New Owner - So Much Hate?

OP
OP

Wj100

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium, 22 BMW X3 M40i, 02 Miata SE
I believe you made a recent thread on bimmerpost that I read.

Assuming you end up in a G80/G82 eventually, be sure to give us a real-life owner comparison as the S58 is one option for some of us to move to from here.

Welcome!
Thanks for the welcome and yes, I'm the guy who bought the Supra and mentioned it on the BMW forum. I've always loved M cars (owned an E90 and an F82 M3 and M4 respectively) and kind of thought it was a no brainer to get a G80 with all the universal praise (except for the grille of course). I still may end up in one or the upcoming G87 M2.

Funny thing though, I just think BMW M cars have gotten too heavy and that's what led me to test drive a Supra. A week later, after 2 drives and a lot of research, I bought one. Time will tell if I get the itch to get back into an M car, but I'm looking forward to my time here...
Sponsored

tg_mkv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV
Thanks for the welcome and yes, I'm the guy who bought the Supra and mentioned it on the BMW forum. I've always loved M cars (owned an E90 and an F82 M3 and M4 respectively) and kind of thought it was a no brainer to get a G80 with all the universal praise (except for the grille of course). I still may end up in one or the upcoming G87 M2.

Funny thing though, I just think BMW M cars have gotten too heavy and that's what led me to test drive a Supra. A week later, after 2 drives and a lot of research, I bought one. Time will tell if I get the itch to get back into an M car, but I'm looking forward to my time here...
I'm glad I'm not the only one with that op. I feel that way especially with the new M4. Too long and too heavy to the point it looks kinda awkward, but I'm not adversed to entertaining the possibility of an M3 in the future.

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
Mostly IG and FB comments. Or stupid people that know nothing about the car and want to just run their mouth to look cool.
Exactly.
I've mostly seen hate toward the Supra on the internet, usually by young trolls that don't know shit about the car (or sports cars in general). In real life, people go crazy over this car. It pretty much gets supercar attention.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
I just picked up a '22 3.0 Premium yesterday and am new to this forum. I'm coming from an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio which is a tough act to follow dynamically.

Prior to that I've been a BMW M car guy for a long time... Was on the list for a new G80 M3 but the wait was going to be extensive. Plus, it's gotten so big and heavy. So that's what led me to the Supra. Less power but less weight.

To me, the BMW underpinnings are a plus, but that's because I'm a BMW guy I suppose. That said, I am surprised by just how much hate there is from the Supra purists on here. The B58 is a terrific engine and the tuning of the ZF8 seems spot on to me although I'd like a bit more drama in up shifts if I had my way.

Anyway, I get that hard core Supra fans aren't happy about the co-engineering (especially since it seems like it's 90% BMW), but can't we all learn to get along?? Happy driving...
Let me start out by saying congrats! Also, that there is a Supra 3.0 and BMW X3MC in the family.

Regarding the hate, I first went to the "other" forum and got nothing but angry comments to a simple question on the new Supra so I headed over here. Much more helpful bunch of people.

Now regarding the ///M vs. a Supra. I just drove them back to back this weekend; the Supra is a really quick car but my X3MC "SAV" will completely destroy it in any performance measure (speed, handling, scariness, etc.). Moreover, the interior is nicer (optional colors, ambient lighting, larger screen (though not sure if that is true on the 22 Supra).

So if I could just compare performance the X3 would win hands down. Unfortunately, in the superficial world we live in, looks matter :). I've gotten maybe 2 comments on my X3 whereas the Supra can't even sit still without someone making a comment gushing about how nice it is. Kids, adults, cats, dogs lol - people follow my gf in parking lots to ask her about it. It really appeals to people's aesthetics.

What I would really like to see is a Supra with the S58 - that would be an absolute MONSTER. I can imagine the G80 is insanely fast with the S58 (weighs less than my X3MC) but man those grills only a mother could love.

To sum it up, the Supra is a hot chick that gets all the attention and ///Ms are way better in bed :p

Vehicles.jpg
-

BobbyC1221

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I find that most people that make those stupid comments, ā€œitā€™s a bMw!ā€ Or ā€œit needs to be manualā€, or whatever are mostly people with riced out civics or some with pretty much beaters.
Basically, those comments mean: ā€œI want one but canā€™t afford itā€.

Iā€™ve yet to hear anything bad in person. Everywhere I go, thereā€™s typically a few people just standing and staring at the car. Itā€™s very odd. I get that is a great looking car and not really something many people see every day. And tbh, Iā€™d prob do the same if I didnā€™t have one.

my girl said she as surrounded by guys when she took my car to the pharmacy one day. šŸ¤£ then she told them itā€™s her boyfriendā€™s car. Still, everyone tried to hit on her until sheā€™s drove away.

Donā€™t listen to the haters. Theyā€™re just jealous. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

Oh and wait until every single civic or STI or whatever tries to race you damn near everywhere you go. Itā€™s funny at first but it gets super annoying sometimes when all you want to do is run some errands or just want to drive around for fun.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
Never got much hate in person. For me, 95% of the time the BMW jokes come from other GR Supra owners.

Any time I've experienced salty people is at cars and coffee. They usually mutter under their breath about it being an automatic or BMW. Half the time it's just some young bucks just hating.

Once the New Z and manual Supras start popping up, expect to here more nonsense from usual suspects and the car "enthusiasts".

Best thing to do is to absolutely ignore it. It's just a form attention seeking and a way to weird flex in front of their crew. Let them have their happiness.

I've never done any auto related events until I got this car. It's funny to see how cult like some of these people are towards a corporation's inanimate object. Gives me the creeps. It's almost like being surrounded by a bunch of condescending Jehovah Witnesses.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium 2018 Audi A5 SB Prestige
In person I got nothing but admiration for the car at every stop on my drive from NJ to PA to GA. I get love everywhere I drive. Online I get chuckles from the keyboard warriors whining about a great collaboration. Haters gonna hare especially when they can't participate.

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I just picked up a '22 3.0 Premium yesterday and am new to this forum. I'm coming from an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio which is a tough act to follow dynamically.

Prior to that I've been a BMW M car guy for a long time... Was on the list for a new G80 M3 but the wait was going to be extensive. Plus, it's gotten so big and heavy. So that's what led me to the Supra. Less power but less weight.

To me, the BMW underpinnings are a plus, but that's because I'm a BMW guy I suppose. That said, I am surprised by just how much hate there is from the Supra purists on here. The B58 is a terrific engine and the tuning of the ZF8 seems spot on to me although I'd like a bit more drama in up shifts if I had my way.

Anyway, I get that hard core Supra fans aren't happy about the co-engineering (especially since it seems like it's 90% BMW), but can't we all learn to get along?? Happy driving...
Same shit on some of the FB groups I'm in. I did a YOHB and some dude or two went off on a tangent how they hate them and BMW are unreliable and wah wah...like ffs dude, make your own cry baby post. I'm just trying to see if dude is part of the group, lol.

Once you own it, you don't really give any shits.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
Let me start out by saying congrats! Also, that there is a Supra 3.0 and BMW X3MC in the family.

Regarding the hate, I first went to the "other" forum and got nothing but angry comments to a simple question on the new Supra so I headed over here. Much more helpful bunch of people.

Now regarding the ///M vs. a Supra. I just drove them back to back this weekend; the Supra is a really quick car but my X3MC "SAV" will completely destroy it in any performance measure (speed, handling, scariness, etc.). Moreover, the interior is nicer (optional colors, ambient lighting, larger screen (though not sure if that is true on the 22 Supra).

So if I could just compare performance the X3 would win hands down. Unfortunately, in the superficial world we live in, looks matter :). I've gotten maybe 2 comments on my X3 whereas the Supra can't even sit still without someone making a comment gushing about how nice it is. Kids, adults, cats, dogs lol - people follow my gf in parking lots to ask her about it. It really appeals to people's aesthetics.

What I would really like to see is a Supra with the S58 - that would be an absolute MONSTER. I can imagine the G80 is insanely fast with the S58 (weighs less than my X3MC) but man those grills only a mother could love.

To sum it up, the Supra is a hot chick that gets all the attention and ///Ms are way better in bed :p

Vehicles.jpg
-
X3MC is also a totally different price category, right? I seem to recall from reviews that the X3MC destroys most BMW coupes as well, that thing is a monster.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
X3MC "SAV" will completely destroy it in any performance measure
Stock X3MC 1/4 is 11.6. Stock for stock the X3MC has a full 8 tenths on the Supra, but eventually the amount of HP you're going to need to make the X3MC not-slow would be far more expensive than the Supra.

Impressive numbers on the X3 regardless, though I believe the fastest S58 record in a G80 is 9.83.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
Seems like the Proclip is the most popular option from what I've read on here. Any issues with the clip making indentations where it attaches to the dash/vent?
I can try to check mine, it's not *supposed* to... but I seem to recall at least one person saying it did leave an indentation in the rubbery part of the trim on the top.

Even if it does, I don't really care that much, personally.

Since some other people mentioned blocking controls / buttons earlier in the thread, I'll just comment that this placement does block some of the 1-8 keys, like the 3,4,5,6 keys specifically. I don't use those buttons at all, so I don't care.

joshthorsc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2021 GR Supra

The purists don't like the collaboration because the GR Supra is mostly BMW. I'm sure most BMW purists will hate the M3/4 if they ever use a Ford EcoBoost engine in their cars also. That being said owning a GR Supra will come with the negative territory. Just be happy with your purchase and enjoy the car.

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
I'm glad I'm not the only one with that op. I feel that way especially with the new M4. Too long and too heavy to the point it looks kinda awkward, but I'm not adversed to entertaining the possibility of an M3 in the future.
I had a G82 on order before I just purchased the Supra. What was initially supposed to be a 3 month wait turned into a 10 month wait and I didn't want to be without a car for that long.

I could definitely see myself in an M3/M4 after the Supra. Having driven a G82 for 40-50 miles, I will say that it's a monster of a car. While you can feel the weight increase from my previous F82, the power and interior more than make up for it. As for the grille, ive warmed up to it. But I would still get a black one to blend it as much as possible
Sponsored