Not open for further replies.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
The Elise/Exige platform would make for a perfect traditional MR2 especially since they’ve used Toyota 1ZZ-GE engines.

But... I don’t think it would meet modern crash standards for all markets today. It also won’t support any extra weight from electrification.

I think it is far more likely that the tooling will be bought and used by a small low volume classic sportscar manufacturer or kit car maker rather than Toyota.

Still, I agree with your sentiment. The Elise/Exige is a near perfect and timeless small mid engine car design.
Yeah they'd obviously have to modify it to make it road legal everywhere, which sadly means adding weight, but it could be fantastic. An Elise/Exige badged as an MR2. Yes please.
Sponsored

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
I don't think it would be priced anywhere near the C8. Toyota is good at keeping the new versions of cars around the same relative price as the old one. The Supra didn't follow the GT-Rs move up the cost ladder, to a point where it doesn't make sense to buy one anymore. If it was to return, I feel Toyota would try to keep it affordable. Somewhere between 30k-45k. Between the GR86 and 2.0 Supra.

Remember, Toyota doesn't view itself as a high-performance brand (thankfully). They don't think they're BMW or Porsche. The Corvette has always been about trying to compete with high performance cars. Toyota has always been about fun and affordable fun cars. The MK4 Supra was fast relative to the performance cars at the time, but so were the other Japanese performance cars at the time.

Long story short, I think if the MR2 was to return, it wouldn't be as expensive as a C8. Nor would it out perform the Supra, since that's the halo car.

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
It sounds to me like they’ll price it close to the MSRP of a base Porsche 911 or Cayman GT4. Last rumor was that the MR2 is supposed to sell for about $90,000 USD.
I still find it disappointing that the traditional “budget affordable mid engine” Toyota sportscar formula won’t be a part of the new MR2.
Yeah, I don’t see the point of a USD 90k MR2. Such a car has no similarity to former MR2s. The Supra was always the Toyota halo sports car, with the MR2 below it as a less powerful but more affordable car.

The Elise/Exige platform would make for a perfect traditional MR2 especially since they’ve used Toyota 1ZZ-GE engines.
Agreed!

But... I don’t think it would meet modern crash standards for all markets today. It also won’t support any extra weight from electrification.
Yeah, I cannot see Toyota releasing an MR2 that can’t pass modern safety tests, or one without some form of electrification to pass emissions. I think the GR86 and Supra are likely to be Toyota’s last pure ICE sports cars. Expect hybrid or even full EV for future ones. This would see to rule out using the very old Elise/Exige platform or tooling - even though that would be awesome.

Having said that… Tesla did manage to repurpose the Elise platform for their original full EV roadster. But they spent a fortune on them, and did things like using resin moulded carbon fibre composite body panels to keep weight down, which obviously adds tremendously to the price.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
My bet is on Lotus for this if a V6 hybrid is likely. They do have the platform for it and they also just developed a new small lightweight EV architecture that they want to scale down to the size of an Elise successor... as a pure EV. I think the latter (EV Elise successor) is not immediately what Akio is focused on even if Lotus is for the long term.

Hopefully this gets built.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
https://carbuzz.com/news/toyota-mr2-will-be-reborn-with-help-from-porsche

If they'll release the supposed MR2 near Supra's end of production, I'd get the similar price tag, otherwise doesn't make sense. If EV and 90k, it'll need more bells and whistles to convince me to pay and switch to golf cart noises.
If it's co-developed with Porsche it will probably be a full EV MR since that is the direction the next Boxster and Cayman are supposed to be going in.

If it's co-developed with Lotus then my bet will be on the V6 hybrid MR drivetrain (almost undoubtedly automatic-only).

$90k territory was the speculation some months back for an all-EV MR2. If they go with Porsche then it makes me wonder where the new Cayman and Boxster price in their own lineup since their base model 911 Carrera without options starts at $101k USD (they plan to make the 911 the last model in their lineup to go full-EV). Already it's kind of crazy that the entry fee (before the inevitable dealer markup) getting a basic no-frills new 911 costs THAT much today.

It really makes me wonder about how the entire Porsche sportscar lineup will be priced in the future even further out of the scope of relative attainability.

Back to the MR2 and the possibility of it being reborn as a 100% EV, I've long felt that one solution to the lack of (much) noise issue in an EV sportscar lies within the gears driving the wheels: make it a 2-speed at least (to maximize low end acceleration and maximize top speed potential) and use gears closer to being straight cut style than conventional quiet helical gears inside that gearbox.

That plus the cool high pitched whine that performance oriented electric motors make should be pretty cool.

Although the elephant in the room will still be the batteries. The Porsche Taycan is very impressive but it is SO heavy due to the size and weight of lithium-ion packs plus the limitations of that technology when you drive flat out repeatedly. Porsche seems to be the best at it so far but we really need to see a good solid state pack design come to market or perhaps sodium-based cell design. Or hydrogen fuel cell.... if the infrastructure for it ever takes off.

I'm glad that a new MR2 is being developed at all but IF it were to become a full EV design then I'd MUCH rather Toyota jump onboard with Lotus for their compact EV platform that they want to develop a spiritual electric Elise successor car from:

https://jalopnik.com/lotus-is-determined-to-make-a-lightweight-ev-sports-car-1847838556

Tetsuya Tada has previously said he'd like to work with Porsche on a new MR2 so that could still be the route that he goes.

Also, Toyota had better not just give up on the Supra again after the current generation's MY2026.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Why!?!?! Is the market really that hot for a small non-exotic mid-engine sports car??? Toyota needs to get rid of their Marketing team and hire actual car people who know the reality of the automotive scene.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Why!?!?! Is the market really that hot for a small non-exotic mid-engine sports car??? Toyota needs to get rid of their Marketing team and hire actual car people who know the reality of the automotive scene.
Do you not personally like any previous generations of the MR2?

I disagree. I’m glad that any new type of MR2 is getting development consideration at all rather than yet another obnoxious crossover, CUV or SUV.

Besides, the CEO of Toyota and his hand-picked chief sportscar designer both want a new MR2.

And yes, I’d say there are plenty of people who will jump on this car if it comes to fruition. Based on the overall public reaction to the Supra MKV, GT86 & GR86, GR Yaris and upcoming GR Corolla.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Do you not personally like any previous generations of the MR2?

I disagree. I’m glad that any new type of MR2 is getting development consideration at all rather than yet another obnoxious crossover, CUV or SUV.

Besides, the CEO of Toyota and his hand-picked chief sportscar designer both want a new MR2.

And yes, I’d say there are plenty of people who will jump on this car if it comes to fruition. Based on the overall public reaction to the Supra MKV, GT86 & GR86, GR Yaris and upcoming GR Corolla.
I like MR2’s, especially the older ones….but, I think their allure has more to do with their “era-uniqueness” than an actual demand for a non-exotic mid-engine sports car. Don’t forget, the 90’s MR2’s were FI and came with “baby 2JZ’s” which is also a big factor. It’s sort of like why people don’t buy a used Lotus Elise over an MR2, even though (in similar great shape) they are in close price proximity. Both small mid-engine two seaters with Toyota motors. I think people who buy mid-engine sports cars nowadays are probably looking for something exotic, which a new MR2 won’t be.

Toyota should keep the 86 & Supra, and focus their funds on evolving those platforms. Eh, what do I know right.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like MR2’s, especially the older ones….but, I think their allure has more to do with their “era-uniqueness” than an actual demand for a non-exotic mid-engine sports car. Don’t forget, the 90’s MR2’s were FI and came with “baby 2JZ’s” which is also a big factor. It’s sort of like why people don’t buy a used Lotus Elise over an MR2, even though (in similar great shape) they are in close price proximity. Both small mid-engine two seaters with Toyota motors. I think people who buy mid-engine sports cars nowadays are probably looking for something exotic, which a new MR2 won’t be.

Toyota should keep the 86 & Supra, and focus their funds on evolving those platforms. Eh, what do I know right.
The 3S-GTE was indeed a "baby 1JZ/2JZ" engine. They certainly evolved it more than the JZ series ever was (unless you count the very not boost friendly 1JZ/2JZ-FSE direct injection motors with dual VVT-i cams).

I'm very familiar with the SW20 Turbos. A good friend of mine owned one some years back and gave its engine the works. That thing was a compact monster sportscar.

But I think you're forgetting that the appeal of MR2's is that they have always been attainable lightweight sportscars. Car enthusiasts with much more disposable income have often passed over the SW20 Turbos in favor of more expensive and more exclusive sportscars.

Until talk of the MR2 coming back but this time going WAY upmarket compared to previous generations it was one of THE attainable MR sportscars in the world if you were never ever going to be able to afford a Lamborghini dream car.

A $90k MR2 EV may change things but it'll also have to compete in a higher bracket... or maybe IT will be the "more attainable" two-seater compact EV car compared to more upmarket alternatives.

With a much tighter sportscar market these days whatever IS on the market in whatever price bracket it is in tends to stand out more to car enthusiast people shopping within the range they can afford to.

If an MR2 is in your price range you might well consider it... as a car enthusiast. If it isn't then whatever enthusiast car is actually within or very close to your price range is what you'll be more likely to focus on.

That is, of course, if it can fit into your life easily enough. As with the Supra MKV, having only two seats doesn't work for everyone.

Historically the MR2 has been a very exceptional way to get a fun little MR car at a price that a lot of people could reach. That will not be quite the case this time but how much depends on how this model's development turns out.

At the end of the day, however, no matter how it turns out and no matter what the final MSRP (before dealer markups) is set on... what is wrong with a relatively low volume new MR2 of any kind being produced for public consumption?

The GR86 as is will go on for as many model years as it can until it will have to become a hybrid or a full EV... and the same will be true for the Supra. That is, if Toyota does the smart thing and KEEPS the Supra alive as a pure sportscar no matter what electrification is required (the rumor of the Supra being retired *again* is so, so stupid...).

The MR2 unfortunately is not going to be a super lightweight MR with an inexpensive pure gasoline engine and a stick again due to electrification and emissions mandates. So it has to become another expression of itself if it is to return. The direction seems to be taking up from where the SW20 Turbo left off and jumping up much higher in performance, weight and price.

Last edited:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Status
Not open for further replies.