New Key finally!!

Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Bought my car, and it only had one key. Pain in the ass like usual. Just got back from dealership with my new key. Ran me $435 after tax. I ordered it in Feb/Mar, and just got it. He handed me a full print out of how to program it. It was 6-7 pages long, and said I needed Toyota's program to do it. Since you have to buy the key linked to your VIN, I thought all that was kinda crazy. I took it out to the car, and did the BMW new key learn process. I was shocked, it worked first time!! Finally nice to have two keys!
Sponsored

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
OP
OP
Joebednar4

Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Holy shit. $435 for a key?
Hahaha yep. I have a way of losing shit, so when this car only came with one key, I knew I was kinda at their mercy for cost. Retail is a little over $500 for a key, and they make you pay them for "programming" it. Luckily I run a shop, and that was my "discounted" price :p. Luckily, I don't have to pay for programming it.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
Mine only came with one key. The price+back order means that I still only have one key.

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
Yeeeeeeah, next on my list now!!
Nice! Honestly it’s so nice having them because every time I leave them behind (intentional or not) I get a notification on my phone/watch that pops up really quick saying the keys got left behind.

mxm64

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 GR Supra 3.0
Bought my car, and it only had one key. Pain in the ass like usual. Just got back from dealership with my new key. Ran me $435 after tax. I ordered it in Feb/Mar, and just got it. He handed me a full print out of how to program it. It was 6-7 pages long, and said I needed Toyota's program to do it. Since you have to buy the key linked to your VIN, I thought all that was kinda crazy. I took it out to the car, and did the BMW new key learn process. I was shocked, it worked first time!! Finally nice to have two keys!

Can you please explain the "BMW new key learn process" you used to pair your new GR key without the dealer's help? Thanks

Blindspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
I just spent $800 CAD for two electronic keys for our ‘05 Jeep Cherokee… I know nothing but that seems crazy.

OP
OP
Joebednar4

Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I just spent $800 CAD for two electronic keys for our ‘05 Jeep Cherokee… I know nothing but that seems crazy.
It's obscene. So the dealer has to order the key from Toyota Japan. Toyota Japan then had to order the key from BMW. Then BMW sends the key to Toyota Japan. Then Toyota Japan sends the key to the states. Then the dealership bends you over, and doesn't give you any lube. 🤦🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
Joebednar4

Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Can you please explain the "BMW new key learn process" you used to pair your new GR key without the dealer's help? Thanks
Yeah man. You unlock the car with your working key, with the new key next to it. Then have someone take your working key at least 30-40 feet away so the car doesn't sense it, while you still have the new key in your hand. Then get in, hold the new key onto the key symbol on the steering column (where you'd normally insert a key, there's a symbol there) and then start the car. The key is ordered directly to your vin, so I'm fairly sure it's already programmed.

nashcarr

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra 3.0 PMT, 95 Miata, 2016 Lexus IS300 awd
So you bought a used Supra with only 1 key, yeah new keys are crazy expensive.

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AZ BM3 E50 WMI
It's obscene. So the dealer has to order the key from Toyota Japan. Toyota Japan then had to order the key from BMW. Then BMW sends the key to Toyota Japan. Then Toyota Japan sends the key to the states. Then the dealership bends you over, and doesn't give you any lube. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Sounds about right... o_O
I looked in ISTA, with new G-series & Supra, cant just get a virgin key, needs to be imprinted from factory.

Received 1 key when I bought my car from auction.
Luckily found previous owner's number in the glovebox and messaged him to get the other key.
Sponsored