Manual or automatic?

Boataur

First Name
RB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91-MT CUL
I had a 2013 M235 with the ZF8….my first auto transmission in >30 years (at that time). It was a great transmission, but I didn’t feel connected to the car. I couldn’t be happier with the manual in my Supra. To each his (or her) own.
Sponsored

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I had a 2013 M235 with the ZF8….my first auto transmission in >30 years (at that time). It was a great transmission, but I didn’t feel connected to the car. I couldn’t be happier with the manual in my Supra. To each his (or her) own.
From what I can tell, this is the most common version of the story. I'm always on the lookout for someone who went from the auto to the manual and regrets their decision. Haven't seen one yet despite all the autoboys defending the ZF8.

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
From what I can tell, this is the most common version of the story. I'm always on the lookout for someone who went from the auto to the manual and regrets their decision. Haven't seen one yet despite all the autoboys defending the ZF8.
"Regret" is probably too harsh. I doubt you'll find anyone who regrets it. The Supra is a fantastic car, period. People will prefer one over the other I am sure. But I'll be surprised to hear if someone "regrets" buying either version of the Supra.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
But I'll be surprised to hear if someone "regrets" buying either version of the Supra.
Yup. And this is the buyer's version of confirmation bias - I wonder if there's an actual psychological term/phrase for it? - that literally explains the constant worship of the automatic version in the MKV community. 💁‍♂️

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Yup. And this is the buyer's version of confirmation bias - I wonder if there's an actual psychological term phrase for it - that literally explains the constant worship of the automatic version in the MKV community. 💁‍♂️
I would instantly regret the manual, because ain't no time for that bullshit- way too slow.

And the banger classes always have annoying rules.

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yup. And this is the buyer's version of confirmation bias - I wonder if there's an actual psychological term/phrase for it? - that literally explains the constant worship of the automatic version in the MKV community. 💁‍♂️
One could say the same about the constant worship of the manual.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's a few tenths. lol.
Do you have any idea how close competition races are? Lamo, they're a few thousandths sometimes. There's a reason we spend thousands to save a couple of lbs., or run iceboxes that make the car undrivable on the street, or spend an entire winter working on cars to get them ready for TX2K, or Summer Slam, or WCF, or ships cars across the country for testing when it's too cold at the local track, or try new combinations of turbos/manifolds to the point where we have boxes of brand-new turbos laying around.. Sure, it's partly for fun, but three tenths? That's the difference between number 1 and number 30 qualifier some times.

World Cup Finals this year. Qualifying field in very evenly split against a single second. 3 tenths occupies the first 11 positions.

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 5.36.13 PM.png

Top 12 of the Top 20 are separated by 3 tenths.
Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 5.39.04 PM.png

FL2K was decided over 3 tenths
1674690215934.png

OP
OP
Matter

Matter

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 228i
I bought an auto because that was what was available at the time...and interest rate was super low (2.29%) and it was at MSRP. MT seems nice, I wouldn't mind it, but I'm not going to pull my pants down and get fucked by a dealer
if you do get fucked, make sure they kiss you at least...

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Do you have any idea how close competition races are? Lamo, they're a few thousandths sometimes.
Yeah I get that.. but the Supra is primarily a road car. I'm genuinely not sure why you would buy a Supra for such competitions when there are plenty of faster cars available, if that's your number one concern. 🤷‍♂️

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah I get that.. but the Supra is primarily a road car. I'm genuinely not sure why you would buy a Supra for such competitions when there are plenty of faster cars available, if that's your number one concern. 🤷‍♂️
It's a beautiful car for the class rules. B58 is a strong platform, weight distribution is very good, aftermarket support is fantastic, weight is perfect for slightly heavier classes, 6 cyl so no power adder restrictions... for now.

And honestly, the thrill of being one of the top 20 fastest <any brand new platform> and help push <platform> is a hell of a good time.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
It's a beautiful car for the class rules. B58 is a strong platform, weight distribution is very good, aftermarket support is fantastic, weight is perfect for slightly heavier classes, 6 cyl so no power adder restrictions... for now.

And honestly, the thrill of being one of the top 20 fastest <any brand new platform> and help push <platform> is a hell of a good time.
I guess that's the thing.. we are attacking this car from two very different use cases. Sure, if you are eeking out every tenth the manual is useless to you - any manual is useless - I get that. But if you want to drive it on the road, those tenths are meaningless and are a non-argument for pushing the automatic version of any car.

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I guess that's the thing.. we are attacking this car from two very different use cases. Sure, if you are eeking out every tenth the manual is useless to you - I get that. But if you want to drive it on the road, those tenths are meaningless and are a non-argument for pushing the automatic version of any car.
Meaningless?
Who are you trying to convince? Us…or yourself?

DrSupra

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
Cognitive dissonance maybe would be a better concept if someone is second guessing their decision and grappling with those thoughts and feelings counter to the decision they actually made. Confirmation bias probably is a bit more fitting since that would be the tendency to look only for information that confirms your belief or attitude and attempts to disregard the information that runs counter to it. It's just human nature to do these things - so to apply the concept in this case AS AN EXAMPLE (please dont take this as my actual thoughts, I'm just applying the concept): people that have automatics are going to justify their decision in every way they can, particularly since some probably wanted a manual to begin with and it wasn't available at the time and try to discount or disregard anything positive they hear about the manual. On the other hand, confirmation bias can run the other way with manual transmission people wondering if they should have just went for the auto for the convenience or the couple tenths of a second of acceleration or around a track but then focusing on driver engagement, etc. There's also a strong in group vs. outgroup thing going on...lots of social psychology concepts at play.

I see people commenting that the shifter feel is numb and I'm not the best judge of the shifter feel since I haven't driven as many manuals as other people but I'd say it has a lot more feel than a new M3 or a C7 but also a lot less than a GT350 or ZL1 just to name a few. I think that sadly the M3 and Supra are the way all new cars are going to be with all sorts of new electronic systems for efficiency, safety, because they can...I realize the shifter in the Supra isn't necessarily affected by that but I'm just commenting on the general numbness in steering, brake, and overall road feel as cars move more and more toward elaborate electric power steering, brake by wire, etc.

Bottom line is we all bought the Supra because we're Supra people. We all have some sort of special connection or appreciation for what it is and its heritage. I'm a 90s kid that dreamed of having a MKIV. For people with automatics, there are cars way way faster in a straight line AND around a track - often times both at the same time. For the manual people, there are cars with way, way more engagement. We should all just get along and not argue because at the end of the day there's always something better and we share the love for this special car, manual or automatic. Honestly, it's silly. Look at lightning lap results as an example. The bottom line is the auto and manual Supra are getting crapped on by things that you would assume are far less capable....my point again is we buy it because we love what it offers at its core.

Bleh I keep editing this because I feel strongly that we should all be unified. I almost bought a Camaro ZL1 1LE. It pisses all over the Supra in a straight line AND was like 10+ seconds faster around VIR in lightning lap. Endless modification potential, too. In the end, I liked the way the Supra looked more, the quality of the Supra, and for a bunch of other reasons... even if it's the ZL1 1LE is damn capable thing under 100k new.
Sponsored

Last edited: