Is Toyota working on a new MR-2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiroshino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 WRX STI
Unpopular opinion, but maybe they can do a collaboration with Honda and bring over a beefed up S660.
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Unpopular opinion, but maybe they can do a collaboration with Honda and bring over a beefed up S660.
Actually given the trend towards more than one automaker besides just Toyota doing collaborations for their niche sports cars, I'd be fine with this. The S660 is a great car and I do wish we could get it as-is in the U.S. but I think it would have to be an enlarged, scaled up or beefed up version of that chassis.

Honda did toy with an "S1000" idea for a while. That could be something. But we're just speculating here as I haven't heard of Honda and Toyota talking about any collaboration let alone over the S660 platform.

But that is a really good idea I have to admit... if it could be scaled up to the AW11 MR-2 or MR2 Spyder size.

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
Interesting reads on the 86 forum. Entering the speculation zone, a rough translation of the article says turbo hybrid V6. And Ichitaka05 saying "It's all up to how one of the deal works out the deal (I think). But who know, we might be able to see sooner... but I wouldn't hold my breath." Makes me think Toyota would possibly want to partner with Lotus for the Mid Engine archetype, since they currently run the Toyo V6 (supercharged) in their entire line up.

Also, Lotus is working on a new line up of cars using the same platform as the Evija hypercar, and they're stating these cars will be the using IC engines for the foreseeable future before they go full electric. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26840577/lotus-future-cars-plans/ I doubt they'll stray away from the Toyo V6, and maybe Toyota could split the development costs involving the new platform Lotus is planning on using? Exiting speculation zone.

At least Ichitaka05 is confirming Toyota IS working on some kind of MR sports car.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Interesting reads on the 86 forum. Entering the speculation zone, a rough translation of the article says turbo hybrid V6. And Ichitaka05 saying "It's all up to how one of the deal works out the deal (I think). But who know, we might be able to see sooner... but I wouldn't hold my breath." Makes me think Toyota would possibly want to partner with Lotus for the Mid Engine archetype, since they currently run the Toyo V6 (supercharged) in their entire line up.

Also, Lotus is working on a new line up of cars using the same platform as the Evija hypercar, and they're stating these cars will be the using IC engines for the foreseeable future before they go full electric. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26840577/lotus-future-cars-plans/ I doubt they'll stray away from the Toyo V6, and maybe Toyota could split the development costs involving the new platform Lotus is planning on using? Exiting speculation zone.

At least Ichitaka05 is confirming Toyota IS working on some kind of MR sports car.
a Toyota and Lotus team up does make more sense than Porsche. maybe we'll see a new Elise / MR2 & Evora / Supra. both of those cars are old as dirt and the current model's MSRP do fall inline with Bestcar's pricing. :dunno:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
this was posted on our sister forum. with those huge side air ducts is it suppose to be some kind of mid engine test mule? :dunno::what:

attachment.jpg
It could just be a GRMN 86 test mule with a more aggressive body kit. But it’s really exciting if this is an MR2 test mule.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
It could just be a GRMN 86 test mule with a more aggressive body kit. But it’s really exciting if this is an MR2 test mule.
could be, but its based on the 1st gen and A70 said Toyota is pretty much hands off when it came the GR86.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.