Intake and catless downpipe without tune!

Bham_108

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
This was when the BMW 340 was first released so probably 2016

the intake was the BMS B58 intake and the downpipe is VM 4" B58 downpipe (no longer offered).
Thank you for the response! Do you think a 21 Supra 3.0 would have similar numbers? Thinking AA downpipe and an Intake similar to this
Sponsored

TheIronLotus

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 Supra 3.0
You can expect to get between 390 to 400hp with an e30 blend on a 2021 3.0 Supra with intake and downpipe.

Below is an image of a Dyno run I had today. I have a JB4 with an MST intake, AMS catted dp and magnaflow exhaust on E35 fuel. First 2 pulls are map 0 which is stock setting. The rest are different maps from 3,4 and 5.

Last 2 are a custom map 6 I’m working with @DaBears on (which is not done) and so far had pretty good results. All in all I don’t think I will get anymore out of the JB4 but will see. I’m very happy with what the car is doing with out a real tune to the ECU. I am hoping that the unlocks comes out soon to get the full potential out of these bolt on’s. Hope this helps.
D4F232E4-9EC6-41ED-8D9A-B73F795515E3.png

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
You can expect to get between 390 to 400hp with an e30 blend on a 2021 3.0 Supra with intake and downpipe.

Below is an image of a Dyno run I had today. I have a JB4 with an MST intake, AMS catted dp and magnaflow exhaust on E35 fuel. First 2 pulls are map 0 which is stock setting. The rest are different maps from 3,4 and 5.

Last 2 are a custom map 6 I’m working with @DaBears on (which is not done) and so far had pretty good results. All in all I don’t think I will get anymore out of the JB4 but will see. I’m very happy with what the car is doing with out a real tune to the ECU. I am hoping that the unlocks comes out soon to get the full potential out of these bolt on’s. Hope this helps.
D4F232E4-9EC6-41ED-8D9A-B73F795515E3.png
Add meth, you can squeeze out more. I'm floating around E40-E45 with a locked 2021, Meth, JB4 and @DaBears on the tune.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
Thank you for the response! Do you think a 21 Supra 3.0 would have similar numbers? Thinking AA downpipe and an Intake similar to this
the results should be the same in my opinion

eastwest2300

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
QX70
I'll be in the same boat, '21 3.0 with an armaspeed intake and titan motorsports downpipe without a tune..

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT

Toast

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, GR86
It could under certain circumstances. I have a catless with no tune and when I did a pull around 150 the car threw a drive train malfunction caused by “120208, boost pressure too high”.
I'm dropping into this thread because I got this error tonight. DS-1 downpipe, MST v2 intake, no tune. 6th gear pull, 35F outdoor temp, 93 octane fuel, and at around 120, the following errors were thrown:
120208 "Boost pressure control, plausibility: pressure too high"
120408 "Boost pressure control: shutdown as a follow-up reaction"
It happened to be the first time I've done a 6th gear pull, but it wasn't quite WOT

Hopefully it wasn't an omen that "Kiss of Death" was playing on the stereo. It does make for a funny blackvue video.

Last edited:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
120208 "Boost pressure control, plausibility: pressure too high"
120408 "Boost pressure control: shutdown as a follow-up reaction"
Sounds like you triggered limp mode somehow. JB4? How did you read those codes?

This might be a trip to the dealer.

Toast

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, GR86
Sounds like you triggered limp mode somehow. JB4? How did you read those codes?

This might be a trip to the dealer.
I used Bimmerlink to retrieve the codes. It has no tune or jb4; It's stock other than the intake and downpipe. The only other difference from stock is I put in 5w-30 a few weeks ago but I'd been driving for a half hour so that doesn't seem relevant.

Before this happened, there was nothing unusual about any of the other aggressive accelerations with normal gear shifts. Based on the speed, I figure I got from about 2800RPM (shifted from 5th) to 4800 RPMs over ~10 seconds, with a pretty level road, as well. I'll take it out later today and see how it behaves, but this was a unique acceleration for me.

Reactions: zrk

NDR008

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Auris, GR Supra 2.0 Dynamic
This is a interesting (somewhat funny) thread. I work at DENSO, so one of the ECU/electronics/actuator suppliers. In my early days (about 10 years ago) - my job was involving some of the software that makes the check engine light come on. :)

Some things I would say - without knowing anything specific about the Supra. Long term durability is likely to be effected - since, a lot of algorithms in the ECU would not be triggered after CEL-on, but engine/vehicle development, final durability before SOP (Start of Production) is done with mass-production representative EMS (i.e. in conditions without CEL).

I wonder about things like piston wetting, peak temperatures, pressures, etc.
With a fully functioning CAT (the CEL is on because it recognize CAT is missing or failed), the EMS can play with A/F, VVT timing, IGN timing, etc - and can allow the engine to go a little bit lean or rich. Without CAT, the calibration of the EMS would be "try to be safe and clean". So maybe some actuators are actuated more often, some less.
Potentially, step-in enrichment is reduced for example.

Anyway, that is not to say I do not get you guys, the MR2 in my profile pic was cat-less, but it was heavily modified and running a full standalone ECU, and I mostly used it for track and touge in Japan.

Last thing - make sure you do not run your cat-less car in enclosed garage. Since the car may go slightly richer, without a catalyst, during rich phases, you will have more carbon monoxide emission.

Toast

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, GR86
Update: when I started bimmerlink to clear the codes, the gauge for the turbo read ~15 PSI at idle, even after starting and restarting the engine. After I cleared the codes, it went back to zero. the next couple drives were uneventful even with hard accelerations. No codes thrown.

So, no more 6th gear pulls at low RPM until it's tuned.

aksprite

First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra, the bus
Update: when I started bimmerlink to clear the codes, the gauge for the turbo read ~15 PSI at idle, even after starting and restarting the engine. After I cleared the codes, it went back to zero. the next couple drives were uneventful even with hard accelerations. No codes thrown.

So, no more 6th gear pulls at low RPM until it's tuned.
When it happened to me I cleared the codes via JB4 and it never came back. I keep away from doing 110+ mph pulls if i'm on the base map. You should be good, the ECU went into limp mode as a preventative measure. When it happened to me I couldn't find much information on why. I started coming to the conclusion it was my catless downpipe when reading into similar overboosting issues with Subarus and older BMWs. Its not so much a big deal running a catless downpipe with no tune with our cars as it is with Subarus,. The car goes into limp mode before issues occur. I do recommend getting tuned or a piggyback like JB4, maybe even something cheaper like a JB+.