Looking for some guidance New 2020 Supra, What tune? Parts? etc for 500whp 500-550wtq?

rennocneb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium in Nitro Yellow
Just as the title says. Looking for some guidance on what it takes to get roughly 500whp and 500-550wtq out of the a90. I have spoke to a few different tuners and i get a lot of variation. Some say the trans is great to 600wtq other than 6th gear go Flex fuel tune and let it eat. Others say your gonna have trouble at 550 or below even. Some claim you need a turbo upgrade to make 500whp. I would like a safe tune, that adds power, sound, and fun factor to the car. Without getting into a mess with sending a trans out for work, worrying about breaking bottom ends or killing turbos etc.

Also who is the best with these cars? Twisted? Visconti? AMS? I am sure I have missed several tuners. This is my first "import" car I just came from a gen 6 ZL1
Sponsored

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
The ZF 8HP51 gearbox in the Supra is a good gearbox but is known to have a weaker 6th gear for its clutch pack. They seem to slip at around the 600WTQ mark (some cars a bit sooner, luck of the draw kinda thing).

It doesn't take much to have these cars running at around 400-450 WHP (depends on your dyno and conditions of course) on 93 e10 pump gas. A downpipe (catted or catless) and a tune (platform doesn't matter as much as tuner) and around 460 - 500 WHP with e30-e50 mix.

Tuning options are MHD, BootMod, and what everyone is going towards is Ecutek.

Tuners are plentiful and honestly, what are your goals for the car? Track/Circuit racing? Drag racing? Daily driving? A jack of all? Pick your tuner based on what your goals are and not what everyone else tells you. I would honestly reach out to them and have a nice chat with them and go with what you think honestly is best for you.

OP
OP

rennocneb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am really looking for a fun weekend toy thats close to my 19 ZL1. Im leaning towards Ecutek because it seems to be what everyone is using. Really i would like a fun car on 93 octane, roughly 525wtq and like 525-575whp. I would be wiling to do something like a Pure Turbo, downpipe, exhaust, tune. Is what im looking to do possible? and safe?

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's plenty safe (you will void your drivetrain warranty with any drivetrain mods done to the car, just have to preface that and if any tuner says otherwise, they are lying. Don't think BMW doesn't have the tools to look into the car they built).

Now with that out of the way, you can get a good amount of power with a few extra bolt-ons but of course, it's a rabbit hole, you mod one thing and it leads to another.

I would also not be fixated on a number but rather how does a car deliver its power. It's no good for a car to make big numbers if it's all the way near redline right?

To get what you were posting, a few things to get you off the ground.
  1. Downpipe (catted or catless, it matters little for anything less than 650whp)
  2. Pure700 or Pure800 Turbo (700 spools quicker but has less top end than the 800)
  3. Ecutek tune (a lot of tuners out there can and do use Ecutek).

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I am really looking for a fun weekend toy thats close to my 19 ZL1. Im leaning towards Ecutek because it seems to be what everyone is using. Really i would like a fun car on 93 octane, roughly 525wtq and like 525-575whp. I would be wiling to do something like a Pure Turbo, downpipe, exhaust, tune. Is what im looking to do possible? and safe?
We have a couple members running Pure800, DP, and a tune and making something like 550 whp or thereabouts? I think that is doable on 93 oct but I think you would need to address fueling (e.g. port injection). Intake and cat-back exhaust add nothing so you need not worry about those.

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
We have a couple members running Pure800, DP, and a tune and making something like 550 whp or thereabouts? I think that is doable on 93 oct but I think you would need to address fueling (e.g. port injection). Intake and cat-back exhaust add nothing so you need not worry about those.
Honestly, the stock intake and exhaust is good enough for at least 650 WHP. There are several drag guys out there making crazy power off stock parts.

OP
OP

rennocneb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Doing a little tablecloth math. If you had enough turbo to make 480lb ft at 6800rpm you could make roughly 625whp out of one of these cars while not hurting the driveline? i mean i assume its torque that is the issue not horsepower?

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Doing a little tablecloth math. If you had enough turbo to make 480lb ft at 6800rpm you could make roughly 625whp out of one of these cars while not hurting the driveline? i mean i assume its torque that is the issue not horsepower?
Correct. Torque is not kind to the 8HP51 gearbox. A capable tuner will be able to adjust the power delivery in their tune to maximize power delivery while not killing your clutch pack.

OP
OP

rennocneb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well all, the canned tunes I see shoot for a big Torque number I assume due to the turbo running out of air up top. Iā€™m in southern Indiana we donā€™t really have any performance shops let alone those that work on bmw cars. I could do the turbo install myself I guess Iā€™m really trying to find out what my tuning options are

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well all, the canned tunes I see shoot for a big Torque number I assume due to the turbo running out of air up top. Iā€™m in southern Indiana we donā€™t really have any performance shops let alone those that work on bmw cars. I could do the turbo install myself I guess Iā€™m really trying to find out what my tuning options are
Most (like 99%) of tuners will e-tune a car (meaning you datalog on the road). They will adjust accordingly based on your mods and how your car is behaving.

You can find a local dyno and have your tuner tune it on the dyno as well.

OP
OP

rennocneb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Who are like the top handful of guys with these cars. Iā€™ve talked to a few guys that say just toss e85 on it stock turbo and a dp and make 500whp 600wtq well Iā€™d rather make 500/500 and be safe but that doesnā€™t seem to be their drive sadly. If I was racing I get pushing it I have other stuff to scratch that itch just looking for a fun car.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Downpipe w/e50 Ecutek
500+ whp/tq can be done on stock turbo w/catless dp. With a catted dp and e50 I made 480hp/540tq on e50 with Mikey Botti tuning. I could go 500hp and more tq switching to catless but the car plenty fast for me.
49925DE0-6833-4E4B-A13F-D333E3081BF0.jpeg

OP
OP

rennocneb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
500/500 would be great for me I figure there the trans might live. now if I could do like a pure turbo and make 600whp/500wtq with a good tune I might consider that just to have the top in charge a turbo car is known for but like I said most of the guys Iā€™ve talked to if I go that route they wanna build a big huge torque number. I get it normally people want more Iā€™m just after safe/fun/reliable

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
500/500 would be great for me I figure there the trans might live. now if I could do like a pure turbo and make 600whp/500wtq with a good tune I might consider that just to have the top in charge a turbo car is known for but like I said most of the guys Iā€™ve talked to if I go that route they wanna build a big huge torque number. I get it normally people want more Iā€™m just after safe/fun/reliable
So once you get over to the Pure 700/800 turbo you'll need to add Port Injection or meth to get max power. Once you are over 600tq the trans does get unhappy and that's another expense. If you decide to run the car at the drag strip you will need the upgraded axles also. I have already seen a handful of e50 tuned cars that have broken axles.

even with just the dp/e50 tuning the car is fun and reliable. there are quite a few guys that i know that run a similar tuned setup as a daily driver and have run high 10s.

OP
OP

rennocneb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is going to be a street car a weekend toy to take to cruise ins and enjoy with my soon to be wife. Which loves to wrench on cars with me so itā€™s a win win. Realistically I want It to sound mean and run good and good as in able to hang with or come close to my stock 2019 zl1
Sponsored