NHTSA Recalls (Aug 3, 2021) - Remedy Available

Jediyogi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR A90
Just a few questions for all the Australian and NZ Supra owners here in the forums.

1) Have any of you got this recall for the brakes done and lost all your ECU tune?
2) Does this ECU update during the recall enable Carplay?

I just had the full-screen Carplay enabled via aftermarket and was wondering if it would be gone post reflash.
Sponsored

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Saw one person mention a dealership refusing to implement the recall due to fault codes. Does this include CEL from downpipes? My downpipe is catted but the CEL came on after a couple hundred miles and then turned off again. just curious what the feedback from the dealerships has been.

Worst case scenario I'll pay for the BimmerLink full version and clear the code before and if it's present, I suppose.

xyros

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition Supra
Saw one person mention a dealership refusing to implement the recall due to fault codes. Does this include CEL from downpipes? My downpipe is catted but the CEL came on after a couple hundred miles and then turned off again. just curious what the feedback from the dealerships has been.

Worst case scenario I'll pay for the BimmerLink full version and clear the code before and if it's present, I suppose.
I was recently told that they are not able to perform the software updates with any fault codes. I returned my car to stock before bringing it in and my update went without any problems.

Poe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Nocturnal Black GR Supra, 2010 Dodge Nitro
Do the 2020ā€™s get the full screen apple carplay, or is it just for the 2021s? I had the update done today for the recall and I do not have the full screen CarPlay and am now wondering if they did the update correctly. Is there any way to verify this software update?

rjn21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
Do the 2020ā€™s get the full screen apple carplay, or is it just for the 2021s? I had the update done today for the recall and I do not have the full screen CarPlay and am now wondering if they did the update correctly. Is there any way to verify this software update?
All model years end up with full screen CarPlay. If you donā€™t have full screen carplay, the I-level has not been updated, which means the brake booster campaign has not been completed (if your vehicle was subject to it - my understanding was every 3.0 supra made was the subject of the recall).

To verify your I-level:
BimmerCode shows it on the vehicle information screen; or

Export your driver profile to a usb, then use any text editor to view the resulting .mpd file and it shows the current I-level in plain text.

To export your driver profile, Navigate to "My Vehicle" and select your profile, Select the ā€œExport to USBā€ option.

If the I-level is below S18T-21-07-519, (Supra, 2021, July, 519 but ignore that last number) you wonā€™t have full screen carplay and the brake booster recall campaign has not been done.

Poe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Nocturnal Black GR Supra, 2010 Dodge Nitro
Thanks rjn21, mine is S18T-20-11-530, so looks like they did not do the update for the recall. Will be calling the service manager in the morning.

hwnstyle21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90
Finally got around to getting the recall done. No issues that I know of. The full screen Apple CarPlay is nice.
My understanding is I have to have it bench unlocked now. It was an unlocked (non-bench) ecu prior to the update.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Thanks rjn21, mine is S18T-20-11-530, so looks like they did not do the update for the recall. Will be calling the service manager in the morning.
They probably have no idea how to read the ILevel versions and looked at the last 3 digits as being higher than target and called it good. It is also possible that their tech is experienced enough to update the code on only the DME/ECU using ESYS instead of running a full ILevel update via ISTA, but the chances of that are about the same as me literally eating my Supra one small piece at a time.

Itengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
got it done today
Throttle hesitation seems to have vanished
Howeever, when I press the Mode button, i only see FM and Satellite as options.
I could have sworn there were 4 options before.

shayan9199

First Name
Shayan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
So has anyone taken the vehicle in for the recall with their mods?

I have FI exhaust, catted DP, and eventuri intake, and while I donā€™t have the CEL showing, I am sure itā€™s going to show when they plug it up.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
So has anyone taken the vehicle in for the recall with their mods?

I have FI exhaust, catted DP, and eventuri intake, and while I donā€™t have the CEL showing, I am sure itā€™s going to show when they plug it up.
I took mine in with a catless DP and full exhaust. My CEL didn't come back on until I drove 20 or so miles post recall update.

racs09

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra A90
Brought mine in today and was surprised the adviser asked if my car has a tune. He said if it did, they would back it up before updating ecu then they can put the tune back. That was news to me but it didnā€™t matter as I was completely stock
Can you link me up with your service advisor. I'm tuned and it sounds like your dealership is tuner friendly. Would greatly appreciate it.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
Can you link me up with your service advisor. I'm tuned and it sounds like your dealership is tuner friendly. Would greatly appreciate it.
The information the adviser gave me was incorrect. Another member called them and addressed the modification question with the foreman. The correct information is everything will get overridden by the update. Nothing is saved

racs09

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra A90
The information the adviser gave me was incorrect. Another member called them and addressed the modification question with the foreman. The correct information is everything will get overridden by the update. Nothing is saved
Yeah thats fine with me. My local dealer wants everything returned to stock. So i dont care if i just need to get bench unlocked again and retuned.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
Yeah thats fine with me. My local dealer wants everything returned to stock. So i dont care if i just need to get bench unlocked again and retuned.
The dealership I went to was longo toyota. The adviser I used, Eric Chung seemed to be one of the best adviser I've used in a long time. So you can give them a try.
Sponsored