New (and old) SupraMKV members say hello!

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Sup everyone!

Lurker finally making the splash to join you guys. From Chicago (Go Bulls/Cubs/Hawks), went to OSU (O-H!, #SaveTheCrew) and just finished my first year at my first big kid job in Cbus! Looking forward to the Supra reveal. I'm not really in the market for a Supra, but I'd take a look if by some miracle they came through with a 35k base model lol.

I'm buying a car for the first time, my attainable dream car, the 86 GT (Or a PP BRZ. I like both equally) this summer. In the meantime, I'm studying YouTube videos on driving stick and plan on learning trial by fire when I buy one. I have some experience putting around parking lots, but that was long ago. Looking forward to the challenge!

FirstStateCamber

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 MKIV Supra, 09' 997.1TT, 15' Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
What's up everyone! I'll be lurking and keeping an eye on Toyota to see if this is a worthy predecessor to my MKIV. Only time will tell if I buy another in white...

J90_Dreamer

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Nissan Versa
First off, hello everyone I recently signed up to the forums in anticipation for the MKV like the rest of you. However, after the big reveal of the GR Supra Concept, the overall morale of this forum (and a subsection of the FT86 forum) has been almost overwhelmingly negative. There are thread after thread voicing concerns, complaints, and pre-judgments about the car. So I'm here to voice some positivity.

So to get started, The Toyota Supra is my favorite car of all time. I first saw it in The Fast and The Furious back in 2001. Make fun of me if you will, but the Supra in that movie made an impression that sticks with me to this day. in video games I would race Supras almost exclusively. I would buy every issue of Super Street, Import Tuner, Modified, and Turbo I could find that featured a Supra. The MKIV was and still is a dream car I would like to own one day (as is the MKIII).

When I was about 15 I began looking across local papers and Ebay Motors, looking for a MKIV to own it was then I found out just how coveted they were. I would find them running the average of $77k. Being 15 I was extremely discouraged, but I still searched online and local papers, looking for a supra to call my own. it was then I discovered the MKIII and almost immediately fell in love with it. While the MKIII was vastly more affordable, it came with its own issues. Nearly every one I found had been neglected with blown gaskets, and parted out engines. Around 80% of the ones I found just didn't run at all. Being the every-optimistic 15-16 year old I thought, "What a great way to learn how to work on cars!" Mom thought otherwise. So once again, the Supra eluded me.

Around the time the Toyota/Subaru twins were announced I had come to terms that owning a supra may never happen, as I just didn't have the funds to allocate to buying one. On top of that due to my family being so busy I still didn't have a license. So I settled on buying an 86/BRZ adamant on my first car being a Toyota. Unfortunately by the time the twins released every dealership in the area where treating the cars like they were NSX's What I mean by that is that they were marked up to the mid 30's. One I saw with gaudy dealership accessories was marked, $39k. By this time in my life My need for transportation outweighed my choice of car, so after many trips to different dealerships and one humiliating experience, I ended up with my Nissan Versa (It's cheap to own and maintain and it allows me to save up for its replacement).

Which brings me to the MKV

When it was announced that Toyota was indeed making a MKV Supra, I was overjoyed. Toyota was getting it's halo car back, not as Lexus, but as a Toyota. And like the 86/BRZ I began to follow it's development closely. 5 days ago on the 6th I got a glimpse of what to expect when it releases, Not to mince words her, but I think the MKV is a thing of pure beauty (I wasn't a fan of the FT-1). For the past couple days I've seen a lot of forumites(?) slagging the car for possibly not being the beast that the MKIV was. But that's the thing, The MKIV shipped with 280 in it's NA form, 320 in TT form, It was never supposed to be a juggernaut. It became one due to the tuning community. That said, We all know the tuning community with tear the MKV down to its bones to make sure that it is everything the MKIV was and more.

Have a little faith that it'll come sooner rather than later.

After seeing the GR Supra Concept, I am dead set on owning a MKV when it releases. all the complaints or concerns about the car don't outweigh the chance to finally have a Supra that I can call my own. That is to say I'm not saying that they're invalid, I'm just providing a little perspective.

anyway. If you made it through all that I'd like to ask, What does the MKV and Supra name mean to you?
Sponsored