NHTSA Recalls (Aug 3, 2021) - Remedy Available

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I know many folks who have done it - many of them are big into racing and love their cars. They moved from liberal braindead California to Montana.
Yeah, but do they got that Cali weather tho? :p
Sponsored

Reactions: zrk

Musicmovesme

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV
thanks i would remove this but I don't see where I can do that. sorry for not seeing the earlier post

ikeaboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
thanks i would remove this but I don't see where I can do that. sorry for not seeing the earlier post
No judgement here. I've done it plenty of times.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
My car is going to be hibernated starting next month.. I hope she does not crash due to braking issues while parked until next May timing.

More info here on what NOT to do..

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...rs-and-suvs-for-a-braking-defect-a8624060720/

According to the automaker, under certain starting conditions the engine management software could damage the oil/vacuum pump supplying the vacuum that enables the brake assist (also called brake boost) function. Either of these conditions has an impact on the system:

• Pressing the engine start/stop button two times in rapid succession.
  • Depressing the brake pedal very briefly while pressing the engine start/stop button.
  • Eating too much Tacohell.

AP1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR
Seems like you know all about security on this.

But you are talking about message level encryption. I'm talking about access level security. we are speaking of different type of security and for you to say this is not right is saying, "that orange is not an apple." perhaps these ECU's have both access level & message type security. perhaps it's using SHA hash and AES encryption. perhaps they have their own encryption or different way to secure it beyond you and my knowledge. who knows? most automotive application security only involves access level. I could be wrong and it only uses message level security. But I have not yet seen any strong IT system uses message level security only. most cases, access level and then message level is added if necessary.
This is purely encryption issue. Current code requires signature validation for any updates. If update is not signed by trusted key, it is rejected. In older ECU model there was a work around using so called boot rom mode, when you can take over boot process of ECU and inject new software code before old code starts. This boot rom mode is usually added for debug purpose or to recover from failed flash process. Bench unlock process uses that feature. It looks like in new ECU boot rom also checks signature of code before starting it. In the desktop/server computer world it is called "trusted boot". That blocks all ways to load unsigned code into ECU unless you have access to signing key that correspponds to one loaded into ECU at the factory. Even if someone hacks into running code to allow re-flashing without signatrure check, new code won't work since master key for boot rom can only be flashed once and cannot be replaced (this is another protection feature).

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
This is purely encryption issue. Current code requires signature validation for any updates. If update is not signed by trusted key, it is rejected. In older ECU model there was a work around using so called boot rom mode, when you can take over boot process of ECU and inject new software code before old code starts. This boot rom mode is usually added for debug purpose or to recover from failed flash process. Bench unlock process uses that feature. It looks like in new ECU boot rom also checks signature of code before starting it. In the desktop/server computer world it is called "trusted boot". That blocks all ways to load unsigned code into ECU unless you have access to signing key that correspponds to one loaded into ECU at the factory. Even if someone hacks into running code to allow re-flashing without signatrure check, new code won't work since master key for boot rom can only be flashed once and cannot be replaced (this is another protection feature).
so in other word, if you can obtain "signing key" from Bosch (correct me if I wrong on ECU OEM), you can tune any '21 GR supra. given that individual ECU has its own "key", that's a massive effort to find one that is right key of car for manufacturer. although I'm sure they have that in their DB somewhere. I wonder how toyota dealerships will update the ECU.

given that scenario, I assume each dealership will use "special" update tool which will communicate /w toyota/bosch/bmw headquarter to obtain the "signing key" and then update ECU. otherwise, technician will log in and get that key.. either way, cracking it sounds more simple than cracking a master locks... I'm sure there are people a lot smarter than me working on this so I'm sure you are missing quite a bit of information.

also, if one can get that signing key for their ECU, they can tune it, it sounds like..

or... assuming that signing key is programmed into a ROM, if one can replace that ROM /w an open ROM/PROM like was done many years ago /w audi/vw, can be tuned like 2020.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
so in other word, if you can obtain "signing key" from Bosch (correct me if I wrong on ECU OEM), you can tune any '21 GR supra. given that individual ECU has its own "key", that's a massive effort to find one that is right key of car for manufacturer. although I'm sure they have that in their DB somewhere. I wonder how toyota dealerships will update the ECU.

given that scenario, I assume each dealership will use "special" update tool which will communicate /w toyota/bosch/bmw headquarter to obtain the "signing key" and then update ECU. otherwise, technician will log in and get that key.. either way, cracking it sounds more simple than cracking a master locks... I'm sure there are people a lot smarter than me working on this so I'm sure you are missing quite a bit of information.

also, if one can get that signing key for their ECU, they can tune it, it sounds like..

or... assuming that signing key is programmed into a ROM, if one can replace that ROM /w an open ROM/PROM like was done many years ago /w audi/vw, can be tuned like 2020.
I use a (similar) version of this when I interview people at work (But I use HMAC signing).

The question is basically this: Generate a URL for a website that cannot be tampered with.

This is the reference solution that I give to my reports to use when they are interviewing the candidate.

Python:
import hashlib                                                                                                                                                                                        
from urllib.parse import urlparse, urlencode, parse_qsl, unquote

SECRET = "s3kr3t!"

# Generation:

url_to_sign = "https://example.com/[email protected]&auth_level=4"                                                                                                                        

def generate_signature(url):
    hasher = hashlib.new('sha256')
    hasher.update(SECRET.encode() + url.encode())
    return hasher.hexdigest()

def sign_url(url):
    return url + "&sig=" + generate_signature(url)

# Verification

def verify_signature(signed_url):
    # parse the url
    parsed = urlparse(signed_url)
    params = dict(parse_qsl(parsed.query))
    # get the signature
    sig = params.pop('sig')

# generate a signature from provided url (remove signature)
    param_str = unquote(urlencode(params))
    _url = parsed.scheme + "://" + parsed.netloc + parsed.path + "?" + param_str

# verify against generate_signature
    return generate_signature(_url) == sig
The key to this whole thing is `SECRET`. In the case of a server, the SECRET is stored on the server somewhere. In the case of the ECU, in the new ECUs it appears to be encrypted and stored on the ECU.

Keep in mind, this algo is HMAC, not encryption, so it's slightly different. But the idea is that a URL that looks like https://example.com/authenticate?user_id=76267&signature=AbC1@3 requires knowledge of that secret in the code sample. If you don't know it, then you can't generate that signature, it also depends on the rest of the payload (in this case user_id=76267). This allows public information to be "signed." The signature field will be different for any user_id and is a function of string "user_id", the actual id (76267) and the secret. This means the secret changes for any given user_id.

In the ECU world the payload might be "a fuck ton of tuning parameters", a secret, and the VIN. Each combination generates a unique secret that needs to be passed along with the payload to match the signature that is generated the second time through the system, then verified.

I'm tired, and this is a terrible explanation, but if you can suffer through the code (it's not my fault python's standard library sucks for URI params), you can understand the gist.

Or ask me questions and I'll try to expand on it.

To directly answer your question, sorta. You need the signing key, and the algorithm to use with the signing key to generate the correct signature on each pass. OR you need a way around this whole mess since the former is likely impossible.

AP1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR
Key for new update is likely a part of code that is flashed. This is not a signing key, but verification key. They always come in pairs. Boot rom key is another layer of protection - code which was found in memory (if you find a way to install it somehow, like re-soldering memory chip on the circuit board) cannot run unless verified with anoher key. That one is programmed only once when ECU is manufactured. It can be done by OEM or added after initial flash. This key once loaded, cannot be updated at all. It is usually stored in processor chip itself, not in external memory chip. Thus you must have corresponding signing key from manufacturer of ECU. For some reason manufacturers like this stacked protection and add it even into devices in under $100 category, even when processor chip with that protection feature costs a dollar or two more (big deal at high volumes) than one without.

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
My car is going to be hibernated starting next month.. I hope she does not crash due to braking issues while parked until next May timing.

More info here on what NOT to do..

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...rs-and-suvs-for-a-braking-defect-a8624060720/

According to the automaker, under certain starting conditions the engine management software could damage the oil/vacuum pump supplying the vacuum that enables the brake assist (also called brake boost) function. Either of these conditions has an impact on the system:

• Pressing the engine start/stop button two times in rapid succession.
  • Depressing the brake pedal very briefly while pressing the engine start/stop button.
  • Eating too much Tacohell.
I think the third condition may damage more than the brake assist. :)

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Guys I worked at Toyota for 10 years as a mechanic for 9 and my last year as a service writer and atleast in IN I’ve never heard of them not allowing you to renew your registration if you didn’t complete a recall.
With all the banter, I wanted to confirm with you that there's no actual fix available yet? I'm unlikely to cause this problem to happen, but when a risk is identified, I'd like to eliminate it.

Thanks!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
With all the banter, I wanted to confirm with you that there's no actual fix available yet? I'm unlikely to cause this problem to happen, but when a risk is identified, I'd like to eliminate it.

Thanks!
Correct. You should be notified in October, but keep checking the NHTSA website w/ your VIN.