New rumors from C&D: 2020 Supra to get BMW inline six engine / B58 & S58 chat

If the new Supra does indeed come with a BMW motor, woud you still buy the car?

• Total voters

celerity

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F-150 daily, weekend car shopping
bmw-toyota.jpg

http://blog.caranddriver.com/der-supra-east-meets-west-in-the-toyotabmw-sports-car-partnership/

You can see why Toyota and BMW would choose the code name “Silk Road” to describe their collaborative effort to build a new generation of sports cars. East meets West and all that. We will forgive the companies the minor historical inaccuracy—the Silk Road trade route never extended to Japan or Germany—because we greatly prefer sports cars to silk. And this alliance will result in the next BMW Z4 and the return of Toyota’s long-lost Supra.

According to leaks out of Germany, the Supra coupe will appear in two years as a 2018 model. Why would the Germans be leaking Supra details? Because underneath the Toyota-specific body will be mounted a turbocharged inline-six BMW engine. And, if that’s not enough sacrilege, the coupe’s rear-drive chassis will be developed largely by BMW, too.

So what will Toyota contribute to the party, other than the body? Well, money, for one. Toyota also will let BMW in on some of its expertise in inexpensive hybrid technology, although there’s currently no indication that the Silk Road cars will offer hybrid options. BMW will certainly develop a four-cylinder variant for the Z4 while Toyota is unlikely to offer the smaller engine.
Toyota tipped its hand on the Supra’s styling with the FT-1 concept car it unveiled at the Detroit auto show in 2014. With its Viper-like dimensions, the FT-1 concept is larger than the eventual production car will be. Scale the concept down about 10 percent or scale the current Z4 up a bit and you’re in the realm.

There were early rumors that the Toyota-BMW cooperation also would result in a replacement for the slow-selling Scion FR-S, but it’s hard to imagine Toyota seeing enough demand in the U.S. for two distinct rear-drive performance coupes. That noted, the platform should have enough powertrain and dimensional flexibility to be used for other BMW variations and possibly a Lexus model.
Sponsored

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
I think you're reading too much into it but probably right also ;)

Why edit the video and not the article? i'm thinking b/c the article is AutoNew's property and they can write whatever they want and have seen/heard. The video is Toyota material and they can tell them to yank whatever they want.

Then again, I like conspiracy theories :)

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Then again, I like conspiracy theories :)
I love conspiracy theories as well. Below are some of my favorites.

911 was an inside job.
Titanic was sunk on purpose for insurance money.
We didn't really land on the moon.
Lee Harvey Oswald didn't really shot JFK, and or there was a second shooter.

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
I love conspiracy theories as well. Below are some of my favorites.

911 was an inside job.
Titanic was sunk on purpose for insurance money.
We didn't really land on the moon.
Lee Harvey Oswald didn't really shot JFK, and or there was a second shooter.
Have you watched the last iteration of X-men movie? Obviously Magneto went to jail because he was accused for assassinating JFK. I love your conspiracy theory, but you don't know better like guys who do comics book and movie.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
not to mention that MT has pretty much been spot on when it comes to FT1, and they are saying it will use BMW's I6.

FT1.jpg
FT2.jpg

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Yes, hopefully just the block, and everything else (pistons, rods, crankshaft, cylinder head, turbo, oil pan - dry sump -, etc...) will be designed and engineered by Toyota. Not to forget the transaxle gearbox.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
than why not just reuse the 2JZ block?

they may just get lazy and drop in the S55 and call it a day.

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
than why not just reuse the 2JZ block?

they may just get lazy and drop in the S55 and call it a day.
I would imagine, they are going to do something "Toyota" like they added D4S system in Subaru FA20. Hope this time, it's more significant. Dropping S55 in is like putting a timed bomb that's going to go off any second. *pun intended*

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
Which Toyota had dry sump?
I can see them putting in a wet sump, but I doubt it if they can put in a dry sump for the price point. Even the new GT3's axed the dry sumps for economical reason.

Yes, hopefully just the block, and everything else (pistons, rods, crankshaft, cylinder head, turbo, oil pan - dry sump -, etc...) will be designed and engineered by Toyota. Not to forget the transaxle gearbox.

TorqueRules

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus
Not to mention it just makes sense given BMW's expertise with straight six engines which it seems every indication out there is the MKV will get. They showcased an engine cover for an inline 6 on the concept after all.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Which Toyota had dry sump?
I can see them putting in a wet sump, but I doubt it if they can put in a dry sump for the price point. Even the new GT3's axed the dry sumps for economical reason.
No, even normal Porsche 911 has dry sump. How come Covette Z06 has that at such price? Or the new AMG GT? LFA has dry sump. Dry sump is not the most expensive part of the engine.

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
No, even normal Porsche 911 has dry sump. How come Covette Z06 has that at such price? Or the new AMG GT? LFA has dry sump. Dry sump is not the most expensive part of the engine.
I stand corrected. I had read a report that it was dropped in 2014! And a quick visit to the Porsche web site indicates they retained the dry sump.

Anyways, my question still stands. Has Toyota ever produced a production engine with a dry sump (I'm not a Toyota know it all, just asking)?

Go to the "disadvantages" of dry sump (in the link below) to read about the cost and complexity:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_sump

<TC OFF>

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Not to mention it just makes sense given BMW's expertise with straight six engines which it seems every indication out there is the MKV will get. They showcased an engine cover for an inline 6 on the concept after all.
If it really gets the BMW inline 6 it would probably be the all new B58 engine which will replace the N55 which has been used for years now.

The switchover is supposed to happen this Summer --- http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1081449
Sponsored