Modified A90 Supra Thread

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Why is everyone fascinated with the MK4 tail lights? They tremendously date the car and IMO are the laziest designed element of the car. I can't help but think they picked up a MK3 tail light bulb housing, drew circles around each bulb, and said "I'm done!"
s-l300.jpg
Sponsored

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Why is everyone fascinated with the MK4 tail lights? They tremendously date the car and IMO are the laziest designed element of the car. I can't help but think they picked up a MK3 tail light bulb housing, drew circles around each bulb, and said "I'm done!"
s-l300.jpg
They look a lot better thatā€™s why. Iā€™m not very concerned with heritage or anything, I just donā€™t like the ones on the Supra.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
There is evidence that we as humans are captivated by circles. Round brake lights have been in automotive design with quad red lights being the most favorite since the 50's.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/why-do-we-find-circles-so-beautiful/

u8kidsmkcffbwwgwovxi.jpg

8sG1Hqn.jpg

lmore2050.jpg

1996-Lamborghini-Diablo-SV-V4-1080.jpg

chevrolet-chevelle-ss-taillight-emblem-3-jill-reger.jpg

anussey.jpg

DSC02137.sized.jpg

1993-mazda-rx7-espirit-tail-light-cover.jpg

r32.jpg

0fafb27882a8ba92d93a434d6d6a5400.jpg

AC3240A0-F04D-47BD-B474-828F46E94A55_6.jpg

cefeb4e872f277b5b417254d0cf2e88c.png

giphy.gif

DownrightFrighteningAmericanavocet-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
There is evidence that we as humans are captivated by circles. Round brake lights have been in automotive design with quad red lights being the most favorite since the 50's.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/why-do-we-find-circles-so-beautiful/
I would agree but those bodies were designed for round tails where as the MKV and (IMO) the MKIV were not.
This is a better example of the aesthetic I am referring to. Circle tails have no business in the EVO X housing and this is one scenario where aftermarket tail lights actually make the car look better

maxresdefault.jpg

Dunc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsches, Mercedes, toyotas
Vehicle Showcase
When there's enough demand, the aftermarket listens...potential FT-1 style bumper!
Credit: @seidoworks

IMG_8661.PNG
Got a picture where itā€™s not in the dark?

Vten

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Brz,sti, Range Rover, merc e55
Keep my fingers crossed, hopefully theyā€™ll pull together alright, as I heard that company from the frs/brz forum being problematic.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would agree but those bodies were designed for round tails where as the MKV and (IMO) the MKIV were not.
This is a better example of the aesthetic I am referring to. Circle tails have no business in the EVO X housing and this is one scenario where aftermarket tail lights actually make the car look better

maxresdefault.jpg
So let me get this straight. All of the examples I posted look good except for the Supra; yet your example of aesthetically looking tail lights are OEM Evo X tail lights replaced for a cheap set of ebay tail lights. :hmm: :rofl:

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
So let me get this straight. All of the examples I posted look good except for the Supra; yet your example of aesthetically looking tail lights are OEM Evo X tail lights replaced for a cheap set of ebay tail lights. :hmm: :rofl:
Nope. I agree with why we like round tail lights, not all applications of it.

The evo example is showing a similar aesthetic, multiple round tails in a non-round housing. Yes the tails are cheap in price but they are to show an example of design in how sharp angles better match the aggressive body styling than random circles

The inverse application of this shown on a Soarer:
05_2_6.jpg

They don't flow at all with the long lines of the SC to have small circles break up the movement of your eyes across the body.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nope. I agree with why we like round tail lights, not all applications of it.

The evo example is showing a similar aesthetic, multiple round tails in a non-round housing. Yes the tails are cheap in price but they are to show an example of design in how sharp angles better match the aggressive body styling than random circles

The inverse application of this shown on a Soarer:
05_2_6.jpg

They don't flow at all with the long lines of the SC to have small circles break up the movement of your eyes across the body.
I kind of hear what you're saying but again, you're using China ebay tail lights as an example. Those just don't look good at all. They look cheap and look like shit. I'm a fan of OEM tail lights and never felt the need to swap them out, esp with lower grade ebay crap.

What I don't get is your view on Supra tail lights. Those are the most iconic and recognized tail light. They used to be swapped on to non Supra cars back in the days. Often imitated never duplicated... :rofl:

img_2116.jpg

0501mt_02_z+1991_toyota_pickup+supra_taillights.jpg

jose02tail.jpg

1130302130-supra-tail-light-conversion-guide-n-e-were-supra-tailights-240...........thats-nasty-.jpg

crxsu.jpg

2284010003_large.jpg

supraeclipse.jpg

impp_0302_02_z%2B1999_acura_integra%2Brear_view.jpg

ugly.jpg

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I kind of hear what you're saying but again, you're using China ebay tail lights as an example. Those just don't look good at all. They look cheap and look like shit. I'm a fan of OEM tail lights and never felt the need to swap them out, esp with lower grade ebay crap.

What I don't get is your view on Supra tail lights. Those are the most iconic and recognized tail light. They used to be swapped on to non Supra cars back in the days. Often imitated never duplicated... :rofl:
Duh they look cheap and look like shit, I would never use a pair regardless. But quality is actually irrelevant in my comments. I am talking about design only, you're unable to see the forest through the trees. Let's use our imagination for one second and pretend they are of equal regard for sake of an aesthetics argument. Circle tails break up the look the MKV, EVO, Soarer, and MKIV IMO

Would those cars still have used them if it weren't for the Supra?

Those are still 90's cars with a 90's design. A modern car looks extremely outdated with circle lights (I drive one and I still hate them)

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Duh they look cheap and look like shit, I would never use a pair regardless. But quality is actually irrelevant in my comments. I am talking about design only, you're unable to see the forest through the trees. Let's use our imagination for one second and pretend they are of equal regard for sake of an aesthetics argument. Circle tails break up the look the MKV, EVO, Soarer, and MKIV IMO

Would those cars still have used them if it weren't for the Supra?

Those are still 90's cars with a 90's design. A modern car looks extremely outdated with circle lights (I drive one and I still hate them)
TBH, I think you're the one who's "unable to see the forest through the trees". It's still used today in "modern" cars. :thumbsup:

best_taillights_1489454483_615x395.jpg

preview-768x432.jpg
Sponsored