Manual or automatic?

DrSupra

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
If you took a poll, you would probably find most of us with AT Supras probably have at least one other car with a MT, in the garage. I'm not sure any of us MT guys would give up on them altogether.
I get that. That would make the automatic much more palatable. I suppose that highlights how auto v. manual question can come down to a person's circumstances.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matter

Matter

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 228i
This post could have ended the entire thread. That's 100% it. The auto in the Supra is so good, I finally was okay buying an AT car. I was a 100% MT track car guy.... now converted.
Good point.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
When I was looking to buy, I saw these threads get pretty intense like but it's a personal preference thing so I suppose that's not unexpected.

I know it's not this simple and there's more nuance but I bought a manual because if all I cared about it speed and cutting tenths of a second off acceleration and lap times, I'd go for a different car all together. Soon any electric car is going to be as fast or faster to 60 and for lap times something like a C8 or a C7 grandsport would have better. Sure, the argument can be made that if I wanted pure driver engagement I could have bought a BRZ or Miata or GT350 or something that gave out some more driver feedback and was more raw...but I thought the Supra with a manual was the best combination of a manual transmission, acceleration, reliability, and quality that I could get and it was relatively well priced.

Having not owned a MT car in years, I realized this may be one of my last chances to get a new car with a manual and an internal combustion engine that would be fun and relatively engaging but that I could also use to get to work whenever I wanted, not worry about anything, and be relatively comfortable. There probably are cars that could do it all that a little bit better too but I've always wanted a Supra and it being a BMW underneath is actually a plus for me.
Well said. Pretty much sums it up.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I don't really care too much about which transmission. as long as it has wheels, engine, and ways to control, I will have fun. However i do have an opinion on thought that AT is faster than MT on track. which is faster is purely on who is driving rather than equipment. However, Automatically shifting on AT is slower than manually shifting on AT. in my opinion, automatically shifting on AT is slower than MT but if you know how to do it properly, manual shifting on AT might be faster than MT.

OverRev

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 SUPRA
This is my first AT sports car among the 15+ in the past, including Z4, M3, M2. Really hard to convince myself buying an auto Supra last yr, but It completely changed my mind after driving it for couple weeks, and took it to track in the 3rd week. For those who really care about a car that's more engaging, gives more mechanical connections and feedback. It's best to get one thats "purely manuel" - not only just manuel gearbox but also with cable throttle, hydraulic steering and handbrake (guess this is why those older JDM sports cars all went up in value). The manual supra is not gonna give you a pure manual sports car feeling, period. IMO, just stick with the ZF8 which shifts faster, has better fuel economy, quicker acceleration and higher top speed, plus comfy at traffic jam.

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I bought an auto because that was what was available at the time...and interest rate was super low (2.29%) and it was at MSRP. MT seems nice, I wouldn't mind it, but I'm not going to pull my pants down and get fucked by a dealer

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
This is my first AT sports car among the 15+ in the past, including Z4, M3, M2. Really hard to convince myself buying an auto Supra last yr, but It completely changed my mind after driving it for couple weeks, and took it to track in the 3rd week. For those who really care about a car that's more engaging, gives more mechanical connections and feedback. It's best to get one thats "purely manuel" - not only just manuel gearbox but also with cable throttle, hydraulic steering and handbrake (guess this is why those older JDM sports cars all went up in value). The manual supra is not gonna give you a pure manual sports car feeling, period. IMO, just stick with the ZF8 which shifts faster, has better fuel economy, quicker acceleration and higher top speed, plus comfy at traffic jam.
I bought an auto because that was what was available at the time...and interest rate was super low (2.29%) and it was at MSRP. MT seems nice, I wouldn't mind it, but I'm not going to pull my pants down and get fucked by a dealer
Wow! Well said by both of ya 😍 & great points ☝
Both apply to me

Rhane

First Name
Rhane
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91-MT, '22 Mustang GT, '13 FR-S
Now that my MT Supra is in the shop getting ppf + tint and I'm driving the FRS again in the snow, I almost wish I went AT because the MT Supra doesn't feel as "raw" as I thought it would be. Definitely an amazing car and feels more engaging than the AT, but I sure wish I had those upshift burps + not have to shift in SE Michigan rush hour traffic (for when I bring it to the office lol)

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Now that my MT Supra is in the shop getting ppf + tint and I'm driving the FRS again in the snow, I almost wish I went AT because the MT Supra doesn't feel as "raw" as I thought it would be. Definitely an amazing car and feels more engaging than the AT, but I sure wish I had those upshift burps + not have to shift in SE Michigan rush hour traffic (for when I bring it to the office lol)
YES! I have a friend who let me drive his MT and it still felt numb...it was cool to row gears, but it was still numb. I don't know man.

Rhane

First Name
Rhane
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91-MT, '22 Mustang GT, '13 FR-S
YES! I have a friend who let me drive his MT and it still felt numb...it was cool to row gears, but it was still numb. I don't know man.
Yeah numb is a better term but I do admit that most of the newer manuals regardless of brand seem to feel that way to me(I'm also just a picky person). I will still enjoy my MT Supra to the max though unless Nissan decides to release a new GTR :)

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
There are plenty of dealers selling the manuals at MSRP now. Just got an allocation for a manual one at MSRP last week.

As far as the numb feeling goes, I'm sure there will be plenty of aftermarket shifters available before too long. Hopefully AutoSolutions does one. They always had one of the better shifters for the M cars.

Supraluv

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra premium , Z4 Coupe , 2002 MRoadster
I wanted the manual but the wife wanted me to get the auto because I already had 3 manual cars at home and she wanted an auto in case she wanted to drive it. I relented and was able to get the auto much earlier than I thought and I am not missing the manual at all.. happy with the auto.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
The manual supra is not gonna give you a pure manual sports car feeling, period. IMO, just stick with the ZF8 which shifts faster, has better fuel economy, quicker acceleration and higher top speed, plus comfy at traffic jam.
We call this confirmation bias. 🙄

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Let's see if ol' RT can help clarify the OP's wonderings..:::cracks knuckles::::

Having owned both versions, they're both amazing cars, but the one thing that nine out of ten people don't mention, is the MT's new 3.46 rear differential (and LSD programming). Unless you've driven both vehicles, either extensively, or simply back-to-back, it's impossible to understand just how different the overall character of the car is. Coupled with the GS6, the B58 delivers its torque in a very unique way compared to the ZF8HP/3.15 combo. Therefore, the two versions aren't nearly as apples-to-apples as you'd think.

Also, unless you're Dhalsim from Street Fighter II, the clutch pedal and shift lever location force you to sit noticeably closer to the dash & steering wheel than in the AT, which makes the overall interactions feel much more purposeful and focused (something you'll appreciate even more on the track). As opposed to the more laid-back ergonomics & driving position you could get away with in the AT, the MT's 'input-personality' seems more high-strung, but in the best kind of way.
Sponsored