Bimmer app. The free app provides for no user coding facility. Worked great for the coding I have done...6 items as explained earlier. Note that you do need to put vehicle in diagnostic mode for adaptor to link with vehicle. Push start button w/foot off brake (standby), then push start button 3 times. Going out to try this coding instruction and thanks to Kevin in advance. The manual rheostat in the lighting controls only works as a dimmer for night time and does change the instrument cluster along with the Idrive control display but will have no effect on daytime brightness. What pisses me off is, my 2 dealer service managers have been to Supra training twice and they are not aware of or will not acknowledge the service/recall for this issue.

Last edited:

huntjunky

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Tacoma, Dodge Ram
Well, gave the Trojan Mans coding instructions a go & voila! We are plenty bright on the iDrive Control Display. As indicated, there is so much more adjustability between dim and bright, w/ the "old" designator indicating "BRIGHTNESS" rather than "brightness @ night". It only pertains to the control display without messing with the instrument cluster, which can be controlled by the manual dial in the lighting controls. This dial will also dim the control display, at the same time, so no need to go into the iDrive menus to adjust the iDrive display brightness, when dimming at night.

Going down to the dealer to have the carbon fiber mirror replaced, that some prick decided to trash and maybe play the "shame card" as an end consumer shows the dealer's multi million dollar service department how to address this issue. Perhaps this will instigate a bit of a discount for the $1,127 repair. Thank god for insurance, though they only allowed $45/hr for shop time...WTF! Last time I saw a dealership shop rate @ $45/hr was when I bought a new 1968 Camaro SS.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
Does the code work with an iPhone, if anyone knows? The device hooks up by BT to the car then?

RRF985

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Does the code work with an iPhone, if anyone knows? The device hooks up by BT to the car then?
Bimmercode does work with iOS. I used my iPad to do the coding. It is a Bluetooth connection.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bimmercode does work with iOS. I used my iPad to do the coding. It is a Bluetooth connection.
Thanks. The OBDlink MX+ looks to be 119 on Amazon. Not cheap but it has a lot of nice features I hadn't thought about.

RRF985

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
They’ve gone up in price quite a bit. Must be due to demand. You’ll be glad you have it though. It’s well worth it. You’ll be glad to do diagnostics on the car yourself without having to hit up the dealer as well as making coding changes.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wow, doubled in price. Back in Dec they were selling for $60.
I see some that are 30 dollars, different brand, but what determines a good unit?

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Suzuka Silver GT
Some Bimmercode options are only available with OBDLink MX+.
See the link below, examples are in the PDC, rear view camera, seatbelt reminder sections, etc.
https://bimmercode.app/cars/a90/
A more accurate compatibility list is here: https://bimmercode.app/adapters/
Amongst the OBDLink line of products, the MX+ is only the preferred choice if you're running iOS. For Android, the MX and LX are also options. I successfully used Android with MX to code my Supra.
Also don't forget the cost of purchasing the full version of BimmerCode - in Australia it was AU$56.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have the OBDlink arriving today and have downloaded Bimmercode to my iPhone. Has anyone had any issues with this, since to change the brightness, you to into the Expert mode?

Bulldog9

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1976 Porsche 911, Supra coming this summer.
Does Bimmer Code allow you to get into the menus so you can display useful information in the field to the right of the tach? So dumb to leave that empty without performance information. I saw a video on a "secret" menu where you have to press a button and enter a code every restart.

I went to the dealer today with my checkbook, and walked away because of this. This was my 3rd test drive, and a sunny day. Other days was overcast. Very disappointed in these two issues. Looks like the Cayman is back on the table

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
As of right now the only info that pops up is the GPS when using it for directions. I wish it had a menu that you could cycle through to display whatever info you choose to look at. Definitely wasted real estate on the dash. To my knowledge Bimmercode doesn't do anything for that area. Having to go through the menu and hit 8 buttons just to see the oil temp seems a little to complex for what it should be. Any aftermarket app can pull that data in milliseconds so why not go ahead and display it.
Sponsored