NHTSA Recalls (Aug 3, 2021) - Remedy Available

Modena

First Name
Modena
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Got the car back the other day, took them a little of 3 weeks to get it repaired.
Part was sourced from another dealer and was send over the slowest way possible to West Palm Beach... Imagine if the part needed to come from overseas...
All is well, car brakes again lol, update went great and full Apple CarPlay, OEM navigation works too.
Had to redo all Bimmercode and set presets.
Sponsored

Attachments

fireball

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90
just wondering whether i have to remove the high flow cat downpipe b4 i go back for the brake booster recall ?

the below is the cut and paste from the toyota service department :

" We will need the car for a minimum of 4 hr working time
As it is a software update we need to confirm that there are no modifications to the cars mechanicals or any of the ecu,s or audio unit.
The recall will return all settings to manufacturer's specification and may cause rough running and navigation and head unit issues if the vehicle has any modifications.
It may also overwrite any aftermarket software. "

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
just wondering whether i have to remove the high flow cat downpipe b4 i go back for the brake booster recall ?

As it is a software update we need to confirm that there are no modifications to the cars mechanicals or any of the ecu,s or audio unit.
The recall will return all settings to manufacturer's specification and may cause rough running and navigation and head unit issues if the vehicle has any modifications.
You shouldn't, no.

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege

No. I had mine done with intake, exhaust, and Downpipe. No issues.

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
Talking with the Supra tech here in Norfolk, there is a small, non-zero chance that speaker upgrades (including the Bavsound ones) can cause the head unit to blow during the recall update.

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Launch Edition / 2018 4Runner TRD
Is this recall still bricking our ECUs and/or head units? I’ve put it off for this reason. It’s my weekend car and hasn’t been out many times.

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Is this recall still bricking our ECUs and/or head units? I’ve put it off for this reason. It’s my weekend car and hasn’t been out many times.
I'll let you know as soon as I get the word from the dealer, hopefully today.
I just so happen to have the bavsound subs installed, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the time being.

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
All good to go. Recall done with no issues. Had to reset my system settings, but that's it.

trev_rs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 Abarth 124 Spider
Recall done, no problems with ECU, had to reset a couple minor things, but most settings seemed to carry over.

It was the first one they'd done. My guess is bricked ECUs are being done by guys not following the instructions ... also NAV was fine.

Seat of the pants dyno from an 80km drive afterwards:

Pros:
Sticky throttle/hesitation seems less sticky or almost eliminated

Pros or Cons:
Shifts are smoother in Sport mode, they still seem fast and crisp, but not that same level of sharp grab/snap it had before.

Cons:
Start-up, less to almost no burbles as the revs drop (used to pop and bang during warm-starts in sport mode)
Less burbles when lifting off in 2nd in sport mode (mine used to pop and bang like crazy, does minimally and when it does it seems much quieter now)
I may have picked up another rock chip on the journey

None of the above may have actually happened, but it seems like it to me. Excuse for a proper exhaust I guess.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Start-up, less to almost no burbles as the revs drop (used to pop and bang during warm-starts in sport mode)
Less burbles when lifting off in 2nd in sport mode (mine used to pop and bang like crazy, does minimally and when it does it seems much quieter now)
These are not cons.