JB4 for noobs (beginners)

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Do you do this to increase the octane level? I've never messed with e85 and I don't think we even have it here in Oz.
Kinda. E25-E30 seems to be the most popular. It reduces the chance of knock. It's a bit of a hassle estimating that my e85 pump is prob e70.... Then doing more math to estimate how much approx E70 + 91oct = approx E25 lol.
Too much ethanol and I run lean. Too little and your tuning map is off...
And I have no dyno charts to tell me if any of it's worth it or not.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Kinda. E25-E30 seems to be the most popular. It reduces the chance of knock. It's a bit of a hassle estimating that my e85 pump is prob e70.... Then doing more math to estimate how much approx E70 + 91oct = approx E25 lol.
Too much ethanol and I run lean. Too little and your tuning map is off...
And I have no dyno charts to tell me if any of it's worth it or not.
Sounds like too much of a hassle to me. 🤷‍♂️ That's why I just stick to 98/93.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Do you do this to increase the octane level? I've never messed with e85 and I don't think we even have it here in Oz.
Great question! Was wondering that myself. We’ve got all kinds of options here in SWFL, even at my Costco. So I could do it but I’m sure I’d fuck it up unless there were very specific instructions on how much E85 to mix with my 93 unleaded. If I knew, I could pay Jessie to do a specific map for me for that with my mods. Thus, I’m sticking to 93 octane for now. When I get bored I can go down that rabbit 🐰 hole another day… 😂

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Here's a noob question: Can crackles and pops be adjusted through the use of the JB4?

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Suspected this, but I remember someone here mentioning it could. Gracias!
So weird mine are gone after my Mad catless downpipe and AWE Track like you. I’m not complaining but haven’t done my tune yet. Hell, I’m still trying to find an alignment shop down here post hurricane 😂

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
So weird mine are gone after my Mad catless downpipe and AWE Track like you. I’m not complaining but haven’t done my tune yet. Hell, I’m still trying to find an alignment shop down here post hurricane 😂
That's very odd! If anything it should increase without a cat filtering the gas that goes bang pop crackle bang detonating in the exhaust. I will say, and the reason I asked the question about the JB4 controlling this, is that they seemed to be more muted after I installed the device. May just be coincidental. I'm interested to see how this is affected by the catless downpipe going on next month.

I'll also throw out there that I noticed a big decrease in burbles when coding in and running Sport Plus mode. Since coding it out and switching back to Sport (due to JB4 and xHP), the burbles have returned. I think this may be contrary to what others have posted here.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Burbles change because it’s load/torque based if I recall correctly.

since the JB4 tricks the car into seeing lower load/torque to increase boost, it can mess with it

I’ll look into the tables at some point today to double check

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Great question! Was wondering that myself. We’ve got all kinds of options here in SWFL, even at my Costco. So I could do it but I’m sure I’d fuck it up unless there were very specific instructions on how much E85 to mix with my 93 unleaded. If I knew, I could pay Jessie to do a specific map for me for that with my mods. Thus, I’m sticking to 93 octane for now. When I get bored I can go down that rabbit 🐰 hole another day… 😂
Our cars can run up to e25-30 so adding a bit of e85 can be safer. I wouldn't tune for power based on it because I don't feel like keeping track of all that and I don't have a gauge installed. You would need to keep it at that percentage. ESPECIALLY on a JB4. However, I will add some to my pump gas tune on track days to keep things cooler and timing/boost where it should be.

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
I opted to start with JB+
BMS will let you upgrade thr JB+ to a JB4 and retain the paid value of the JB+ as long as its within a year of purchase.

More boost means more wheel spin, more power. For simplicity you can start with a JB+ and it might be enough for you until a ECU jailbreak comes to market for more detailed tuning.

I did a quick video of my JB+ experience at the track. Take it easy on me, lol

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Another noob question: I am having an issue saving my settings in v22 of the firmware. It doesn't matter if I load my map from a file or type all of the data in by hand. I hit the big green "save" button after doing either, it goes through the process of saving, the drops me out to the previous screen. When I go back into user settings, the default values are all in place. Map 6 is currently selected as the active map. Am I doing something wrong? I hadn't had this issue with previous versions of the firmware.
Sponsored