New to Supra

tatud4life

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0L Premium 18 4Runner 78 CJ-5 08 Tundra
Hello all!!! I just placed my order for the 2022 Supra 3.0L in Turbulence Gray. After seeing pics for the Phantom Gray though, I will be calling my dealer tomorrow to change my color. This will be our 4th Toyota, but our first Supra. We can't wait!!! Any tips or things to avoid with the Supra?
Sponsored

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
After seeing pics for the Phantom Gray though, I will be calling my dealer tomorrow to change my color. This will be our 4th Toyota, but our first Supra. We can't wait!!! Any tips or things to avoid with the Supra?
One thing I intentionally avoided is the Phantom paint. I agree it looks cool when new, but it's a matte finish, which means you can't buff out small imperfections. I've spent so much time using polishes and clay bars for minor scuffs, hard water spotting, iron deposits, etc. on gloss car finishes that I don't know how I could possibly deal with a matte finish.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
In no particular order:
  • Switch to 5w/30 oil, the 0w/20 is quite thin
  • Bimmercode for quality of life improvements
  • Maybe dial down the sensitivity of the safety system. Lane Keep Assist can get overly intrusive when lanes merge or when going into left lanes for turning
  • Tape down the emergency hatch release. Thread for more info.
  • Highly recommend aftermarket PPF and/or ceramic coat. Toyota's factory options are crap comparatively (barely covers anything, quality felt bad, and leaves an ugly demarcation line on the front 1/3 of the hood)
  • Wind buffeting fix -- anything from the DIY $9 Amazon fix to much more expensive airflow disruptors from aftermarket companies like Verus for example
Edit:
Also added in the wind buffeting fix

Last edited:

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
The above is great advice. I also added convex side-view mirrors for better visibility. It doesnā€™t seem like a lot of people do this, but I find it makes lane changes less of a speculative operation.

Half Vast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 01 Tundra Limited, 00 4Runner
Here's a thought. If you liked the Turbulence Gray but find the Phantom Matte a bit more appealing, get the Turbulence Gray and cover the car in a matte or satin PPF to give you the same look. It'll protect your car surface and not be as much of a pain to maintain.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Iā€™ve seen almost every color supra and I can say without a doubt that the turbulence gray is the best looking. I wanted the red at first but it had nearly no metallic and was basic. The grays were knocked out of the park, however, having a matte car will come with many other problems.. I recommend having ceramic coat ready to go the day after you get your car

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Iā€™ve seen almost every color supra and I can say without a doubt that the turbulence gray is the best looking. I wanted the red at first but it had nearly no metallic and was basic. The grays were knocked out of the park, however, having a matte car will come with many other problems.. I recommend having ceramic coat ready to go the day after you get your car
I wouldn't ceramic coat a matte car. It will add a gloss to the finish. I love matte finishes but I would steer clear from them if you want to drive it and keep it looking pretty.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Agree with this. I ended up going with tungsten as itā€™s lighter and less likely to show swirl marks. But turbulence looks fantastic.

Z4UPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
The above is great advice. I also added convex side-view mirrors for better visibility. It doesnā€™t seem like a lot of people do this, but I find it makes lane changes less of a speculative operation.
Where can I find one? Also, do you have pics of how this would look in a Supra? Thanks!

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Any tips or things to avoid with the Supra?
Practice Limbo so you'll be ready to get in and out of your new Supra without hitting your head or falling on your arse.

Also avoid heavy greasy foods so you can fit inside your Supra..

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
Hello all!!! I just placed my order for the 2022 Supra 3.0L in Turbulence Gray. After seeing pics for the Phantom Gray though, I will be calling my dealer tomorrow to change my color. This will be our 4th Toyota, but our first Supra. We can't wait!!! Any tips or things to avoid with the Supra?
There is a company called Clear Bra. They use a film made by Xpel. They make a PPF for Matte paint. I had my eye on a used 3.0 that was Phantom Matte Gray, so I was doing some research. The car was in another state and I would have had to pay for it to be transported. Enjoy your car.