Let's talk about reliability

Discussion in 'Issues, Warranty, Recalls, TSB' started by SupraGuy19, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Therealist

Therealist Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    1996 Toyota Supra
    Liked:
    If I’ve read it correctly this website works off of U.K. data and the source is warranty claims. Yes there are older models in there as some have longer, possibly extended, warranties.

I’m not sure on any of the data I’ve seen so far but thought it might be interesting to show the opposite side of the spectrum from owners who have had the bad experiences

2. SVHO

SVHO Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2016 MX5 ND, 2008 Tacoma
    Liked:
    Would I visit the doctor or BMW dealership more If I own the Supra?

3. oldbutslow

oldbutslow Member

First Name:
    Bob
    Car(s):
    Motorcycle Guy
    Liked:
  4. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
    Liked:
    #34 Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    The "reliability" issue is a long story, often leaded by personal subjective experiences or even stereotypes...
    Generally Japanese bands were quite reliable in the past, while European automakers not so much...
    Globalization, mergings, takeovers, have set the new picture of the automotive industry.
    The reliability factor has changed as well over the years as traditionally reliable brands showed that when applying systems or parts (sometimes even due to regulations) that other "less-reliable" brands already offered, showed the same (if not worst) signs.
    A 2009 Honda CR-V was a very reliable car ten years ago. With an NA 2.90l engine and FWD it could be a zero-issue car.
    A 2019 Honda CR-V with DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and the 2.2TD has shown cases of exploded manifolds / damaged turbos due to blocked DPFs.
    The BMW brand reliablity / running costs subject now...
    Its not black nor white....
    A BMW 640i with the 3.0 turbo engine is a serious performer with luxury interior and GT capabilities. It can be really reliable too... Even in everyday use.... Same as an X5...
    The bad thing is that when issues occur they can be really costly...
    The huge aftermarket performance market was a great source for replacements of faulty parts on Japanese car parts (from suspension components to ECUs). This was never the case with European brands.
    Global models the last years seem to have changed this (EVO, GT-R, Z,...) as a new tuners (mostly US-based) market emerging globally offered parts can solve the issue of expensive parts...
    Cars today share joint-developed, shared or even same parts.
    Most components are actually been manufactured by third -party companies (Getrag gearboxes, BOSCH electronics and pumps, Bilstein suspensions, Brembo brakes, etc...).
    Even from model to model of the same brand there can be variations....
    A BMW M2 wont be used the same way a 220i will be. And even of they share many common parts, they might show signs of variation on reliability due to the nature of the car (sports car VS family car).
    So its not easy to measure the actual reliability of a brand.
    Reliability is something complicated that can never be fully analyzed....

5. AsupramkvC

AsupramkvC Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Gerich
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    I just wonder whether which Toyota sports car would be more reliable: 86 or Supra?:catfight: