New tires

Billy

First Name
BILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra gr
2021 supra just put new rear tires..Replaced with Michelin pilot all season and car seems to float and handle differently can just rear tires make that big of difference? Also the info system says tires not recognize wondering if computer is doing something different till I reset it somehow. Any suggestions
Sponsored

Count Mackula

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
2021 supra just put new rear tires..Replaced with Michelin pilot all season and car seems to float and handle differently can just rear tires make that big of difference? Also the info system says tires not recognize wondering if computer is doing something different till I reset it somehow. Any suggestions
I just went through the same thing last month. I posted something about it and found some resolution if you wanna read about it.

I decreased the air pressure down to about 32 lbs and that seemed to help a lot.

After about 500 miles, it doesn’t seem to float as much and tracks straight.

As far as the fault code, you have to do the manual mode. I guess there’s a QR code or something you can use. But don’t know how to do it. I just did the manual mode and it’s fine

OP
OP

Billy

First Name
BILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra gr
Thanks..what tires did you put on?

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Well yeah... the car's handling characteristics are designed around the stock Super Sports, of course if you go down from a summer performance tire down to an all season, the car will feel different.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
having different compound of tire on front and rear could result in unpredictable behavior of the car, especially for rear wheel drive. with harder compound in rear, will promote over steer characteristic. Traction control will help you but still not recommended. lowering pressure may help but it will chew up edges. if possible, change to same compound as front. that's my recommendation.

unpredictable behavior - when wet or on snow or low temp, rear will have more grip than front so it will promote under steer while on dry or high temp, it will promote over steer. it will be hard to predict which one will have more grip on given condition. hence it will be unpredictable.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Switching to manual on the tire setting should calm the traction control system down which will help. Getting a couple hundred miles on the tires will help as well. In the end they’re all-seasons though, they’re never going to feel great.

Reactions: zrk

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
2021 supra just put new rear tires..Replaced with Michelin pilot all season and car seems to float and handle differently can just rear tires make that big of difference?
Are your fronts still the summer Super Sports? Mix-matching compounds can very much cause the handling to go bad. I went a week with rear A/S tires and front summers due to delivery wait times. The car felt awful at highway speeds.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Tires do need some break in to rid that initial squirm and the floaty feel from the release lube..

My kid asked if I have a spare tire on my belly cause my Supra don’t come with one.. :hmm:

darkknight302

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premiun
I'm confused to as why you chose to only replace the backs and with a different spec tire. I don't think mixing summer and A/S is a good idea as it'll throw off the balance. I think that's what you're seeing.

I have both the Continental ECS A/S and ECS and they both have a different driving personality from the stock OE. They drive a bit softer but grip just the same. That softness does make the car feel floaty compare to the OE Super Sport.

I do not miss the harsh ride that came with the OE but the steering was better on the OE vs the 2 Continental's.

OP
OP

Billy

First Name
BILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra gr
Thanks..I had a flat and they didn't have the oe tires..got them to order the oe tires and car is back to normal..hard to believe 2 back tires can make suck a huge difference, night and day

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
Tires are one of the biggest factors in changing a cars handling behavior. The affect they have on handling is often underestimated. I'm not surprised you are feeling the affects of the change.

A few thoughts on why you feel some floating:
  • Going with two different types front/rear will definitely make balance feel off. Grippier front, with less grippy rear
  • New tires have a release lubricant that will release over the course of a few hundred miles and can vary depending on how hard you drive them. This will give you some additional slip and a squirmy feeling
  • Tread depth and pattern on all seasons differs from the summer tires, with the new all season most likely having greater tread depth and more pattern. The actual tread of the tire will move ever so slightly when under load, making the tire feel like it's loose and floaty.
The tires should feel better once you get some miles on them.
Sponsored