News, Updates, and Discussions on next-gen A100 Supra

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
But this is for electrification only, right?
Not sure exactly, but there is “talk” about “capacitor boosting.” Imagine, a V6TT with new Yamaha heads and a capacitor pack for additional boost 😏.
Sponsored

gor134

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi Allroad 2013
All that talk about the BMW partnership because the Supra NEEDS an i6 only to go and replace it with a V6? Sounds odd to me, I can't imagine them doing that after what a big deal they made it for the A90.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with a TTV6 for the Supra, but I just find it weird from the whole marketing campaign they went on for the A90 defending the BMW partnership because the inline 6 is important to the Supra line.

If they are working on an updated TTV6, hopefully it can find it's way into a next-gen IS as well.

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
All that was just marketing BS. If the Supra really only needed to be an I6 then we wouldn't have the 2.0 lol.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All that talk about the BMW partnership because the Supra NEEDS an i6 only to go and replace it with a V6? Sounds odd to me, I can't imagine them doing that after what a big deal they made it for the A90.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with a TTV6 for the Supra, but I just find it weird from the whole marketing campaign they went on for the A90 defending the BMW partnership because the inline 6 is important to the Supra line.

If they are working on an updated TTV6, hopefully it can find it's way into a next-gen IS as well.
I still don’t have concrete info on engine types, but based on the upcoming tech they want to use (and currently use i.e., iForce Max), an inline six would make the powertrain layout too long. Now, it may explain the long hood of the GT3 concept as a “vision” for a long hood, short rear end platform. However, I think with alot of their other platforms (especially Lexus) going 4cyl turbo w/hybrid, this may make sense to use an existing V6TT (closed deck, forged bottom end) with a hybrid utilizing capacitor-based electrification for additional boost rather than MPG’s. Something tells me the next Supra won’t have hybrid, but the Lexus definitely will. Question is, which motor will power the next Supra? Is the Mazda deal exclusive to the A100 and the V6TT Hybrid exclusive to the Lexus??

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I still don’t have concrete info on engine types, but based on the upcoming tech they want to use (and currently use i.e., iForce Max), an inline six would make the powertrain layout too long. Now, it may explain the long hood of the GT3 concept as a “vision” for a long hood, short rear end platform. However, I think with alot of their other platforms (especially Lexus) going 4cyl turbo w/hybrid, this may make sense to use an existing V6TT (closed deck, forged bottom end) with a hybrid utilizing capacitor-based electrification for additional boost rather than MPG’s. Something tells me the next Supra won’t have hybrid, but the Lexus definitely will. Question is, which motor will power the next Supra? Is the Mazda deal exclusive to the A100 and the V6TT Hybrid exclusive to the Lexus??
Is Toyota looking for 4 seats this time?

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
@PerformanceSound has been dropping clues and hints all over the forum. I think it would be a good idea to have a dedicated thread on the matter. So what say you? What should change or stay the same? Plus, I think Toyota would like to hear from current Supra owners regarding the next iteration.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat

They ultimately partnered with BMW because BMW wanted that secret Toyota EV sauce, as well quality manufacturering secrets. When B58 was revised by Toyota, it was BMW engineers who were amazed that they X Rayed every component for quality and micro stresses. An eye opener as to Toyotas quality and reliability for them. (BMW reliability is going up since 2016.) Legitly tho. Supra probably wouldn't have been born if toyota didn't bargain for a deal on their end. Sucks it ended up being parts bin basically, but the supra is undeniably awesome and also well priced.
It was BMWs lust for toyota that ultimately birthed the mkv supra. Haha!

gor134

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi Allroad 2013
Understandable, and I guess it's still up for question if that Mazda deal even exists still..

I keep praying it does but with the cancellation of the low-riding bodystyle of the Mazda Large architecture it ain't lookin bright. Unrelated.. I still wonder why Mazda keeps using the RX-Vision body for patents.. makes me hope there's still a potential future for it.

I wonder if the Lexus be equipped with an "affordable" V6TT trim and then V8TT as the highest level? Would be interesting.. as competition for the upcoming AMG GT line.

I'm assuming we'll start hearing more concrete plans next year.. and possibly see some prototypes hitting the 'Ring middle of next year after snow season during the Industry Pool.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Something tells me we will see the return of (or something like) the “Super Capacitor” system:
38BA48FD-1AF0-4CBD-ACD5-690C46F71F54.jpeg

Toyota: “Under braking, in the designated hybrid recovery zones, the system harvests energy which is converted into electricity by the Motor Generator Unit (MGU), located between engine and gearbox, within the gearbox housing. This electricity is transmitted, via a DENSO inverter, into the NISSHINBO super capacitor storage device, sited next to the driver in the cockpit. When the driver accelerates, the hybrid boost is delivered automatically for around three seconds, with the electricity travelling from the super capacitor, through the inverter and into the MGU, which adds the power to that of the petrol engine and transmits it to the rear wheels.”

I would love to have an extra 150-300hp boost for a few seconds.
Sponsored