Is 50F too cold for the Michelin summer tire?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I like my VA STI. I also own a VA WRX as well. They don't look anything like a Camry as you stated.
I owned a VA STI too. And they most definitely do. Only problem is they're slower than a Camry now
Look at older models of the STI, flared wheel arches, aggressive bumpers, they were mean looking. Now they just took a sedan, smacked a wing on, done. The WRX is even worse with that little lip on the trunk.
Look at the VA concept, and then what it turned into.
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I owned a VA STI too. And they most definitely do. Only problem is they're slower than a Camry now
Look at older models of the STI, flared wheel arches, aggressive bumpers, they were mean looking. Now they just took a sedan, smacked a wing on, done. The WRX is even worse with that little lip on the trunk.
Look at the VA concept, and then what it turned into.
That is only your opinion and I disagree. Something was wrong with your STI if slower than a Camry. Anyway, done discussing. GL to you.

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0 MT
Starting to get cold
I imagine 40F or below would require Winter tires
Pretty sure I can feel the difference in the rubber of the super sports at around 50F/10C. That being said, I have winters for this car using the OEM rims and they do feel better, but they ain't magic.

Last edited:

Cybermoose

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium, 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe, 2015 Kia Soul +
I got stuck with my other car in the shop last winter not long after I got my Supra, and had to take it to work in like, 40 degree weather and some rain for two or three days. Drive carefully and it isn't a huge issue - you just have to understand there's not much grip there, because the tires really are basically hockey pucks at that point. But yeah, summer tires in the snow just don't work, period. My other car is an AWD E92 and my first winter I had it, I made the mistake of thinking the AWD would save me even with the summer Hankooks on it. I was extremely incorrect. So if you're daily driving your Supra, get some winter tires, or get used to getting stuck.

I kept the E92 specifically for winter, though - I don't want to go through the effort of hibernating the Supra and I figure there's going to be a dry day once every week or two where I can take it to the gym and give it a 10-15m drive around town, just to keep fluids circulated. It's about all I'm doing right now, anyway. And yeah, it's garaged, so no big deal there.

OP
OP

Itengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Update..

Put Michelin Alpin 4 tires on the car on OEM rims.

Awesome. Drove today in 1 inch melting snow. Grip was fantastic.
Only issue I see is the need for a frequent carwash

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Update..

Put Michelin Alpin 4 tires on the car on OEM rims.

Awesome. Drove today in 1 inch melting snow. Grip was fantastic.
Only issue I see is the need for a frequent carwash

On stock wheels? Sizes?

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
On stock wheels? Sizes?
There are not many choices for AS tires for the rear. Michelin, Continentals and Goodyear Eagles as far as I know. Put the Goodyear’s on the car once we had consistent temps below 45F with a set of black OEM rims. Black rims change the look of the car.

Attachments

OP
OP

Itengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
On stock wheels? Sizes?
Yes. Stock wheels
front: p255/35r19,
rear: p275/35r19

Alpin 5 was not available. Had to go with Alpin 4 but impressed.
I have Michelin Pilot A/S on my G37 and they don't feel as stuck to the road as this one does on snowy roads.
Had 'em installed at Costco and saved the Summer tires. The summer tires without the wheels are actually quite light so no issues transporting them back home

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Deuce...Deuce...on the dash. Daily driver rolling around town with no problems on stock tires.
74516.jpg
Until it is a problem and you find your car the next day with a flat tire because the rubber has torn lol. They make those recommendations for a reason.

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
I've owned several RWD cars and they all did not do very well in the cold temps regardless of tires. Only snow tires in the snow did it do okay, but it was a 3500lbs car and looked awful with skinny tires/wheels and salt all over the car.

I hibernated my Supra several weeks ago. I own several AWD cars and I use one of them through winter as a fun car/daily driver. No sense corroding all of them through ice melt and flying salt rocks.
I certainly agree in not wanting all the road salt and slag on a very nice new or otherwise sports car. But as to rwd how did we ever survive as a species before fwd/awd came main stream? I'd take any rwd car I've ever owned with snow tires any day of the week in winter over 4wd with bald tires that you see all too often. Not saying you, but so many people every day think because they have 4wd they can do anything, but to them news flash 4wd doesn't help you stop. I had posted in another thread, but in 20 years of being in MI I only had one fwd car for 4 years of it, the rest has been rwd. The only time I swipe the wifes 2000 wrangler is if snow gets too high, not for the fwd/4wd capability. When I was dailying my z4 after lowering I only have 4" clearance on the front, so if the forecast was 6" or more in a day I opted for the jeep so I didn't plow the roads in the z. When I changed jobs was when I decided to not daily the z to work because they really lay down the salt and it takes a good 2-3 early spring rains before the salt dust is all gone. Current daily is my E82 128. But as in my other post, my mk3 supra, z, 128, mustang eco boost all did just fine in MI winters. All too often I think people just forget how to drive and use common sense when as I use the panic phrase "The sky is falling" for any time it rains or snows.

As to tires, I like the way I heard someone once say years ago. You wouldn't run in hiking boots, you wouldn't hike in water socks, so why would you have summer tires in wintery conditions. Just like you're shoes to your feet tires are the thing that touches the ground and should always be looked at first. If in a rwd car on summer tires in winter you can't really blame it on the rwd car for handling issues.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I certainly agree in not wanting all the road salt and slag on a very nice new or otherwise sports car. But as to rwd how did we ever survive as a species before fwd/awd came main stream? I'd take any rwd car I've ever owned with snow tires any day of the week in winter over 4wd with bald tires that you see all too often. Not saying you, but so many people every day think because they have 4wd they can do anything, but to them news flash 4wd doesn't help you stop. I had posted in another thread, but in 20 years of being in MI I only had one fwd car for 4 years of it, the rest has been rwd. The only time I swipe the wifes 2000 wrangler is if snow gets too high, not for the fwd/4wd capability. When I was dailying my z4 after lowering I only have 4" clearance on the front, so if the forecast was 6" or more in a day I opted for the jeep so I didn't plow the roads in the z. When I changed jobs was when I decided to not daily the z to work because they really lay down the salt and it takes a good 2-3 early spring rains before the salt dust is all gone. Current daily is my E82 128. But as in my other post, my mk3 supra, z, 128, mustang eco boost all did just fine in MI winters. All too often I think people just forget how to drive and use common sense when as I use the panic phrase "The sky is falling" for any time it rains or snows.

As to tires, I like the way I heard someone once say years ago. You wouldn't run in hiking boots, you wouldn't hike in water socks, so why would you have summer tires in wintery conditions. Just like you're shoes to your feet tires are the thing that touches the ground and should always be looked at first. If in a rwd car on summer tires in winter you can't really blame it on the rwd car for handling issues.
100% this. Drivetrain layout doesn't matter. Tires do.
A FWD or RWD on winter tires will easily outperform an AWD or 4x4 on summers.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm gonna drive mine in the winter in Boston, MA I buy the cars to drive them like I did with M2, Mustang, 135i and a million others.

Got your lawn chair ready to save your spot when it snows?? Ugh, I work with people who live in Boston. Some of the stories I hear about fights and trying to save spots after a snowstorm make me cringe for them.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yep. I told the wife when the new STI gets unveiled we need one as a winter car. I just hope they didn't take the awesome looking concept and turned it into a bland Camry with a wing look....... again :rolleyes:

I haven't been following STI news in a while. Are they still planning on keeping the EJ in the new STI?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I haven't been following STI news in a while. Are they still planning on keeping the EJ in the new STI?
No supposedly it's getting the 2.4 liter FA engine from the Ascent. I think they're going to bore/stroke it to 2.5 liters myself, and hopefully strap on a decent twin scroll. Gonna be sad if they don't put unequal length headers on it though. Gotta have the rumble.
Sponsored