Votes: 25 25.3%
  • With air vents

Votes: 74 74.7%

• Total voters

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...toyota-supra-tetsuya-tada-interview-goodwood/

There's a vent just under the headlight, which seems to direct air over the front wheels. Tada says this will be removable in the production car, "in case the user wants to make a racing version."

Hmm... just as A70 hinted. What I do find interesting is that the article goes further into the other vents also saying they will serve some form of functionality. Excited to see what comes of this!
This could also mean that that the entry level will come with the fake vents seen and the top trim have functioinal 'GR/TRD' aero vents which could be upgraded into the base model.

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
Liking what im hearing so far Toyota.

Good News on the vents. Hopefully another thing we all could be happy about!

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
For the door vent unless the production car has a hole in the door jam there’s no point making the vent functional as there will be no where for the air to go

OP
OP
2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
For the door vent unless the production car has a hole in the door jam there’s no point making the vent functional as there will be no where for the air to go
I read this and it left me scratching my head. :what:

On the door, there's an upswept line that flows really smoothly into the rear fender. That's also a vent, one that Tada told us will help with brake cooling, and "maybe downforce too." There's a big diffuser, which is functional. And that double-bubble roof design isn't just a callback to Toyota's first inline-six sports car, the 2000GT; it helps get air to the integrated spoiler mounted on the hatchback trunk lid.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Well, well, well... I guess the vents are gonna be real after all.

And the motor is behind the front axle? I guess Christmas came early this year!

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
the motor sits far back in there for sure, but thats interesting on the side vent thing.

I haven't asked about it specifically, but the pics sure seemed to show a closed off vent... that, and he said the front ones are closed but can be removed by owners. odd...

dshandy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Chevy Camaro SS, 2014 Audi A5
the motor sits far back in there for sure, but thats interesting on the side vent thing.

I haven't asked about it specifically, but the pics sure seemed to show a closed off vent... that, and he said the front ones are closed but can be removed by owners. odd...
I've mentioned it once before, but unless these vents remain fake, wouldn't Toyota have to further test and engineer the car to account for real vents? If the fake vents were removable then wouldn't that disturb the current aerodynamics of the car?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
technically yes, as the car has been tested with them closed, but that doesn't necessarily mean the car couldn't still function at near full potential.

there are a lot of factors in there.

he might have also wind tunnel tested the vents open and tried to balanced things somewhat in favor of them possibly being removed for ducting etc.

ginsuown

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Nissan 350z, 2007 Honda Civic
technically yes, as the car has been tested with them closed, but that doesn't necessarily mean the car couldn't still function at near full potential.

there are a lot of factors in there.

he might have also wind tunnel tested the vents open and tried to balanced things somewhat in favor of them possibly being removed for ducting etc.
And I'm not sure how this works, maybe you can shed more light on this side of car development - but just because we've seen one version of the prototype in public doesn't mean there can't be other versions testing in private areas that we haven't seen right? Or do manufacturers eventually publicly road-test every trim of every car?

Basically, are we only seeing what Toyota wants us to see, and could there be other information that is 100% hidden from us?

ginsuown

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Nissan 350z, 2007 Honda Civic
So feasibly, they could have extensively tested mules with vents open, we just haven't seen them in public yet?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yep, exactly.

Shibetsu, wind tunnels, and other more shielded areas provide plenty of data to make necessary changes and improvements. There are still plenty of components that need to be tested in the real world though, so you usually get that at some point depending on what it is.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Functional brake ducting etc on a road car can be problematic.... so it makes sense these are covered up.

From the functional aspect, the size and lead-in to the vents will have the most dramatic effect on the aero performance, blocking them off will create a high pressure region on the blocked vent. with the vents open, the boundary layer of air should be less disturbed.

I can see the GRMN car being like a Weissach Porsche GT3/4 spec - functional brake ducting and cooling everywhere. It makes sense for Toyota to not have to manufacture two different variants of bodywork, so why not cover up the vents that will look the part and appease 90% of people?

FWIW, directional brake ducting (onto centre of front rotors) saw a 100deg. C (I don't know what that is in absurd farenheight :p) difference in rotor temps at a track day - test done directly after pulling into pits. test cars were A80 with 1UZ and A70 with 2JZ.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Many cars have functional brake ducts (front and back) on the road today.. not sure why that would be problematic.

Take a look at corvettes, Vipers, heck even the MKIV’s rear brake duct was functional.
Sponsored