JB4 for noobs (beginners)

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Ok starting this thread because y’all are like tech wizards or engineers and I’m looking for the most basic lingo definitions and where to start. If there’s an idiots guide thread for this, lemme know (I’ll gladly delete this, if possible lol)!

1) Find a good custom tuner (such as @Jesse DaBears) or decide to use the JB4 app program maps.
2) After installing the JB4 ,
download the JB4 app (yes you have to pay for a quality product- found a thread on that)
3) Create an account in the app via settings.
4) Connect via Bluetooth (I believe the JB4 with Bluetooth recognizes our Supras - I found my engine in the firmware and it connected!!!)
5) Do some logging for your custom tune if not using a map. When connected hit the start logging button before you floor it and hit the button again when at top of target speed.
6) The app has a “logs” button at the bottom. After you’ve done a few “pulls” or “logs” you will see only one entry. Despite doing multiple logs/pulls/runs during the same day.
7) You should rename each log entry for better description. Clicking on the most recent log entry to rename (such as adding the date in front of the log).
8) From the same log entry screen, you can email your logs to your tuner.
9) Your tuner will send you back specific instructions on what to change and how to do it.
10) Keep repeating this process until your tune is complete or you make significant change to your car again.
11) So far, this process has been ultra-smooth. More than I expected! Any other suggestions or videos, please comment or add for other non techies like me 😗😜

F786225F-EA40-4BB3-9A3D-62227029D299.png

Appreciate all the advice in advance and will keep updating (editing this post) ✌🏼
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
36CFDAC1-4DFD-4543-9E0A-4FDE99225A26.jpeg

Assuming I can keep this only on while using. Will update when I find out

Last edited:

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Great thread. I have some basic questions that are too stupid to have been answered anywhere else - can someone please help?

With a completely stock car running 93ULP petrol:

1. What performance gains can I expect from a JB+?
2. What performance gains can I expect from a JB4 standard preset tune?
3. What performance gains can I expect from a JB4 custom tune?

Can someone please tell me what torque and power gains are typical for the three scenarios listed above?

Thanks!

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Great thread. I have some basic questions that are too stupid to have been answered anywhere else - can someone please help?

With a completely stock car running 93ULP petrol:

1. What performance gains can I expect from a JB+?
2. What performance gains can I expect from a JB4 standard preset tune?
3. What performance gains can I expect from a JB4 custom tune?

Can someone please tell me what torque and power gains are typical for the three scenarios listed above?

Thanks!
Working with a general rule of thumb that +1 PSI = +10 hp

1. The JB+ is basically a dial which dictates how much boost you want to add (I think up to 4 PSI, but owners, please correct me if I'm wrong)

2. Depends on your map, and different maps require different fuel. I'm assuming 93 ULP is 93 octane in the USA? Map 2 is probably a safe bet with a +4 additive PSI over what your turbo is producing.

3. Again, depends on what fuel and mods you're running. The main advantage I have on pump gas is that the power delivery is light years better than a preset map.

CarNut

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cayman 718, Mustang GT, F-150
Thanks for starting this thread. JB4 and custom map from Jesse on order. Waiting for my wire transfer to fund with the dealer so the transport company can pick up my 2022 3.0.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
36CFDAC1-4DFD-4543-9E0A-4FDE99225A26.jpeg

Assuming I can keep this only on while using. Will update when I find out
It doesn't need to know your location. It has some shitty thing built in that tries to give you 0-60 times, but it's trash.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Working with a general rule of thumb that +1 PSI = +10 hp

1. The JB+ is basically a dial which dictates how much boost you want to add (I think up to 4 PSI, but owners, please correct me if I'm wrong)

2. Depends on your map, and different maps require different fuel. I'm assuming 93 ULP is 93 octane in the USA? Map 2 is probably a safe bet with a +4 additive PSI over what your turbo is producing.
Thanks for the information. We actually call our highest grade of petrol "98" here in Australia, but my understanding is that it is roughly equivalent to US 93 Unleaded Petrol.

3. Again, depends on what fuel and mods you're running. The main advantage I have on pump gas is that the power delivery is light years better than a preset map.
I only ever plan on running 98 (US 93) in my car and staying stock (or very very close to) for the time being.

Considering this, am I right in understanding that while stock, going from a JB+ to a JB4 with either preset/custom tunes is a relatively marginal upgrade, performance wise? I know the JB4 can do more and has more potential, but do you think the improvement in power delivery is worth the price of admission over a quick and cheap JB+?

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the information. We actually call our highest grade of petrol "98" here in Australia, but my understanding is that it is roughly equivalent to US 93 Unleaded Petrol.

I only ever plan on running 98 (US 93) in my car and staying stock (or very very close to) for the time being.

Considering this, am I right in understanding that while stock, going from a JB+ to a JB4 with either preset/custom tunes is a relatively marginal upgrade, performance wise? I know the JB4 can do more and has more potential, but do you think the improvement in power delivery is worth the price of admission over a quick and cheap JB+?
Have you considered a cold air intake or better flowing exhaust (no downpipe)? But still a great question. I bet Jessie would know. Feel free to shoot him a message. Great guy!

As for myself, I'll be damned.... the JB4 app connected to my car on my way home from work today!!!!! And I didn't even have to pick the engine. I think my subconscious read it somewhere with the Bluetooth option it recognizes our engine 🤯. I did have to create an account and added a few steps on the 1st post of this thread. Super stoked to look for a hurricane debris free zone to do some pulls, logs, or whatever you call em to send to @Jesse DaBears tomorrow :flame:

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Have you considered a cold air intake or better flowing exhaust (no downpipe)? But still a great question. I bet Jessie would know. Feel free to shoot him a message. Great guy!
I'm still in waiting hell.. I have a MY23 manual on order, eta March next year. 😭

And I plan to keep it as stock as I can for a while - I tend to keep cars for at least a decade - so was wondering what I could do the first few years to give me a little boost. If I get bored of that after a few years I can then look at giving it more beans as required.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Is there some setting I'm unaware of to change the display style or is this an iOS vs. Android thing?

I feel like I'm stuck in the 90s:

Screenshot_20221011-120946 - Copy.png
Yeah, it's in there somewhere. You can change it.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core

As for myself, I'll be damned.... the JB4 app connected to my car on my way home from work today!!!!! And I didn't even have to pick the engine. I think my subconscious read it somewhere with the Bluetooth option it recognizes our engine 🤯. I did have to create an account and added a few steps on the 1st post of this thread. Super stoked to look for a hurricane debris free zone to do some pulls, logs, or whatever you call em to send to @Jesse DaBears tomorrow :flame:
Seconded for @Jesse DaBears for a custom tune. He'll ask you what mods you're running to get you the best tune for your setup.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
What I've learned using the JB4 I run 91oct U.S. with a bit of e85 to keep things safe-ish:
1. The pre-loaded maps weren't very good. I suppose better than nothing, but not worth $500+. At one point, my car completely cut power because boost was getting weird. Not fun on anything other than map 2.
2. Adding custom tune settings is worth it. It's then worth $500+.
3. The "Power gains of up to 100hp (80whp) on a stock vehicle..." claim is just plain misleading, as evidenced by real-world users and screen shots on their website. I'd rather them just be honest.
4. Fun for around town and wearing out rear tires. I'm gonna be a bit sad when I have to disable it for track use 😂
5. I had trouble getting it to read and delete codes. It seemed to freeze on me, though the code was gone when I went to start the car next time. Weird, but eh well.
Sponsored