Interview Questions for Detroit from the Fans

What 2018 Auto Show do you Toyota will pick for a possible unveiling?

• Detroit

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Chicago

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • New York

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Geneva

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Los Angeles

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Pebble Beach Concours D'Eleganc

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • None of the above, it will take place at a 2019 auto show.

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Ayo theres two weeks left till Tokyo and we still don't know
- when the cladding is coming off
- What engine it'll use
- What transmission it has
Sponsored

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Ayo theres two weeks left till Tokyo and we still don't know
- when the cladding is coming off
- What engine it'll use
- What transmission it has
Exactly my point...either Toyota is going to wow the world with this car and surprise us in a way that will leave us in awe....or, it will be the biggest let down in automotive history. With two weeks to go and no clear evidence of the cars' lines, engine types, trans type, etc... this is not looking promising. Prove me wrong Toyota, please prove me wrong.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Just read an article posted in another thread about this partnership originally being announced at the North American International Auto Show (the FT1 also debuted here a year later). Apparently BMW plans to debut the Z4 at this show in Jan 2018.

To me, it would make sense for Toyota to also debut the SPX at the same time, therefore signaling the end of the partnership. This would also explain why the testmule isn't dropping any of the camo yet.

I was also told that I would be contacted in early 2018 with more details on production... reading more into that, they may have been saying we can talk more about this after it is revealed to the public.

Last edited:

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I think the joint ventures come down purely to Toyota wanting to save as much money as possible. The board of directors, investors, and as a result the accounting department will only approve high risk, low return vehicles when they can be assured that the buy in is low and as such any losses are easier to fathom. This is comical because Toyota has so much capital it's mindblowing.

This is good business, but it also pisses off enthusiasts/purists. Notice how Lexus does not have this issue because they are managed in a far more American fashion and as such have more freedom to use capital (granted their overall user base is way different).

DCT is likely going to be a thing of the past soon from what different engineers (friends outside of toyota and otherwise) have been saying. Apparently the next gen autos are even faster than the ZF8 (not surprising), and so as long as your have paddles then its gonna be about the same experience. It will likely be a bit slower just because DCT is nearly instant, but manufacturers will take that for lower costs both in design and maintenance.

What they dont understand is how much more connected a DCT feels.
Lexus still doesn't get it with the auto transmissions. Or perhaps they get it, but they know they're cheaping out. Instantly my interest in the RCF was diminished. Even on their $100,000 LC, they still can't justify a dual clutch. Makes me think that Supra will inevitably be a slushbox just like Lexus, Corvette et al.

Luckily I don't think the higher end of the spectrum will succumb to the automatic transmission anytime soon... there's enough room in their bottom line to justify it, and the reason there is that room is because they've sold the consumer on paying more for the feel and the emotion and the warm and fuzzies. I could see BMW falling on its sword on its M models, but Porsche would have a difficult time telling its customers that a newfangled slushbox is better than PDK. The case gets even harder as you go up the line.

But if they can make an autobox with immediate, super crisp shifts, just like today's best dual clutch units, sign me up. I won't stand in the way of progress.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, in truth even the LF-A trans was mediocre, especially for the price.

At this point, Toyota should just be known an Autoyoda.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, this 100% happened and I was surprised as well. He went into more detail about what those issues entailed, but Getrag was just SUPER unhappy about the way Toyota handled things and felt like they were treated unfairly.

Like you said, contract was likely set to expire after 15 years (not sure), but Getrag has continued to make parts for other transmissions/manufacturers past contract expirations because they had no issue. Anyhow, I figured you might find it as interested as I did lol.
Going back to this....I wonder if Toyota’s reasoning for not having a manual transmission anymore is because of the bad experience with manual transmission manufacturers? They are probably trying to play it safe with automatics as they are least likely to have issues justifying automatic transmission warranty claims with transmission manufacturers as they might with manual transmissions or DCT’s? I mean, the GTR sufferred a major blow with its DCT initially, and BMW still has yet to get their shit together with their DSG. I bet that is why Toyota wants nothing to do with manuals or dual clutch setups. A pre-owned GTR is starting to look more and more tempting.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ very well could be, or perhaps it's those issues combined with the declining need to provide that option to the public. Either way, I think manual Toyotas are only going to be available in cars like the 86. We have simply reached the point where it's seen as a novelty.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
Oh one more thing to ask please (sorry if this was mentioned before):

-is it going to be updated more often; like the 86/BRZ/FRS special models, or is it going to be treated like the usual Launch/Mid-cycle refresh (akin to the Lexus RC?)

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Oh one more thing to ask please (sorry if this was mentioned before):

-is it going to be updated more often; like the 86/BRZ/FRS special models, or is it going to be treated like the usual Launch/Mid-cycle refresh (akin to the Lexus RC?)
Being the halo car, i expect mid-cycle

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
If this car we're waiting on isn't at Tokyo Auto Show(assuming it didn't) when should we expect to see something?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
From what I'm seeing, it looks a lot like it's not going to be at the Tokyo Auto Show. I asked two of the editors for car mags that I know, and they said there is zero proof they have seen that it will be present.

I'm hedging my bet on NAIAS, although I hope I'm wrong because I'd feel bad for those going to the Tokyo Auto Show.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
From what I'm seeing, it looks a lot like it's not going to be at the Tokyo Auto Show. I asked two of the editors for car mags that I know, and they said there is zero proof they have seen that it will be present.

I'm hedging my bet on NAIAS, although I hope I'm wrong because I'd feel bad for those going to the Tokyo Auto Show.
At least have the Z to look forward to

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
More excited for that anyways at this point... I'm really not excited for the Supra as a potential owner (I prefer pure engineering pedigree). I do enjoy talking about it and I'm sure it will be a great car however.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
Is the Z suppose to be shown? That's really cool :)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.