Injen Exhaust Review

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
A few disclosures and then we can get into the written review! I am a very amateur 'mechanic' who did this install in my garage with 4 jack stands, 2 jacks, small ramps. The install was straightforward, however probably took me longer than it would most of you OR if I had a lift it would be MUCH easier! I was able to grab the exhaust for below MSRP...quick google should yield a good result. I do recommend contacting Mike @Extreme Power House who is an awesome forum member and can probably get you a great price! Car is a 2023 Base model, automatic with zero tuning done to the fake engine noise (more on that below). Stock DP. MST V2 Intake. JB+

Install Again, I am someone who can handle basic work like brake pads/oil etc. so this install took me about 4 hours. If I had to do it again? Maybe 2-3 with some discoveries on the quirks of this kit! Stock removal wasn't too bad, just heavy. Use a jack to hold up the muffler and then roll it out on a creeper or cardboard box. Installing the new one was a learning experience for me. I've never even seen a V band in person! But I absolutely love how you join the pipes very loosely and then you can 'clock' them to line it up. Slip joints are easier, but the V band seems very solid once all together. The exhaust does use the stock exhaust flapper, but I am going to open it up and pull the fuse as both sides are identical so volume/tone from comfort to sport is the same. The injen instructions are spot on, except you need to really dig into the splash guards/heat shields to remove ALL the clips holding the stock motor wires. This took me about an hour to figure out as I wanted to be careful not to ruin anything. Lining everything up was only as difficult as crawling under the car! Once everything looked good I held it in place and torqued down the V bands and gave all the pipes a good wipe down!

Impressions I was quite nervous that upon startup I would be full of regret with how loud the system is, I was not at all. Cold start is maybe a bit louder than stock (50% or so) with some more buzz and resonance, but nothing crazy (I've owned a catless FRS/BRZ where cold start was downright embarrassing). As it cycled to warm idle its barely louder than stock. I flipped sport mode to check the exhaust flapper was in working order, which it is. No change in tone or volume outside the car in sport mode, probably going to open the valve and pull the fuse for this. Car is very pleasant in comfort mode! Its quite a deep noise, louder than stock with just barely a touch of drone around 2k RPMs. Still recovering from 12+ inches of snow and wet roads here, so no WOT pulls yet. Sport mode is a different story and I need to caveat this by saying I need to disable the fake engine noise. In sport mode there is a lot of drone and buzz in the car, I don't think a 'loud' exhaust plays well with the fake engine noise so I am going to code that out in the next few days and revise this. The OEM pops and bangs are more like booms and burbles now! Much better sounding to the ear. There is a bit of drone now, again I am going to attribute that to the fake engine noise via the speakers.

TL DR - Injen exhaust fits great, looks great, nice bump in volume from stock with a very deep tone. Would I buy it again? Maybe. I do feel like this might be the Poormans Magnaflow which is alright with me! Still sad that a company screwed up my order for the AA Catback as that's the only other system I would want to compare this to. Anyone in the NH area want to get together in the spring and compare setups?

*reserved for edits here*
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Apologize for the short video. Wind gusts are like 50MPH! I promise itā€™s louder in person, but this does a good job to capture the tone! More videos coming! Will grab drive by and in car.

Added: Cold start = loud

Moderate acceleration, can still hear the intake noise!

sorry for the wind noise! Gentle acceleration in sport mode. Get a better sense of the tone/deepness

Last edited:

Flann-man

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Subaru Outback XT. 23 A91-MT CU Later
Thank you for doing this!
There isnā€™t anything out for videos/reviews or impressions on this exhaust, that I can find at least. This thing isnā€™t super expensive so, definitely an option I like.
How do the tips fit the bumper? Looks like a solid rear piece so left to right adjustment is limited if any.
You mentioned drone at about 2k rpm, is that the only spot or is it more like a range, say 1800-2200? Might be a deal breaker for my MT, it is in that range while cruising a lot.
Will be looking forward to pics and video!

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Thank you for doing this!
There isnā€™t anything out for videos/reviews or impressions on this exhaust, that I can find at least. This thing isnā€™t super expensive so, definitely an option I like.
How do the tips fit the bumper? Looks like a solid rear piece so left to right adjustment is limited if any.
You mentioned drone at about 2k rpm, is that the only spot or is it more like a range, say 1800-2200? Might be a deal breaker for my MT, it is in that range while cruising a lot.
Will be looking forward to pics and video!
Added a quick clip above! Tips can be adjusted plenty honestly and once the exhaust is centered you wouldnā€™t want to move it around. Let me get back to you on the drone! Need to drive more and play with the active sound.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
As of right now I am embarrassed at the cold start. The exhaust valve has a horrible rattle to it. Contacting Injen now.

RyanA90

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
ā€˜23 Supra A91-MT Burnout
Thanks for being the Guinea pig for the exhaust! Looking forward to more vids and pics!

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Disabled the active sound today! Drone is almost non existent in comfort mode. Sport mode seems louder with just a touch of drone. Completely liveable! Will try and get more video clips tomorrow. Stay tuned. Loving this exhaust so far, but you absolutely must disable the active sound. Awful buzz inside the cabin with it.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
It actually sounds badass!!! Nice deep aggressive tone.
Iā€™m sure most exhaust videos on here are lacking compared to real world. Itā€™s fantastic in person. Stay tuned! Tomorrow might break 50 degrees with some sun!

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Does it seem surprising, from a logical standpoint that my exhaust has 2 identical mufflers and a valve on one of them. On comfort mode, all exhaust goes through a single 3ā€ muffler and it a little louder than stock. In sport mode, the valve flips and exhaust goes through dual 3ā€ with identical mufflers. Would you expect a dual pipe to be much louder?? It is. I thought it would be quieter if anything, with two mufflers. Hmmmm.

Comfort is the way to go on the highway for sure. Nice and quiet. Sport is a little louder cruising, but the pops and bangs are now low booms and burbles. Sounds much better.