Reactions: zrk

Ilubdakittiez

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
Hey I'm considering parting ways with my winter beater. On slight uphills with FRS on Blizzaks I always struggled, but being a manual transmission, I have more control.
Now I'm curious how your experience with the Supra on the hills are where you stop at a traffic light bottom of the hill ..
I have had no real problems, my 1st winter I had blizzak lm32's which I hated, last winter I swapped to michelin pilot alpin 5's on rear and PA4's on front and loved them, I have a really steep long driveway which I always make up, I can't stop in the middle of REALLY steep hills but I can make it up pretty much any road here in Grand Rapids from a stop, with traction controll on the supra diff really goes to work in the snow and puts the power down well as long as you have good tires that aren't too wide you should be good, its no AWD but my supras kept me safe so I can't complain
Screenshot_20210802-194853_Gallery.jpg

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Before you decide to pull the trigger, look on the forums about issues with the supra. From seals leaking and needing replacing to sport mode malfunctioning to throttle response issues and no fix for it. I don't want you to waste money on problems that will eventually pop up for you down the road and having regrets. If you do decide anyway and don't care about issues, go over that car with a fine tooth comb. Ask for the maintenance history of the car on every little detail. Hope this helps.
There are definitely some issues, and quite a few folks are having worse ones that others. @Jay2004 included. I regularly check up around the car, especially before taking
I have not read anything good about Vroom.Their accreditation with the Better Business Bureau was revoked in Sept. 2020.
FWIW, the BBB is just a private company. Basically boomer yelp. ‘Accreditation’ is just paying for their services.

OP
OP
TiE2000

TiE2000

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
You can try AutoNation for the buy and sell. I see a used A91 Edition in Katy, TX which is close to you albeit more expensive. https://www.autonation.com/cars/WZ1DB0C09MW036636

I had a great experience with them when selling my Audi S5. They gave me a higher offer than the other guys (Vroom, Carmax, Carvana, etc).
Thanks! may use this car for a test drive. Bought a Mustang through them back in 2014 (Special ordered S550 GT) before the new mustang hit the streets. I also Had a decent experience with them.

First, you need to test drive a Supra before you buy it. It's such a huge difference from the Challenger. Many pros (small nimble, purpose built, great handling, lots of mods, more rare, etc) and some cons (much tighter inside, no backseat, harder to get in and out of, not quite as comfortable, more expensive). Maybe try to find a used one nearby you can test drive. Even if it's just a short limited drive you can get a better feel for it.

Only you can decide if the price difference is worth it.
Yea agreed on needing to test drive one. Probably going to use ikeaboy suggestion from a local autonation. As for the price difference, my note shouldn't be too much more than I pay for my Scat now.

Before you decide to pull the trigger, look on the forums about issues with the supra. From seals leaking and needing replacing to sport mode malfunctioning to throttle response issues and no fix for it. I don't want you to waste money on problems that will eventually pop up for you down the road and having regrets. If you do decide anyway and don't care about issues, go over that car with a fine tooth comb. Ask for the maintenance history of the car on every little detail. Hope this helps.
Appreciate it, always good to know were the weak spots are on a car. I've only ever purchased a 1st model year car once before, (S550 Mustang GT) and that car had a lot of gremlins that were worked out in later years. Sucks when your car is always at the shop getting warrantee issues resolved.

I bought my 2020 premium with driver assistance package without ever even seeing a supra in person, the car now has intake, downpipe, tune, charge pipe and water methanol injection, its also running on e60 I've driven mine hard almost 38k miles through two Michigan winters and have had zero problems (knock on wood) I think I paid 57,xxx after taxes it was allot of money for me at the time, I had been saving for two years, but in the end it was totally worth it, the cars a riot to drive, it turns heads, it kept me safe through winter, gets decent gas mileage, insurance isn't too bad, and best of all makes good power with a few simple mods, overall I would totally look into getting one
Nice! I'm still struggling with the thought of buying site unseen. As for your Meth Injection, have you had any issues with that setup? I ran Meth on an old Cobalt SS I had when I was a kid. Caused nothing but issues. Been hesitant to ever do that again. Figured i'd just go the Flex Fuel route and avoid meth at all costs. Would really like some more insight on the topic.

Michigander here as well. I could have said I never had any problems but yesterday after normal driving for about 30min on normal mode with the wife, I pressed Sport button and lost all power. It was sputtering.. I fill gas at same location but perhaps that tiny bit if liquid was shit that caused it. Was in the middle of the road luckily with 0 traffic. Pulled to the curb. Turned off and on. Problem resolved itself. Drove back on Normal mode.
Got home dropped wife of went out for a spirited run on Sport. Filled up. So far so good. BM3 Stage 1 93oct...
Any modifications done to your car? Tune?

Hopefully you can find another used 2020 with lower miles….
lol yea, the miles and asking price for that car is a bit of a head scratcher. Thinking I may hold off on buying until this chip shortage is over.

I would look for one with lower milage. Also I've seen a couple tunable 21s for sale.
I'm guessing earlier 2021 are tunable? What is the date cut off when they swapped to the new software?

Lot of good points here but basically, if you want to "tune", 2020 is going to be the ticket. Definitely try to get in one to test the surroundings. Took a co-worker's Scatpack for a spin and MAN O MAN!!!!! It has power but moving the @$$ around requires it...... :D

Interior dimensions between the two is like going from a 3br/2bth to a studio. Not a bad thing if you like it nice and cozy which is what a sports car should be in my opinion.....
Yea the Scat is not slow by any means, TBH has been a great car. I've had 0 issues with it since I bought it. Dodge has really perfected that platform. Granted that platform has been around for 13yrs.

As for the cabin size. I do need to drive one. The primary function of this car will be long weekend cruises with my wife. We love to putt around country roads and chat. So doing that comfortably is a requirement.

I have not read anything good about Vroom.Their accreditation with the Better Business Bureau was revoked in Sept. 2020.
I didn't know that. Thanks!

If you like V8 sound, you'll miss it...
Don't read too much into the issues.
V8 Sound is awesome, but turbo noises are also awesome. As for the issues, would be good to know were the common issues are at just to know what to keep an eye out for.

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
There are definitely some issues, and quite a few folks are having worse ones that others. @Jay2004 included. I regularly check up around the car, especially before taking

FWIW, the BBB is just a private company. Basically boomer yelp. ‘Accreditation’ is just paying for their services.
It has NOTHING to do with “Boomers.” It was founded in 1912. Also, read reviews of Vroom. You couldn’t pay me to buy from them based on the reviews of past users.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
It has NOTHING to do with “Boomers.” It was founded in 1912. Also, read reviews of Vroom. You couldn’t pay me to buy from them based on the reviews of past users.
Sure it does. The only people still alive that use it, or think it’s of any interest are boomers.

I wasn’t giving commentary on Vrooom it may or may not be trash, I really don’t know. I do know that BBB isn’t interesting at all, is a private company, yet people think it’s interesting because the word ‘bureau’ implies ‘government’ to some people for what ever reason.

MrChantz

First Name
Chantz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Just joined today :) Currently own a 2018 Challenger ScatPack in Plum Crazy Purple. I've owned the car since 2017 (new). My Challenger has around 25k miles on it. MSRP on it was 49k

Vroom has offered me 40k on my car, Got 25k Left on my note. Been eyeballing a blue 2020 3.0 Premium GR Supra with 20k miles. they are asking 49,999 for it.

I'm hesitant to make the move.
1st, 50k on a used car with 20k miles that MSRP'd for 53k is a bit un-nerving. But, if I wait till all these car shortages are over, i'm not going to get 40k for my challenger. (double-edge sword)
2nd, I can't test drive it due to Vroom having the same business model as Carvana. TBH i'm not sure what the driving experience will be compared to my Challenger.

I've thought about buying new, but I understand that the ECU is still locked on the 2021.

one of the main reason's i've been looking to trade, is the challenger is basically optimized from the factory. I'd be spending HellCat money to make it as fast and less reliable. I'm looking for a car that I can build and enjoy for years to come. I've considered getting a Hellcat, but they are a dime a dozen out here in Texas. Looking for something a bit different, and tbh I love the body lines of the MKV. At the end of the day, i'm not looking to make gobs of HP. Looking for a nice head turner, that I can take to local shows and drives around the country.

Would love to know current owners opinions on the car after owning it for a few months / yrs. How is the reliability after doing small upgrades / tunes. How comfortable is the car is long trips (3hrs +). Would you make the switch? Or would you wait until things settle down?

Sorry for the small novel.
It might be worth checking out a Toyota dealership to see what they’d offer on a trade in. I initially wanted to the Carvana/vroom route back in April since they offered a pretty good amount. But I wanted to see if some dealerships around me would offer close (I assumed they wouldn’t). But they actually offered me a few grand more on a trade in than carvana/vroom did. So I got to buy a supra new after test driving it and seeing if I liked with an even better trade in. You should definitely check it out because dealerships will appraise your car for free and it doesn’t take that long.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
V8 Sound is awesome, but turbo noises are also awesome. As for the issues, would be good to know were the common issues are at just to know what to keep an eye out for.
Just going to throw it out there, but this is probably the wrong car if you're looking for turbo noises unless you're willing to put some serious work into it. Every possible silencer and sound deadening component seems to be thrown onto this car from the factory to prevent you from hearing any of it. Just been my experience.

OP
OP
TiE2000

TiE2000

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Just going to throw it out there, but this is probably the wrong car if you're looking for turbo noises unless you're willing to put some serious work into it. Every possible silencer and sound deadening component seems to be thrown onto this car from the factory to prevent you from hearing any of it. Just been my experience.
Good to know. I was under the impression that adding a downpipe and CIA really opened the noises up.

also I haven't seen anything on any aftermarket BOV or BPV, is that still a thing? anyone running anything?

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Good to know. I was under the impression that adding a downpipe and CIA really opened the noises up.

also I haven't seen anything on any aftermarket BOV or BPV, is that still a thing? anyone running anything?
I can't comment on the CAI - just a drop-in filter and silencer delete on mine - but I do have a catted downpipe. No additional noise. There is a bit more whoosh with the drop-in filter and silencer delete (K&N and Verus Engineering component, respectively), but I can't hear any of it now with the downpipe and exhaust as it's that quiet. There is an add-on kit out there for a BOV, but there are a lot of questions surrounding it and potential negative impacts to the car. Digging through the car a bit and also doing some reading, it does seem like BMW has done a lot to prevent any enjoyment from turbo-y noises. I'm not trying to deter you from the car - it's a lot of fun - but if you're like me and you derive a lot of that enjoyment from the aural experience, you may be disappointed in that regard.

Last edited:

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.

This is 100% inaccurate. (Comment you replied to, not yours) I have an Armaspeed CAI with the full carbon Fiber turbo inlet and the turbo noises are insane. You hear the spool and the waste gate blow off clear as day. Cars that have ridden next to me with windows down and heard it thought I was built with a big turbo set up. So turbo noises are achieved quite easily, and VTT has a Silicon charge pipe with BOV set up now, but no one has been able to comment on if you can just slap that on a stock car or not.

Also to address earlier question. 2021 7/2020 and later build dates are not tunable, but the real determination is the DME build. So if you find a 6/2020 build car make sure to check DME which can be done in 3 minutes by physically sliding it out of its compartment under the hood and no tools are needed to do this.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
This is wrong. Go ride with someone who has an MST or Armaspeed intake with the full turbo inlet set up.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
This is wrong. Go ride with someone who has an MST or Armaspeed intake with the full turbo inlet set up.
It could very well be that I'm wrong - it has been known to happen. ? Is it really that noticeable from just a CAI? Maybe it just doesn't come through in the videos or my expectations are too high. When I think "loud turbo noises" I think modified WRX STi with a screaming turbo and BOV that sounds like a round from a rifle whizzing by my head. I'm just not getting that from the videos I've watched with people that have CAIs installed.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I normally don't like buying cars sight unseen, even new, but my 2020 I got from across the country, I am in florida, and the car was in North Dakota, but I had it inspected by lemon squad just to be safe, now onto the car itself. I got my new 2020 premium, msrp 58k, literally everything from the matts to carbon mirrors etc. and I paid 48,500 without tax. I cross shopped the manual widebody hellcat, and charger, and they were boats. my Stage 2 93 OTS supra is not far behind a manual hellcat, and it drives and handles way better, I love the sound of a V8 but with a catless downpipe, and a resonated AWE touring, the inline 6 sings and screams when it needs too, the tech is great, love adaptive cruise and HUD. I would not want a 2021 for the oil burning issues but I see that can be fixed apparently with a heavier weight oil, oh well I still prefer 2020's, they sound better stock for what it is worth. I think even without a test drive, it will be hard to not be happy with the supra if you are looking for a comfy nice sports car that is nimble and small. Stock it was not perfect for me, but with a couple mods, springs, sway bars, and cusco bracing the car handles amazing and looks great! I paid $200 for a bm3 license transfer, and 220 for a catless downpipe and I am making 420 wheel hp and 475 wheel tq, ( basically free if you sell me your oem downpipe) not many cars you can make that much more power than stock for that little money. I would say make the switch, the market is about to crash and vroom is gonna drop that offer, last month vroom offered me 53,500 for my car with 7k miles. Either way you can't go wrong, get that Supra!

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
It might be worth checking out a Toyota dealership to see what they’d offer on a trade in. I initially wanted to the Carvana/vroom route back in April since they offered a pretty good amount. But I wanted to see if some dealerships around me would offer close (I assumed they wouldn’t). But they actually offered me a few grand more on a trade in than carvana/vroom did. So I got to buy a supra new after test driving it and seeing if I liked with an even better trade in. You should definitely check it out because dealerships will appraise your car for free and it doesn’t take that long.
You can also get free offers from the Kelly Blue Book Website for free. I was curious about my 2013 Prius. A local Honda dealer offered me 10k sight unseen. Carmax offered me the same.
Sponsored