Not open for further replies.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Is the authors opinion "spot on", we should tackle this question head on. So he said the old Comp M2 is a league above the current Supra. I think context is needed. If he means that it's an easier car to drive, he's likely right, the Supra is more twitchy and can bite, so the M2 was a bit more "tame" and approachable. The reality is, if you drive with the safety nannies on neither will be scary to drive and both are approachable. These aren't 80's 911 Turbo's or 90's Viper scary cars.

If the author means the M2 was more luxurious and practical, he would also be correct, as you could get some nicer material choices in the M2 and the back seat/trunk is certainly more usable.

But if the author meant more "engaging" or faster on the road/track, he's not correct. It has been shown that the Supra is faster stock (see Car and Drivers Lightning Lap historical times) or with the same tires (Savagegeese did a comparison). Now that's not to say a novice might be able to do a better time with the M2 over the Supra, but that's only because the M2 is a more "tame" and "approachable" package, thus being easier to find the limits and maintain those limits.

Looks are all subjective, so some might prefer the old M2 over the Supra, while others feel differently. But one universal fact is that the manual in the Supra is "a league above" ANY BMW manual that has been produced in the past two decades. That comment is "spot on" and you can take that to the bank. So if a good manual is high on your list, the Supra is the one to go for.

Please note that the Savage Geese crew factored in price when they said they would pick the previous M2 over a new Supra or new M2. So if you are factoring the money aspect into your decision, that might be a consideration for you. But I'll say that I much prefer the Supra over a used BMW M2. If I was going used BMW M car I'd just go with an early 00's M3 or M5, that was peak BMW.
Sponsored

Last edited:

6mtsoup

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
But one universal fact is that the manual in the Supra is "a league above" ANY BMW manual that has been produced in the past two decades. That comment is "spot on" and you can take that to the bank. So if a good manual is high on your list, the Supra is the one to go for.
I havenā€™t read every comment in this thread, only the first page then left my 2 cents, and saw this comment as well after. Itā€™s spot on. Iā€™ve been fortunate to drive a lot of different manual BMWs before, and the Supra is the best manual BMW of them all. That said, I havenā€™t driven any of the new g8x manuals yet, which Iā€™d like to compare it to.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
I havenā€™t read every comment in this thread, only the first page then left my 2 cents, and saw this comment as well after. Itā€™s spot on. Iā€™ve been fortunate to drive a lot of different manual BMWs before, and the Supra is the best manual BMW of them all. That said, I havenā€™t driven any of the new g8x manuals yet, which Iā€™d like to compare it to.
If that's the manual on the new M2, it's no better than the previous version. I do however wonder if the manual in the new BMW Z will be the same as the Supra or if BMW will just keep their so-so manual tuning intact.

(also note, if you want the best manual on the market it's likely either Porsche or Honda that people should gravitate to).

OP
OP
ghosted

ghosted

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
c300, 330i
@johnnyskids - the evo.co.uk author did pretty much expand on what he meant by league above (MKV chassis not as stiff as it could be, chassis will bite you, inability to maintain traction even @ moderate power, unsettled over inferior pavement, transmission programming needed iterative improvement).

To say the BMW is in a league above the MKV is a heedy statement - so heavy of a statement that I would posit that such superiority cannot be quantified and only felt behind the wheel. @6mtsoup has an opinion that DIRECTLY contradicts the evo.co.uk article, but both opinions are not formed from driving the same cars in the same places with the same conditions.

Also your comments on Honda/Porsche having best manual gearboxes seem to echo the trustworthy pundits. Finally - I would recommend folks consider the age of an e39/e46 BMW before diving in with their hard-earned dollars. Rubber and plastics corrode over time and these German stalwarts needed lots of both in highly important places. Reliability and driving feel will be negatively impacted by age.

interesting post

driftguy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Nocturnal 3.0 Premium, 2023 BMW Z4
@johnnyskids - the evo.co.uk author did pretty much expand on what he meant by league above (MKV chassis not as stiff as it could be, chassis will bite you, inability to maintain traction even @ moderate power, unsettled over inferior pavement, transmission programming needed iterative improvement).

To say the BMW is in a league above the MKV is a heedy statement - so heavy of a statement that I would posit that such superiority cannot be quantified and only felt behind the wheel. @6mtsoup has an opinion that DIRECTLY contradicts the evo.co.uk article, but both opinions are not formed from driving the same cars in the same places with the same conditions.

Also your comments on Honda/Porsche having best manual gearboxes seem to echo the trustworthy pundits. Finally - I would recommend folks consider the age of an e39/e46 BMW before diving in with their hard-earned dollars. Rubber and plastics corrode over time and these German stalwarts needed lots of both in highly important places. Reliability and driving feel will be negatively impacted by age.

interesting post

This was certainly written by AI. It has the tone and even a link at the end as reference. Super strange.

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
What a ridiculous thread. Has nobody considered that maybe the OP is in fact the author of the article and just wanted some traffic?
we get the strangest first-post threads.. lol i wouldnā€™t doubt this

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
@johnnyskids - Finally - I would recommend folks consider the age of an e39/e46 BMW before diving in with their hard-earned dollars. Rubber and plastics corrode over time and these German stalwarts needed lots of both in highly important places. Reliability and driving feel will be negatively impacted by age.

interesting post
Maintenance and reliability are always something to consider with any 20+ year old vehicle, it's not unique to BMW. The good thing is that there is a lot of data, how to videos, and aftermarket solutions to known issues. While it is certainly hard to find a clean early 00's BMW M3/5, it isn't incredibly complicated to keep them on the road and up to date.

I will put money on these older BMW M cars being far superior in reliability when compared to the current crop of M cars in 20 years time.

OP
OP
ghosted

ghosted

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
c300, 330i
Indeed- but one needs the hours during the off-time OR some fat stacks to pay the mechanic to keep the older cars in fine shape. You can get by in mediocre shape, but if ones wants that original feel - fine shape will take stacks of Benjamins (diy or not).I have had my fair share of e90, e46, e39, e34 cars. While these cars have certain character the new BMWs lack - the news ones have improved in nearly every area except steering (less chassis flex, higher limits of performance). BMW has lost its way since the e90 years. But they are supplying their customer base - and customers buy the bad cars. Few newer cars can hold the line with the older cars - but Porsche comes to mind. And MKV has never been faulted heavily for its steering in ANY article I have seen written recently.

- written by AI

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Indeed- but one needs the hours during the off-time OR some fat stacks to pay the mechanic to keep the older cars in fine shape. You can get by in mediocre shape, but if ones wants that original feel - fine shape will take stacks of Benjamins (diy or not).I have had my fair share of e90, e46, e39, e34 cars. While these cars have certain character the new BMWs lack - the news ones have improved in nearly every area except steering (less chassis flex, higher limits of performance). BMW has lost its way since the e90 years. But they are supplying their customer base - and customers buy the bad cars. Few newer cars can hold the line with the older cars - but Porsche comes to mind. And MKV has never been faulted heavily for its steering in ANY article I have seen written recently.

- written by AI
The steering in the old BMW M cars (as well as many cars of that era) were superior due to the hydraulics used as opposed to the electronic ones we have today. It's one of the biggest selling points for me on the new Lotus Emira as it employs hydraulic brakes.

A good indy mechanics shop, some shopping around for the best parts, and doing as much DIY as you are capable and those old BMW M cars are not that bad to keep on the road. Making them perfect...well that's a different story. Regardless, no other car on sale new today match them for how special they feel and their character. Not to mention these cars can be cheaper than the current M cars and Supra to buy, and they'll likely only appreciate in value, especially if you keep them in good stock shape.

OP
OP
ghosted

ghosted

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
c300, 330i
The steering in the old BMW M cars (as well as many cars of that era) were superior due to the hydraulics used as opposed to the electronic ones we have today. It's one of the biggest selling points for me on the new Lotus Emira as it employs hydraulic brakes.

A good indy mechanics shop, some shopping around for the best parts, and doing as much DIY as you are capable and those old BMW M cars are not that bad to keep on the road. Making them perfect...well that's a different story. Regardless, no other car on sale new today match them for how special they feel and their character. Not to mention these cars can be cheaper than the current M cars and Supra to buy, and they'll likely only appreciate in value, especially if you keep them in good stock shape.
Yes indeed, few are getting electic p/s right today. Porsche is a master at it.

Did you notice his sig as well?
are you saying my sig further evidences that I am AI? I would volunteer the following to you: AI is very bad at providing a Biblical answer to theological questions. Whereas my sig is very VERY narrow (see Matthew 7:13) and very Biblical.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Looks like this was a May 2021, article that was reprinted in 2024, but the author says: Having run an M2 Comp as a long-termer a couple of years ago Iā€™m all too aware that the way it drives is in a league above: much less spiky, much more polish.

Can anyone confirm that a ~2020 BMW M2 Competition would outshine the MKV in the ways the author says?
yeah, but then you have to look at the M2 from the outside every now and then. Itā€™s a design abomination IMO. I wish I could force myself to like it because the performance and interior are both great.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
yeah, but then you have to look at the M2 from the outside every now and then. Itā€™s a design abomination IMO. I wish I could force myself to like it because the performance and interior are both great.
The article is about the 2020 BMW M2 Competition, not the new design.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.