Votes: 25 25.3%
  • With air vents

Votes: 74 74.7%

• Total voters

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GUFF - you may be on to something. I wonder if Toyota really studied this and said hmm we're better off not having functional vents and is why we see the design we do today.

Still one thing that attracted me to the FT-1 going off the the video Calty did with Motor Trend shortly after its debut, things like 'Functional sculpting' saying every scoop, shape, lip and everything on the design had a purpose to create down force giving the idea that this car really had aerodynamics purposes not just looks. This led the idea that this could be the next Supra since the MKIV had a similar design element for its time. It's the small things that sold me on the idea of maybe owning this car one day. I'm just not so excited as I once was about this car TBH. Still nothing is concrete so I hope Toyota is seriously doing all this teasing to see what the world has to say about the aesthetics since that's all they are displaying so far. Maybe small things like this COULD be changed before its release.
Sponsored

Daigor

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
98 Toyota Supra
GUFF - you may be on to something. I wonder if Toyota really studied this and said hmm we're better off not having functional vents and is why we see the design we do today.

Still one thing that attracted me to the FT-1 going off the the video Calty did with Motor Trend shortly after its debut, things like 'Functional sculpting' saying every scoop, shape, lip and everything on the design had a purpose to create down force giving the idea that this car really had aerodynamics purposes not just looks. This led the idea that this could be the next Supra since the MKIV had a similar design element for its time. It's the small things that sold me on the idea of maybe owning this car one day. I'm just not so excited as I once was about this car TBH. Still nothing is concrete so I hope Toyota is seriously doing all this teasing to see what the world has to say about the aesthetics since that's all they are displaying so far. Maybe small things like this COULD be changed before its release.
In the design world, there's the phrase "Form follows Function?" Sadly what we have here is a watered down FT-1. Something that we were hoping won't happen in the Production vehicle. The Calty Designers focus their inspiration on the true heritage of the Supra. They incorporated design elements from MKIV and the Toyota 2000GT. All the shapes and scoops of the FT-1 were tested in a wind tunnel. What Toyota did instead was took a water hose and washed down the design and what is left is what we have now.

As Guff mentioned above, we COULD take a dremel and spend a weekend as a DYI project and have functional vents but why? If we are spending estimates of ~45K~65K why would we need to make ANY adjustments to the car. "It should just work"

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In the design world, there's the phrase "Form follows Function?" Sadly what we have here is a watered down FT-1. Something that we were hoping won't happen in the Production vehicle. The Calty Designers focus their inspiration on the true heritage of the Supra. They incorporated design elements from MKIV and the Toyota 2000GT. All the shapes and scoops of the FT-1 were tested in a wind tunnel. What Toyota did instead was took a water hose and washed down the design and what is left is what we have now.

As Guff mentioned above, we COULD take a dremel and spend a weekend as a DYI project and have functional vents but why? If we are spending estimates of ~45K~65K why would we need to make ANY adjustments to the car. "It should just work"
Cause Toyota isn't Porsche?

No disrespect because you are right that we SHOULD get a car that just works. Along with low weight, 400 HP and all other factors. But we might not get THE Supra as one might expect.

Toyota has a lot of money but they don't like to waste money for the sake of it. As an interview with Toyota working with BMW showed, Toyota likes to have a purpose with their cars. BMW or German philosophy you can say, do it because they can, nothing else and money isn't a problem. 2009-2010 was a dark time for Toyota and the fact we had an 86 after those two years is a miracle after Akio stepped in to give Tetsuya the project he always wanted to do at the time. Even then, they cut cost with Subaru.

Toyota tried their best here but if they made this sports car with just Toyota parts, this would be something rivaling NSX levels of cost or more. A baby LFA. This would make it impossible to be affordable by avid car enthusiasts. Better yet, this wouldn't even get through the board room because Toyota would scoff and reject the idea. a 100k+ Toyota? I can't imagine that at al. I would admit though, would probably top car lists all around as a magnificent machine and language and give Toyota a new brand awareness.

If anything, the only way we get a "real" Supra is if Lexus made the car, but it wouldn't be a successor. Toyota did a great job trying to replicate the looks of the FT-1 and make it functional but if you expected a batmobile kind of design at a 45-65k cost, I don't know what to tell you. It'd be a different story if they had the MKIV engine in the Ft-1 and was drive-able, but it only had a lawn mower engine.

EDub

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Mark II
Why are people so fixated on these vents? It almost sounds like they're a deal breaker for some people.

I feel like if youre planning on getting this car, it could be an easy first mod if you care? Personally I would probably shave the one off the door.

Last edited:

Daigor

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
98 Toyota Supra
Why are people so fixated on these vents? It almost sounds like they're a deal breaker for some people.

I feel like if youre planning on getting this car I could be an easy first mod if you care? Personally I would probably shave the one off the door.
Please scroll down and click the "Functionality" video of the following URL: https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/principleporsche/

To further understand why Functionality is important. Would you buy a house that had these for windows?

Fake Windows.jpg

EDub

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Mark II
For asthetics? To better show your point, there should be some mirrored chrome tint or some glass in that frame.

But seriously, they're small non functional vents, modern day cars are covered in these, just make them functional when you buy the car? It potentially being automatic only is more of a bummer for me.

Last edited:

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
To further understand why Functionality is important. Would you buy a house that had these for windows?

Fake Windows.jpg
That is a hilarious analogy, but I disagree with the underlying sentiment. The fake vents do serve a function; they're an astheticaly pleasing design element. Whether you agree with that is a matter of personal taste. Yet this type of thing is common. Carmakers add all sorts of lines, indentations, and materials to make their vehicles look modern and sexy without regard for function.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
As I said in my other post, these fake vents have probably an aftermarket function. From the pics I see that they are designed in such a way that is would permit tuners to develop OEM looking and OEM fitting body and wide body kits. Most wide body kits do not look good. Even race car wide bodies do not look good, but unlike road cars they have a function.

NewQ

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C7 STINGRAY
Vehicle Showcase
You want to look like a real thing, humfff

Winning cars - Track, Race cars Have functional vents - For no reason at ALL

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
To the people that are complaining about the fake vents. A70TTR & Supra93 had shown us a long time ago how the car would look without them, and a number of people complained about it looking "boring". Honestly, it seems like the naysayers won't be happy no matter what and will find something new to complain about.

qh5YiUH.png

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
To the people that are complaining about the fake vents. A70TTR & Supra93 had shown us a long time ago how the car would look without them, and a number of people complained about it looking "boring". Honestly, it seems like the naysayers won't be happy no matter what and will find something new to complain about.

qh5YiUH.png

The Supra is a tuner car and should always look good. It is easier to delete fake vents than to add functional looking fake vents.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Another thing: if the vents are fake on this Supra, it does not mean they would be fake on a different version of the Supra, like the GR or GRMN. The base Corvette has fake rear vents, if the car is not equipped with the optional tranny and diff cooler.

Sometimes, only one vent is functional, (BMW M3). Should they have foregone the second vent because it is not functional or does symmetry work as a function? The Alfa 4C (NA version) for example has only one functional vent, and no vent for symmetry. Is it better?

dshandy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Chevy Camaro SS, 2014 Audi A5
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...toyota-supra-tetsuya-tada-interview-goodwood/

There's a vent just under the headlight, which seems to direct air over the front wheels. Tada says this will be removable in the production car, "in case the user wants to make a racing version."

Hmm... just as A70 hinted. What I do find interesting is that the article goes further into the other vents also saying they will serve some form of functionality. Excited to see what comes of this!
Sponsored