Lets talk about Faraday cage key storage

I store my keys..

• Total voters

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Thanks, interesting read. For anyone interested, you can find tons of discussion about this around BMW forums if you search "bmw key fob sleep" on google.

Can also test this out yourself by doing the following:

1. Lock the car
2. Place the key fob on the mirror so it remains motionless
3. Wait 3+ minutes (possibly 7+, unclear)
4. Try to open the door by grabbing the handle (which would normally unlock automatically w/keyless entry)
5. Move the key a bit, door will now open normally.

Have not tested yet personally.

Also, sad to find out our Mazda does not have this feature... so I guess I'm keeping the Faraday box either way.
Yep, all over the BMW forums. Wanted to find a proper article.
Sponsored

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
I mentioned this in other thread that I used cookie tin can. Initially, I thought I'd make one with metal panels welded together. With the design, there were some considerations.

- Can fob be in the box or protective cover all the time? - No. you will need to take it out every time you want to open/close/start engine car. This renders convenient entry inconvenient.
- When should fob be in the box? - When I'm not driving. most likely, only when I'm home or away with car for several days.

Faraday box is nothing more than enclosed metal box without any opening or non-metal material. Tin cookie can was a good candidate. so I tested it. I had my fob in my pocket, door opened as expected. I put fob in the tin can, closed the lid, standing right next to car with the can in my hand, door does not open nor can start car. So I got curious. Fob still in the can but opened lid, it worked as if the fob is in my pocket. ever since then, I keep all my BMW fob in that tin can. However, this tin can was a bit small size so decided to get a larger 12" can. when I tested using same method as before, to my surprise, It did not work. I was able to open/close/start engine even with fob in larger can with lid closed. retested small tin can and it worked as it was.

Not sure what the difference is between these tin cans, but the moral of the story is, don't assume whatever solution you have works. test it and make sure it performs as you expected.
Sounds like all excuses for you to nibble more cookies.

eliotrw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ice Grey 3.0

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I mentioned this in other thread that I used cookie tin can. Initially, I thought I'd make one with metal panels welded together. With the design, there were some considerations.

- Can fob be in the box or protective cover all the time? - No. you will need to take it out every time you want to open/close/start engine car. This renders convenient entry inconvenient.
- When should fob be in the box? - When I'm not driving. most likely, only when I'm home or away with car for several days.

Faraday box is nothing more than enclosed metal box without any opening or non-metal material. Tin cookie can was a good candidate. so I tested it. I had my fob in my pocket, door opened as expected. I put fob in the tin can, closed the lid, standing right next to car with the can in my hand, door does not open nor can start car. So I got curious. Fob still in the can but opened lid, it worked as if the fob is in my pocket. ever since then, I keep all my BMW fob in that tin can. However, this tin can was a bit small size so decided to get a larger 12" can. when I tested using same method as before, to my surprise, It did not work. I was able to open/close/start engine even with fob in larger can with lid closed. retested small tin can and it worked as it was.

Not sure what the difference is between these tin cans, but the moral of the story is, don't assume whatever solution you have works. test it and make sure it performs as you expected.
What weight oil are you running in the 12” can?

bk5

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT
Even if the key turns off eventually, proxy keys can be created with a few handy tools on Amazon. The criminals just need to time their approach, basically, wait for you to get home and their tools to create a proxy key. Then come back later for the car.

I suspect the reason that the stolen Supra was unlocked when the thief got there is because they tested that their proxy key worked by unlocking the car first. Then waited around to ensure that the owner didn't hear the beep and check on the car. Once they were confident they wouldn't be noticed, they grabbed the car.

But without a demonstration of how the thieves stole the car, there's not a lot to go on for how to protect from the theft. If you buy the logic of people around here that the thief just happened to have a key, and the owner never mentioned missing a key fob, then you have nothing to worry about. The downside of telling everyone how this car was stolen is then everyone knows how to steal our cars.

If you have to park your car outside, then the best solution is probably a killswitch. It's not perfect, but it might be enough to convince them to leave empty-handed.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
If you have to park your car outside, then the best solution is probably a killswitch. It's not perfect, but it might be enough to convince them to leave empty-handed.
In that case just disconnect the negative. You can wrap a towel around it and put the trunk floor back in without any sign of it being done.

Dven11

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra
I have one and it works. I put all car keys that send signal in there when not in use. It even comes with carry pouches when you're out and about. I don't use the pouches since it's an inconvenience taking the key out every single time, I'm about to get in the car but it's there if I need it. For $20, why not.

https://a.co/d/4eBiywf

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Where can I buy Faraday underwear to protect my dumplings/huevos?
Sponsored