News, Updates, and Discussions on next-gen A100 Supra

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
A reworked, strengthened, and tuned V35A-FTS (especially with Yamaha valve-train) will be hard to beat. Look what Nissan did with the VR38DETT. A 3 liter V35A-FTS with dual VVT-i, Yamaha heads, modern turbos, and a hybrid system would be hard to beat under $100k. I just cant see a non-“V” type engine in the new platform….industry would have heard about it by now, especially when testing a mule.
Perhaps, but the current lump is lackluster be it in terms of emissions, power density, or even power delivery. Sure, it may be powerful, but it lacks in every other category.

There could be a chance the Yamaha heads would be of some help but it would make sense to build a new series of inline-six and V8 engines from the ground-up that can excel in everything that the V35A-FTS is currently deficient in. The EV revolution is fizzling out and the V35A-FTS is weak... so why not start fresh? In this case, the inline-six won't just be in the GR Supra, but in other Toyota and Lexus vehicles as well. You can make variants for truck and SUV applications, regular sports sedans/coupes, and luxo-barges.

Ditch this V6 and move on. But I'm calling a spade, a spade. The B58 is the best all-rounder engine that's in any Toyota/Lexus vehicle today. Toyota needs to take a clue and either build an inline-six as good as the B58 or make the new V35A-FTS imperceptible from the current mess that it is. Because let's face it, the A100 being an "all-Toyota" won't be enough anymore especially after how high a bar the A90 set.

Last edited:

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
The A90 did set a high bar….for a $60k sports car. The next Supra won’t be $60k or anywhere near that. You are going to see a six figure sports car, and every penny will show.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
The A90 did set a high bar….for a $60k sports car. The next Supra won’t be $60k or anywhere near that. You are going to see a six figure sports car, and every penny will show.
You're missing my point, but if we were to go with what you said, you actually made my point stronger. The A90 is THIS good and it retails for ~55k USD. The B58 gives you so much bang for your buck.

Contrast that to the A100 with the supposed V35A-FTS + Yamaha head. No matter what you do to the V35A-FTS, it won't live up to the predecessor's B58. To top that, it's going to be in a car that's at the bare minimum, be ~20-25k USD more more expensive than the A90. That is not a good look.

The reason why we see the A90 being the 5th-6th best-selling sports car on the market is that it provides the best kit at the best price. You can be sure that if they stick with the V35A-FTS (unless again, I need to mention, if they do something revolutionary), you'll have a more inferior product that retails for a much higher price. The changes to the V35A-FTS better be godlike, and I do have faith in Toyota to do well, but if the new V6 continues to shows the flaws that the current V6 has then they'll lose a lot of interest from buyers.

What I'm trying to elucidate is that if Toyota is going to go through so much hell to redevelop the V35A-FTS, they might as well develop an inline-six from the get-go. People don't realize that with the exception of raw horsepower, the V35A-FTS needs a LOT of ironing out. And like I said before, I do have faith in Toyota to fix the problems that the V35A-FTS has, but at this point why spend so much energy for this powertrain where you could spend that money on an inline-six that can be future-proofed?

Cue the "hUrR dURr BuT ThErE Is nO BmW aNyMoRe". Anyone who thinks like that is childish and has zero grip on reality.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You're missing my point, but if we were to go with what you said, you actually made my point stronger. The A90 is THIS good and it retails for ~55k USD. The B58 gives you so much bang for your buck.

Contrast that to the A100 with the supposed V35A-FTS + Yamaha head. No matter what you do to the V35A-FTS, it won't live up to the predecessor's B58. To top that, it's going to be in a car that's at the bare minimum, be ~20-25k USD more more expensive than the A90. That is not a good look.

The reason why we see the A90 being the 5th-6th best-selling sports car on the market is that it provides the best kit at the best price. You can be sure that if they stick with the V35A-FTS (unless again, I need to mention, if they do something revolutionary), you'll have a more inferior product that retails for a much higher price. The changes to the V35A-FTS better be godlike, and I do have faith in Toyota to do well, but if the new V6 continues to shows the flaws that the current V6 has then they'll lose a lot of interest from buyers.

What I'm trying to elucidate is that if Toyota is going to go through so much hell to redevelop the V35A-FTS, they might as well develop an inline-six from the get-go. People don't realize that with the exception of raw horsepower, the V35A-FTS needs a LOT of ironing out. And like I said before, I do have faith in Toyota to fix the problems that the V35A-FTS has, but at this point why spend so much energy for this powertrain where you could spend that money on an inline-six that can be future-proofed?

Cue the "hUrR dURr BuT ThErE Is nO BmW aNyMoRe". Anyone who thinks like that is childish and has zero grip on reality.
Yeah, I think we were maybe referring to the same point. If the “next Supra” is going to utilize a Toyota motor (assuming no I6) and be attainable to current audience (age/demographic/etc…), it will not be as good as the MKV. However, if what I’ve heard is true, the new platform will be superior to the MKV and it only makes sense as it’s a newer platform….but will cost substantially more. All roads are leading to a V6TT Hybrid, and in the last photo I posted you can actually see (what looks to be) a Yamaha electric motor rear differential combo with the orange cap….which means there maybe room for something special under the hood up front. Overall, I wouldn’t be one bit worried about inferior vs superior in terms of performance, where it matters is cost and I just can’t imagine a $60-$70k Supra having superior performance to the MKV, even A70TTR mentioned this would be in the $80k figure I believe.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Yeah, I think we were maybe referring to the same point. If the “next Supra” is going to utilize a Toyota motor (assuming no I6) and be attainable to current audience (age/demographic/etc…), it will not be as good as the MKV. However, if what I’ve heard is true, the new platform will be superior to the MKV and it only makes sense as it’s a newer platform….but will cost substantially more. All roads are leading to a V6TT Hybrid, and in the last photo I posted you can actually see (what looks to be) a Yamaha electric motor rear differential combo with the orange cap….which means there maybe room for something special under the hood up front. Overall, I wouldn’t be one bit worried about inferior vs superior in terms of performance, where it matters is cost and I just can’t imagine a $60-$70k Supra having superior performance to the MKV, even A70TTR mentioned this would be in the $80k figure I believe.
Agreed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the platform is better because Toyota is damn good at developing a good chassis that handles like magic. Also, I did not know that's what the orange part was supposed to be, that looks really cool. So the electric rear diff is something similar to what the A90 currently has or is it something completely different?

And if it's a twin-turbocharged V6 hybrid, I hope it's good, because losing the inline-six is a huge blow.

Finally, just want the A100 to be accessible to a wide buyer base just like the A90 was. If the A100 offers good performance for the price tag then I hope that people still buy the A100 in droves so it encourages Toyota to keep developing great sports cars.

The photo he's talking about.

not_howard

First Name
Not Howard...
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only Hotwheels
A plus for a V6 is the hood line doesn’t have to be as high

primeakf11

First Name
-
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
We don't know what this new chassis will actually be named, do we? Just that it will be, at least spiritually, succeeding the Supra, and be occupying the upper-middle sports car hierarchy.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
a more expensive Supra would make sense given the rumor mills of late. everyone's favorite Japanese magazine Bestcar says the next 86 will be pricey due to the 1.6 turbo hybird set up and then we'll have that EV MR2 becoming the entry level model.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, again....if what all the rumors and reputable source info is true that the "GT3/LFR" and "A100 Supra" will share similar underpinnings, then from a financial standpoint the "A100 Supra" cannot be cheap (too far below six figures). Remember, the A80 was in the 90's a $50k sports car....that's $90k today's money, and it's only going to go up as time passes. Now, if it has supercar performance and built like a tank like the A80, I can honestly say it will be worth every penny. Something tells me the "GT3/LFR" will be exclusive to the Lexus, but that would contradict the previous info I have been made aware of. I hate this waiting game.
Sponsored