New (and old) SupraMKV members say hello!

velocity2325

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Honda Accord, 2009 Scion tC, 2014 Tundra, 2021 A91 Supra
Hey everyone!

After lurking around the forums for the past 2-3 years, I finally pull the plug on buying a Supra and joining the forums. Iā€™m from the Houston area and I deposited for the A91 edition which is suppose to come in this week!

Last edited:

xcon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Red Launch Edition Supra, 04 Honda S2000
Hey everyone!

After lurking around the forums for the past 2-3 years, I finally pull the plug on buying a Supra and joining the forums. Iā€™m from the Houston area and I deposited for the A91 edition which is suppose to come in this week!
Congrats on your new car! Show us some pics.

PREDATOR786

First Name
Ismail
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
EX: 1994 Toyota Corolla AE92 Twincam 16V Turbo (Jade Green). EX: 2006 VW Jetta MKV 2.0 FSi Sportline (Black). EX: 2018 Toyota C-HR 1.2T Plus CVT (Nebula Blue). Current: 2020 Toyota GR Supra (Prominence Red)
Hi all

I can finally say with pride and joy that I am officially a Toyota GR Supra owner.

I fetched my brand new Prominence Red 2020 Toyota GR Supra on the 21/10/2020.

I drove approximately 70 miles (113km) to collect the car.

For those interested, here's a little background info:

I have always admired the JZA80 Supra since the early 2000's (yes, admittedly the FnF had a role to play in that...).

In 2014 I tried to import an RZ JZA80 into South Africa using a well known importer (the JZA80 was never available in South Africa and import laws are very strict here, making it extremely difficult to import vehicles).

Long story short, import laws changed and in the process I lost quite a lot of money and ended up with no Supra...

Fast forward to present day and here I am... grateful to finally be able to own a Supra, a vehicle I have been borderline obsessed with for almost two decades.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Howdy from Texas...we just added a lovely 2020 Tungsten 3.0 Premium to our already full garage yesterday. Really excited about driving it a lot and participating in this community.

Craig

PXL_20201118_011126253.jpg
Welcome, congrats and hello from Lewisville! :thumbsup:

Clotho

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Absolute Zero, FJ Cruiser Iceberg White
Hello everyone! Iā€™ve been on and off the forum and finally joined.

So much fun driving my Supra this summer and now she'll take a break till next year, snow coming soon in Ontario :rolleyes:

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
Greetings! New here, old guy. Irresponsibly long story follows.

I appreciate the chance to talk about me and my favorite cars. We just picked up a 2021 3.0 Premium. Great car so far. Why the Supra? Well, glad you asked! Settle in, we're going on a bit of a ride. I retire soon, and have been saving for a "retirement car" and had quite a few options on my list. This journey ends at the Supra. And a winding journey it is.

I'm a car guy. Well, addict, really. There. I said it. My story is about fulfilling that dream. It didn't come easy. I'm a working stiff with a bad car habit. So, I had to get creative to salve my passion. How? From the mid-80s to the mid-00s, my game was to carefully buy select sports cars at the bottom of their depreciation curve and sell them as they increased in value. Eventually, I worked my way up to a number of supercars.

I purchased a 1985 Lamborghini Countach 5000s for the mid-50s in 1997, and sold that car 3 years later for close to 90K. I thought I was a genius. I drove an iconic, rare supercar for 3 years, and made almost 40k! Turns out, selling that car was among the dumbest things I ever did. I really wanted a Diablo (see user name), and selling the Countach enabled that.

Well, that Countach is now close to a 7-figure car. Even the Diablos are worth north of 300k now. Dumb me. I knew they *had* to appreciate in value, but I just wanted the new (or different) thing. I mean, who could have predicted the Countach - with less than 1000 made and their poster on every teen's wall in the 70s - would become a sought-after, rare collectible? Well, I knew. And *only* had a 2-car garage. Grrrr.

Eventually, I owned 2 other Lambos (a 94 Diablo Vt and a 2001 Diablo 6.0). Ferraris: 88 Testarossa, 01 456 (great car, cheap for a Ferrari V12!), several 308 GTBs. Acura NSX (95 Targa which I traded for a 93 NSX and $20k in cash). A couple of Porsche 928s. 52 MG TGD. And more pedestrian cars. 86 Honda Prelude (my first new car, fresh out of college). Lexus SC400 and SC430 (gorgeous designs). Mazda Miata (the autocross champ). The game here (on the exotics, at least) is I didn't really lose money on many of these, and made enough on many of the sales to afford the next "tier". Those were the days in the 80s and 90s, when supercars were experiencing their second market bubble.

Most car folks get the supercar itch. I scratched it, hard. The reality of supercar ownership is very different than the fantasy. None of these cars are easy to own. If you're not chasing the constant gremlins (and they all had gremlins), you worry about having these out and about. You just can't leave the Countach or Testarossa in the mall parking lot without worry. Whoops, sorry kids, my bad. A "Mall" was kinda like a big, brick-and-mortor Amazon location, with a bunch of categories (called "stores") selling different things, but IN PERSON. Anyway, everything about supercars is quirky. You constantly worry about road conditions, slanted driveways. Try backing up a Countach into a tight spot. That's a learned skill for sure. Open the door, sit on the sill with your a** hanging out, and look over the roof as you barely reach the pedals.

I also tracked these cars, occasionally. I had the Diablo VT in the Silver State Classic, and the Autoweek writer wanted a ride. I said, "drive it, instead". He'd never driven a Lambo. That experience got written up. That was a thrill, to see my car and fun description in a national magazine. I put over a 100 hot laps on the Countach as Hallet Raceway (near Tulsa). What a blast. I returned with the Diablo, ditto.

The racing bug bit me, and I moved into Shifter Karts and Formula Fords. Those were my younger days, when I was fit and had the reaction time to compete. I rose to a regional championship in SKUSA in 2001. That was the pinnacle of my racing career. Now? I built a fantastic racing simulator. That scratches the racing itch, good, and doesn't cost a fortune in tires and consumables for a weekend.

Anyway, this long story brings me to the point of this post. What other cars did we consider? Work and family obligations have removed me from sports cars for the last several years, and with retirement looming, I always knew I'd reenter my most visceral passion. I do feel a bit out of place now. In my heyday, fellow enthusiasts met in person and communicated via newsletters and magazines. We'd meet a few times a year at various tracks.

The internet has changed everything. And the culture. It seems the first thing kids today want to do is mod their car! And what options they have! That's not me. I wanted to buy a car, and just have it work. Didn't want the worries of the supercars of the past. And oh my, have cars evolved! Let me tell you. Our 2021 Supra 3.0 outperforms nearly every car I've ever owned. It spanks anything that didn't have a 12-cylinder, including a C6. About the only car I had that demonstrably outpeformed the Supra was the 01 Diablo 6.0 (which I maintain is probably the best car Lamborghini ever made).

Cars today happen to have 4 wheels and an engine. Beyond that, they're rolling, complicated computers. You just can't compare the amazing vehicles of today with the past. That's both good and bad. I serviced most of my own cars mentioned here. Want some fun? Try syncing six 45-mm side draft Webers on a V12 Lamborghini. I got good enough at that, I was writing tech articles for the national Lamborghini newsletter. It was fun, but I'm pretty much done with that now. And I worry about long-term reliability on these. So, buying new was the best defense for that concern.

So, what other cars did I consider? Even once scratched, you still can't completely rid yourself of the supercar itch. So, a mid-00s Gallardo was probably my first choice, or maybe another 456M. Then I kept remembering the headaches. I came to my senses, again. The Lexus LC500 was a real contender. Until I saw it in person. The proportions are wrong, and I just can't get over the new Lexus grills. Fugly. The F-type Jag looked good, too, but that design is starting to feel a bit dated, and at my price point (50ish), I'd have to buy a used model to get the better V8 engine. The C7 and C8 were certainly options. I had owned a C6 Vette, and it was a great American car. Among the only American cars I've owned. But it drove a bit heavy, honestly. And, the C8 was going to have to wait for availability.

My daily drivers have been BMWs the last 15 years. Love them. My other car is the 440i Gran Coupe, an utterly fantastic daily driver and near perfect do-everything car (hatchback!). So, the Z4 was an obvious choice. Probably my first choice. Of course, that also means the Supra is on the list. And, being $20k cheaper was a huge bonus. I didn't care for the pics of this car. Looks a bit like a tennis shoe went on a bender and got high off helium. Then, I saw one in person. TOTALLY different look. In the metal, it was gorgeous. And in white (my color), it just seemed so balanced. And, all-in prefer the stiffness of a coupe over a convertible.

So, after all that, it was the Supra. And I speak from a bit of experience when I say, at this price point, it is the single best car I've ever owned. Performance that just 20 years ago could only be matched by the most exotic and extreme supercars. My 95 NSX made 270 HP from a NA V6. And that was considered phenomenal! Now, the B58 is easily making north of 400HP and gets 30 mpg+ on the highway. Amazing.

Hope you didn't mind my story. I love cars, it's been my passion since I, too, had a Countach poster on my bedroom wall in 1974. The internet culture is a bit new. I probably violated every rule it has, with this novella-length post. Forgive the old man, he let the kids get rides in all the supercars back then. Viva la Supra!
Sponsored

Last edited: