Need advice... Car at dealer now being fixed

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
Hey guys, my car is sitting at a dealer service center now in NJ due to front suspension noise going over bumps and applying the brakes. It's like a creaking noise and my car is completely stock. I dropped it off last Friday and they had to have a Toyota person come in to help the technician diagnose it, and now they are using something called "chassis ears" to help identify the problem. But now it's been there for 4 days and they haven't identified the problem yet. Am I allowed to be impatient at this point and how would you guys address this? Thanks!
Sponsored

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Hey guys, my car is sitting at a dealer service center now in NJ due to front suspension noise going over bumps and applying the brakes. It's like a creaking noise and my car is completely stock. I dropped it off last Friday and they had to have a Toyota person come in to help the technician diagnose it, and now they are using something called "chassis ears" to help identify the problem. But now it's been there for 4 days and they haven't identified the problem yet. Am I allowed to be impatient at this point and how would you guys address this? Thanks!
It sucks being without your car BUT 4 days isnā€™t that long..

When they start pushing weeks is when Iā€™d start to get a little irritate..
With so many moving parts I would imagine itā€™s gonna be a bitch to find the source of the noise..
Plus I doubt they are working on it for the entire 4 daysā€¦
And anything that gets done to these cars need special approval (pretty ridiculous)

best of luck, hope they resolve the issue quickly for you..

Steve

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Ill chime in here because my car was at a dealership for four months or a little bit less the main thing is is that thereā€™s only certain techs that are allowed to work on them and because of this it tends to extend the time that your car stuck there because there are no other techs that are allowed to work on it. Itā€™s not as if just any technician at the dealer can work on it so if he or she has other jobs to do or a day off etc itā€™s extends the time. Itā€™s the downside to owning a car that they have to be certified to work on.
On the plus side it means only one person is responsible for all the work so liability is easier if something goes wrong but for example I wanted a code read because I hadnā€™t gotten my MHD adapter and it still has to be a Supra trained tech to even pull codes on my car.

Antiq8ted_Ex0

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I have little faith in the Toyota dealers and the servicing of this car. Not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but in my area these cars are like unicorns and the dealers seem to know very little about them. I know they have a "Supra" tech but how often does this tech really deal with Supras.

Last edited:

Cheesedawg

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
"and now they are using something called "chassis ears" to help identify the problem. But now it's been there for 4 days and they haven't identified the problem yet."
I'll chime in here for a second just because I feel like there is an un-answered question. Chassis Ears are a set of surface microphones you can stick around a vehicle. They are normally wired into a central box the tech has in the car. Then they can switch between the different ones while driving the vehicle in order to attempt to dial in on where or what component is causing a noise.

It can be very difficult in certain cases as some noises are loud enough, or transfers through to other parts and makes nailing down exactly which specific component the culprit.

Not to apologize for the dealer, I have no clue what may be causing the diagnosis to take longer, I just want to give some insight to the process.

Matthewstorm

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium w/Carbon Fiber.
Ill chime in here because my car was at a dealership for four months or a little bit less the main thing is is that thereā€™s only certain techs that are allowed to work on them and because of this it tends to extend the time that your car stuck there because there are no other techs that are allowed to work on it. Itā€™s not as if just any technician at the dealer can work on it so if he or she has other jobs to do or a day off etc itā€™s extends the time. Itā€™s the downside to owning a car that they have to be certified to work on.
On the plus side it means only one person is responsible for all the work so liability is easier if something goes wrong but for example I wanted a code read because I hadnā€™t gotten my MHD adapter and it still has to be a Supra trained tech to even pull codes on my car.
In NC the Lemon Law comes into effect at 28 days.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
In NC the Lemon Law comes into effect at 28 days.
Lemon law has to be somewhat effected by parts shortages. It wasnā€™t the dealerships fault. Trying to get the needed parts was the issue.

OP
OP

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
Update: they ordered a new steering rack and will install it on Tuesday. They also disclosed that the issue isn't normal as in they haven't received many of the same complaints. Would it be reasonable too for me to require them to do an alignment after the install?

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Yeah, at least for the front, toe alignment should be required.. (?). I would request them to do a 4 wheel alignment for the inconvenience endured, and if they only do the front, well, better than nothing.
Sponsored