Is 50F too cold for the Michelin summer tire?

lowlife

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2004 VW R32
I mean if you are going to pick any sports car to drive in the winter this isn’t a bad choice, all aluminum and plastic body panels, underbody is pretty well sealed up the elements thanks to all the underbody aero and most suspension components are aluminum. Along as you run it thru the Touch free wash here and there it should be fine.
I'm gonna drive mine in the winter in Boston, MA I buy the cars to drive them like I did with M2, Mustang, 135i and a million others.

OP
OP

Itengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
You will be not fine with the michelins, around 40 degrees they will have a significant drop in performance and turn into hockey pucks. My first winter here in Wisconsin, I tried driving my MKIV VW R32 (AWD) in the snow on them and just spun like crazy and when it was dry they felt rock hard and couldn't get any traction. You don't need to store them special or anything just don't drive on them. If they are on the car parked for the winter thats okay.

It looks like tire rack doesn't have anything available yet for the Supra as far as winter wheel and tire packages go. My best suggestion would be find a set of cheap 18s or 17s that fit and then get some winter tires like blizzaks or something else like that if you want to drive in the winter. I personally just have a daily that I use all winter long and my Supra will be put up for the season at the end of October.
Great. I may end up doing that

OP
OP

Itengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
please tell me you got another car other than the A90? lol
I do. Just deciding if I should park it all Winter or not

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
I had mine out a few times in the winter with all season tires. It drove fine. I did not take it out in the snow. I did make the mistake of taking it out a few days after it had snow and the snow had melted. There was road salt residue on the lower half of the car. I have the dark blue color, so this residue really showed up.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Don't forget to adjust the insurance accordingly, if you don't want to pay extra for a car you won't drive for a while.. It makes sense for me in MI.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Meh, I bought last March 2 and was driving that week in upper 30 degree weather, dry roads. Totally fine. I would not drive probably lower than 35 . My plan is to put her away as soon as it hits mid 30’s regularly till spring. I’ll drive my Jeep till then. The plan is to get snows though for next winter since my son will start driving then and he’ll be getting the Jeep.....unless I get another winter beater.....hmmmm.

Toast

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, GR86
As soon as there's any snow or slush on the ground, I can't trust summer tires. I pushed a set on my WRX well into November in northern NY, and when the roads were dry or just wet, no problems. The first bit of light snow or slush, and even with all wheel drive I had way too many close calls, even at slow speeds. My only concern with the temperature when there's no snow is if the compound is going to act stupid and break down faster (tire rack article).

Describing them as hockey pucks is accurate.

I'm in the process right now of taking as many recreational drives as possible to get my car past the breakin period. I'd like to have some fun before I garage it for the winter and switch to the WRX with snow tires.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

kiroshino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 WRX STI
It looks like tire rack doesn't have anything available yet for the Supra as far as winter wheel and tire packages go
Something is a little off with their search system. It doesn't seem to like the Supra's staggered tire setup.

You need to shop for Wheels first, then Create a Package. You'll notice that there are no Winter tires available to select. Go to the main menu and shop for Tires by Size. You'll need to shop for front and rear tires separately, so remove the "Add a Different Rear Tire Size". Once you add tires to the cart, it will ask you about mounting/balancing. You can verify before checkout.

That's how I ordered my winter set anyway.

ZtoSupra

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 Supra, ‘08 FJ; traded ‘03 Touring Z
You will be not fine with the michelins, around 40 degrees they will have a significant drop in performance and turn into hockey pucks. My first winter here in Wisconsin, I tried driving my MKIV VW R32 (AWD) in the snow on them and just spun like crazy and when it was dry they felt rock hard and couldn't get any traction. You don't need to store them special or anything just don't drive on them. If they are on the car parked for the winter thats okay.

It looks like tire rack doesn't have anything available yet for the Supra as far as winter wheel and tire packages go. My best suggestion would be find a set of cheap 18s or 17s that fit and then get some winter tires like blizzaks or something else like that if you want to drive in the winter. I personally just have a daily that I use all winter long and my Supra will be put up for the season at the end of October.
Thanks for the temperature info!

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. Hard to find Winters in this size so it might need to be stored till April
Goodyear F1’s or Continental Contratracs (sp?) are both good All Season and available in the OE sizes. Ordering a set of the F1’s for the winter now. Use them year around on my MINI and they perform fine. Had Contratracs on a Jetta VR6 in Co, and they handled the snow just fine.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I've owned several RWD cars and they all did not do very well in the cold temps regardless of tires. Only snow tires in the snow did it do okay, but it was a 3500lbs car and looked awful with skinny tires/wheels and salt all over the car.

I hibernated my Supra several weeks ago. I own several AWD cars and I use one of them through winter as a fun car/daily driver. No sense corroding all of them through ice melt and flying salt rocks.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I've owned several RWD cars and they all did not do very well in the cold temps regardless of tires. Only snow tires in the snow did it do okay, but it was a 3500lbs car and looked awful with skinny tires/wheels and salt all over the car.

I hibernated my Supra several weeks ago. I own several AWD cars and I use one of them through winter as a fun car/daily driver. No sense corroding all of them through ice melt and flying salt rocks.
Yep. I told the wife when the new STI gets unveiled we need one as a winter car. I just hope they didn't take the awesome looking concept and turned it into a bland Camry with a wing look....... again :rolleyes:

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Yep. I told the wife when the new STI gets unveiled we need one as a winter car. I just hope they didn't take the awesome looking concept and turned it into a bland Camry with a wing look....... again :rolleyes:
I like my VA STI. I also own a VA WRX as well. They don't look anything like a Camry as you stated.
Sponsored