Manual or automatic?

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Drove my manual MX5 to work yesterday and hot dammmmmnnnnnn…. That mofo is sooooooo much fun rowing through the gears, heel & toe, on weekend roads, flying around corners…. Couldn’t agree more @kaj . And even more reason to love my ZF trans Supra. I do have the best of both worlds. Which plays into my mindset. Great point ☝
I agree with you. gives me smile when i seldomly drive s2000. Also love driving AT supra on track going through pedal shift.
Sponsored

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Drove my manual MX5 to work yesterday and hot dammmmmnnnnnn…. That mofo is sooooooo much fun rowing through the gears, heel & toe, on weekend roads, flying around corners…. Couldn’t agree more @kaj . And even more reason to love my ZF trans Supra. I do have the best of both worlds. Which plays into my mindset. Great point ☝
I still have one car with a MT. It's 1000x more fun than the MT Supra.
It's for sale, though.... I don't know what I'm going to do without a manual transmission car in the garage.

20221212_172935.jpg

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I know people are losing their mind over this thread and well, it's kind of funny. I think its interesting that the MKV crowd are the opposite to most car enthusiasts though.

Just for a laugh I asked our new AI overlord Chat GPT and here's it's opinion:

Q. What are the benefits of driving a manual transmission car as opposed to an automatic one?

Driving a manual transmission car has several benefits when compared to an automatic transmission car:
  1. Greater control: Manual transmission cars allow the driver to have greater control over the car's speed and power, as they can choose the gear they want to be in, whereas automatic transmission cars shift gears on their own.
  2. Better fuel economy: Manual transmission cars generally have better fuel economy than automatic transmission cars because they don't have the added weight and complexity of the automatic transmission.
  3. More engaging driving experience: Because you are more involved with the car when shifting gears, driving a manual transmission can be more engaging and enjoyable.
  4. More affordable: Manual transmission cars are often less expensive than their automatic counterparts.
  5. More reliable: manual transmission cars are often considered to be more reliable than automatic transmission cars, as they have fewer moving parts and are less likely to break down.
  6. Easy to understand and fix: The mechanics of a manual transmission are relatively simple and easy to understand. When something does go wrong, it is generally easier and cheaper to fix than an automatic transmission.
However, it's important to note that manual transmission cars require more skill and attention to drive than automatic cars, and they may not be as convenient for some drivers.
Not sure about the second point these days and also point 4 doesn't apply with the MKV because marketing but its otherwise on the money.

And that summary is a zinger! 😂

EDIT: Just to be fair.. here's the opposite coin flip:

Q. What are the benefits of driving an automatic transmission car as opposed to a manual one?

Driving an automatic transmission car has several benefits when compared to a manual transmission car:
  1. Easier to drive: Automatic transmission cars do not require the driver to shift gears, making them easier to drive, especially in heavy traffic or in hilly areas.
  2. More convenient: Automatic transmission cars are more convenient for many drivers, especially in stop-and-go traffic or on long road trips.
  3. Better for certain driving situations: Automatic transmission cars may be better for certain driving situations, such as towing heavy loads or driving in slippery conditions.
  4. More comfortable: Automatic transmission cars are more comfortable to drive as they don't require the driver to use the clutch pedal, which can cause discomfort on long drives.
  5. More consistent fuel economy: Automatic transmission cars generally have more consistent fuel economy across a range of driving conditions and speeds.
  6. More safety features: Many modern automatic transmission cars come with advanced safety features such as collision avoidance systems, lane departure warnings and more.
However, it's important to note that automatic transmission cars may not be as engaging to drive as manual cars, and they can be more expensive to repair if something goes wrong.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I know people are losing their mind over this thread and well, it's kind of funny. I think its interesting that the MKV crowd are the opposite to most car enthusiasts though.

Just for a laugh I asked our new AI overlord Chat GPT and here's it's opinion:

Not sure about the second point these days and also point 4 doesn't apply with the MKV because marketing but its otherwise on the money.

And that summary is a zinger! 😂

EDIT: Just to be fair.. here's the opposite coin flip:
Yeah all that used to be true. So much has changed… automatics used to be a pure bummer to drive, the gas mileage was shit, they only had 3-4 gears, etc. Now with 8-10 gears the gas mileage is better, you can be at any point on the torque curve you want to be on track, hold gears, they shift faster and smoother, etc.

But yes, some of those points were very true in my 1986 Camaro. Today it’s a personal preference and lots of variables. A good manual car driver buddy just bought his 1st automatic (PDK) Porsche. He loves it! I can’t blame him at all. In fact he had me go to the dealer with him and test drive it before purchasing. He might track once a year at best. Gotta admit, I was grinning the whole time I was test driving it for him. Freak on a leash!

So maybe no. 5 & 6 in his arguments above might be true. I wouldn’t know since I don’t work on cars. I would bet even that has changed in today’s modern computer chip cars….

The most important element would be you. What you like, what you want to get out of it and if you’ve never owned a manual car, oh hell with the YES 🙌🏼 Buy one while they are still around! I‘m so glad Toyota caved in and made this mofo for all the other car enthusiasts out there that wouldn’t have bought one otherwise!

Edit: Make sure you use your free track day regardless of the transmission! Akio Toyoda was spot on getting owners driving this phenomenal car on the track.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
1675081212144.png

I fully expected it to say, “However, it’s important to note that automatic transmission cars require less skill and attention to drive as manual cars…”

But I guess that’s saved for EVs.

Kevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Poopra, 95 240s(u)x, 91 240s(u)x, 01 Cherocrap
1675081212144.png

I fully expected it to say, “However, it’s important to note that automatic transmission cars require less skill and attention to drive as manual cars…”

But I guess that’s saved for EVs.
Isn't the new manuals auto rev matching? If so not much more different besides the third pedal and the shifter goes left and right... I have noticed though that using my shifter lags just slightly compared to the paddles in my car. :dunno:

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
Isn't the new manuals auto rev matching? If so not much more different besides the third pedal and the shifter goes left and right... I have noticed though that using my shifter lags just slightly compared to the paddles in my car. :dunno:
You can disable that feature

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase

Cornstar12

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota GR Supra
The engagement factor for me personally is worth some loss of performance and MPG. Have driven MT my whole life and would be hard transition to AT. Waited around 3 years to make car purchase decision and was sad to see more and more MT options be removed from different models. MT being added to Supra made it easiest purchase decision possible

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
All the people parroting "the auto will be faster on track"...

Well the 2023 Lightning Lap has proved that to be false.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a42387169/lightning-lap-2023/

2023 Toyota GR Supra 3.0, 2:55.6 (M6)

2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, 2:59.3

2020 Toyota Supra Premium, 3:01.4
That’s tough man. As you know, track conditions make a huge difference. Would have been cool to see how both manual and AT did on the same day (and same year car). I know that’s not feasible $$$ but still… :)

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium

tomfree

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0 Premium
Having spent time on VIR, running the same course as C&D does for Lightning Lap...if you're not running the cars back to back with the same driver, that difference in lap times is well within the margin of error. VIR Grand is a HUGE track. The longer the track, the larger the variance due to weather alone. Then you factor in the changes in the surface over time. The longer time between repaves at VIR makes a MASSIVE difference between laptimes. Fresh pavement at VIR is a thing of beauty, and laptimes reflect it.

I'm not saying the M6 is not faster than the A8, but the data you're using as your basis is simply not enough to make that conclusion.
Sponsored