News, Updates, and Discussions on next-gen A100 Supra

not_howard

First Name
Not Howard...
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only Hotwheels
It is an in-house development, so no link to the A90 other than the name on the back. As to whether it underpins anything else, I am not sure tbh; it's not a project I am currently working on. It will be modular like anything modern Toyota architecture, but as to applications I'll leave that to the imagination.
Im sure the purist will be stoked by this revelation
Sponsored

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
It definitely has character, but idk if all that is going to age very well.
I think it will just because it doesn't have all the jagged edges that make all new cars look like something from a StarFox game - plus the fact that its exaggerated hips make it looks like something that isn't really practical for daily driving.

not_howard

First Name
Not Howard...
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only Hotwheels
I think it will just because it doesn't have all the jagged edges that make all new cars look like something from a StarFox game - plus the fact that its exaggerated hips make it looks like something that isn't really practical for daily driving.
The rear is the best looking part of the car but some issues that I have are the awful fake door vents, the tall and chunky hood/front fender height, and the short wheelbase just makes it look short and stubby.

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Count me out on the A100 if they go back to the A80 styling.

In the 90s, A80 is the most aesthetically unappealing out of the five JDM heros- NSX, RX7, Supra, 3000GT and GTR.

The A80 looks bloated and looks ordinary next to the other 4s. I test drove a 280hp JDM version back in 98 and it doesn't feel as sporty as the 245hp MR2 GTS so I ended up buying the MR2 instead. Looks heaps sportier too. My friend had a 3000GT and we raced each other quite often lol
I'm not a huge fan of the A80's styling but taking cues could just mean it will have a rounded 3 and 4 housing for the head and taillights, a drive focus interior, and a 10 feet wing lol.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
The rear is the best looking part of the car but some issues that I have are the awful fake door vents, the tall and chunky hood/front fender height, and the short wheelbase just makes it look short and stubby.
Agree - Would have been nice if the front flared out more by the OEM design.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Unless you're Miss Cleo, I guess we'll have to revisit this topic in 20 years from now.

miss-cleo-now1.jpg

That was how a lot of people on here felt when the car was first unveiled, a short and chubby FT1 inspired shell over a Z4 chassis. Granted, as with most cars it does look better in person.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Unfortunately, I think all the buying a MKV as an investment/future classic type talk on here is very biased and quite frankly, plain incorrect. The MKV is great for what it is (price/performance) but I'm not sure the general car community will ever agree. This alone is likely to see its appeal be smaller than expected and will make it far less sought after than cars that are more universally appreciated.

At any rate, buying any car as an investment, is by and large a determiner that you don't understand how investments work.

..but of course, time will tell.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7

In the 90s, A80 is the most aesthetically unappealing out of the five JDM heros- NSX, RX7, Supra, 3000GT and GTR.

The A80 looks bloated and looks ordinary next to the other 4s.
zoyyoyiofv18qadxoacy4e8&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif

On a serious note, I admit that the A80 is a bit conservative in the styling department but it's nothing a drop, aftermarket wheels, and a lip can't fix. The funny thing is a lot of people that I have talked to think the J29 is the one that actually looks bloated due to its short wheelbase, thick A-pillars, huge mirrors, high hood/fender, and bubbly roof. But we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Moving on to the next model, the GR GT3 and Lexus electrified sport concepts are the only things Toyota has shown off. I'm not saying either of these will equal a new Supra, but if the proportions and styling cues are what is being foreshadowed, then I think they are heading in the right direction.

screenshot_20230829_100934_instagram-jpg.jpg

lexus-electrified-sport-jpg.jpg

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
This prototype looks almost identical to the mules I’ve seen previously (with no spoiler and ugly square panels on the front and rear bumpers). However, the proportions are spot on. This looks like a platform that can be shared for the “new Supra.” Still, I am skeptical of anything outside a V6TT Hybrid system for the new platform.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
I don't see anything wrong with that. There has been some chatter on the web about V35A being paired to a hybrid system for a total output of 700hp.
I know but I'd much prefer an inline-six. I know Toyota has made some departures from the A90 when they developed the A90 with BMW's Z4 but there are no Toyota/Lexus engines that are better than the B58 right now. You could argue that the 2UR-GSE or the G16E-GTS are better but I believe they tie with it in some regards, but the B58 is just such a great engine overall.

The V35A-FTS in its current state is nowhere near as good as the B58 and that's just a fact.

not_howard

First Name
Not Howard...
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only Hotwheels

The A80 looks bloated and looks ordinary next to the other 4s. I test drove a 280hp JDM version back in 98 and it doesn't feel as sporty as the 245hp MR2 GTS so I ended up buying the MR2 instead. Looks heaps sportier too. My friend had a 3000GT and we raced each other quite often lol

Car - NSX.jpg

Car - RX7.jpg

Car - GTR.jpg

Car - 3000GT.jpg

1993-toyota-supra-turbo.jpg
fixed...

You could have at least use a photo with the angle as the others 😂

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I know but I'd much prefer an inline-six. I know Toyota has made some departures from the A90 when they developed the A90 with BMW's Z4 but there are no Toyota/Lexus engines that are better than the B58 right now. You could argue that the 2UR-GSE or the G16E-GTS are better but I believe they tie with it in some regards, but the B58 is just such a great engine overall.

The V35A-FTS in its current state is nowhere near as good as the B58 and that's just a fact.
A reworked, strengthened, and tuned V35A-FTS (especially with Yamaha valve-train) will be hard to beat. Look what Nissan did with the VR38DETT. A 3 liter V35A-FTS with dual VVT-i, Yamaha heads, modern turbos, and a hybrid system would be hard to beat under $100k. I just cant see a non-“V” type engine in the new platform….industry would have heard about it by now, especially when testing a mule.