Manual or automatic?

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Yup. And this is the buyer's version of confirmation bias - I wonder if there's an actual psychological term/phrase for it? - that literally explains the constant worship of the burbles in the MKV community. 💁‍♂️
Off topic but couldn’t help myself. 😁
Sponsored

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Bottom line is we all bought the Supra because we're Supra people. We all have some sort of special connection or appreciation for what it is and its heritage.
Not really. Some of us couldn't care less about the heritage. For me, the Supra is the only choice at the price; having the right looks, performance, feature set and as of 2023, the right transmission.

In fact, let me go further and say that for me, the car being in any way a Toyota (Supra) is literally the worst thing about it!

And yeah, I am mostly being facetious about the whole manual/automatic thing - partially because the Supra community is so overabundantly made up of automatic drivers - but the way people dismiss the mating of a high powered engine with a manual in 2023 just staggers me.

I also wonder how many "Supra enthusiasts" there would be if the automatic transmission was never offered and just how different these sorts of threads would be.

At the end of the day, I couldn't care less what transmission people choose in their cars but remember, without automatic drivers, there wouldn't be automatic transmissions offered. And easier to drive automatics (yes, that was a sleight) are what is killing harder (and more involved) to drive manual cars from being offered.. so rally against them I will.

DrSupra

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
Not really. Some of us couldn't care less about the heritage. For me, the Supra is the only choice at the price; having the right looks, performance, feature set and as of 2023, the right transmission.

In fact, let me go further and say that for me, the car being in any way a Toyota (Supra) is literally the worst thing about it!
Touche, I was generalizing a bit too much by saying everyone and agree with it having just the right combination of looks, performance, and features for the price - said that same thing actually earlier in the thread! And I get what you're saying about it being a Toyota to a degree and agree with everything you else said there for what it's worth.

Last edited:

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Touche, I was generalizing a bit too much by saying everyone and agree with it having just the right combination of looks, performance, and features for the price. And I get what you're saying about it being a Toyota. I couldn't bring myself to buy a ZL1 partly because I had a hard time with spending 78K on a Camaro ZL1 1LE, even if it outperforms a C8 Stingray on a track (and objectively matches true supercars). And I agree with everything else you're saying 100% also.
Yeah.. here in Australia a 2019 Z1L is more than double the price of the Supra.. I'm tipping a new one would be more than triple!

I think the closest rival we have here would be the significantly more expensive new M2 or the even more expensive Z4 (no manual transmission here) or the slightly cheaper RS3 (again, no manual transmission though). The next tier down would be the Golf R followed by the new Type R, Golf GTI, etc. and then the Hyundais..

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
Who cares??? Also about the butter...great on some fresh bakes rolls fam!

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
I enjoy certain cars with manuals like corvettes or mustangs (owned both with manuals in past). But for European performance cars I will always pick the auto.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
So impressed what the @zrk & kids can do with this car. Had no idea! That being said, tons of different folks and reasons to pick what they did. It’s not black and white (like anything) by any means.

I’ve had mainly manual cars on track. More engaging and faster until dual clutches became mainstream. I’ve driven Ferrari and Porsche dual clutches and while phenomenal on track, they weren’t the best daily drivers.

Track peeps know BMW very well and this ZF transmission. So buying mine in 2022 I could have waited for a 2023 or got what I truly wanted. No need to convince myself lol. It’s freaking phenomenal! I still grin after each session on track. Can’t believe how smooth this sucker is! And fast… it’s a win win for me. I love manuals! Still own 2 other ones. But for me, there was no doubts or 2nd guessing. This ZF trans Supra is absolutely what I wanted. No regrets or need to self confirm 😂

And I personally love to hear all the different opinions. It’s why I’m on this forum. Great mix of peeps and different reasons to love cars 😊

RichSC

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra #86, 2018 Raptor
All of my fun cars have had a manual trans, so yeah, there was some apprehension going to this car with an auto. That being said, I don't regret it at all, and I do not currently own another car with a manual trans either. I like the way the car looks, responds very well to mods and for the money, is very good on track.

When I was driving it more on the street, was nice to relax in traffic and not constantly be fucking around with another pedal. On track, fast, precise and one less thing to have to dick around with when chasing time.

Do I still enjoy a manual transmission car? Sure do and I'm sure I'll have another one in the garage at some point. Do I feel the need to shit on someone else because of their choice in transmission? No. (Looking at you manual elitists) I'm sure the manual version of this car is fun too and hell, maybe that's what I'll end up with. Will say though, the auto won't be going anywhere. I've put too much into it and it's too good to let go.

Kevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Poopra, 95 240s(u)x, 91 240s(u)x, 01 Cherocrap
I would love to drive both manual and auto on the track and street on the same day before making an evaluation and judgment on each version of the Supra since my other manual cars nor the Supras have the same character as each other. When I got my car manual wasn't available and I would be lying if I said it didn't bother me at first. But then I took that free NASA track day and those dang fly fisher's at Toyota hooked me! For the street on a Sunday drive through canyons the auto is meh... for traffic and days that my girl who hates cars and driving etc, the auto helps me to hold her hand and all that simp stuff that makes her journey of supporting my hobby better. The track is where I really bonded with this car and honestly it kind of ruined it for the street for me. The auto shifts fast and with the 8 gears it helps the car stay in power curves on situations of the track where most cars in this class lack due to weight etc against the lighter cars but also helps in the faster sections where the heavier but higher hp cars shines. The balance seems to help the car be dangerous against the others in most sections and the consistent shifts helps you or at least me a poor driver to be a better driver have one less variable to work on and to help develop my skill. Overall for what I bought the car for, the street: I think I would prefer a manual version; but for the track, and what the car has become and pretty much only gets used for: I prefer the auto. Combined at this point in my life the car ticks so many more boxes in the auto version than the manual but overall I would be happy with either. If you are on the fence and truly looking at this for what to get, evaluate every aspect that you see yourself driving it in and then match that with you current ambitions and personality to see if at the end of the day do you want to be as fast as you can be against peers or have fun on the street with friends? Either options on this platform will do those task well but have a slightly different personality in doing it...

Kamber

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 6MT
From what I can tell, this is the most common version of the story. I'm always on the lookout for someone who went from the auto to the manual and regrets their decision. Haven't seen one yet despite all the autoboys defending the ZF8.
I have a manual. I prefer the ZF8 and will be making the switch. 🤷‍♂️

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
So you have a manual MKV and are switching to an automatic MKV? 😂
Unless I can't read.... That's exactly what he said he was doing?

These manual bros really feel the need to push "driver's experience/feeling/blah blah", but majority of Supras are auto - and its only because the automatic sold so well that the manual is even here. If a manual were available in 2022, I would've considered it, but it wasn't and I do not regret getting the auto at all.

TLDR: No one gives a shit if you have a manual or an auto. You do you and drive what you want.

Last edited:

Kamber

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 6MT
So you have a manual MKV and are switching to an automatic MKV? 😂
Yep. They're both great — however I'm not a manual elitist whatsoever so while I enjoy them, I also enjoy excellent automatics and DCT's just as much. If I could shift via telepathy, I would. An automatic also has other advantages for my situation; family members being able to drive it if needed, extent of tuneability, the heavy traffic & congestion that is inherent to my area, etc.

Last edited: