Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Beautiful puppers.

Beautiful puppers. Enzo probably outweighs 75% of the forum members here. What got you into Great Danes?

I rarely get to speak with folks in the show-dog industry. Is the movie 'Best In Show' looked down upon?
Lol! Best in Show is awesome! And accurate :rofl: we always laugh when we're at a show and we see types from the movie running around.

When I first started dating my wife she had a Great Dane pup. So I went with her a few times and it kinda went from there. Joined a local club, and met new people, including the breeder of Enzo, who we got after. And once we got Enzo, it snowballed really fast. Enzo was a Champion at 7 months, and a Grand Champion shortly after, and then a couple years later we got his baby sister Amelia who is the foundation of our own bloodline.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ikeaboy

ikeaboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Lol! Best in Show is awesome! And accurate :rofl: we always laugh when we're at a show and we see types from the movie running around.

When I first started dating my wife she had a Great Dane pup. So I went with her a few times and it kinda went from there. Joined a local club, and met new people, including the breeder of Enzo, who we got after. And once we got Enzo, it snowballed really fast. Enzo was a Champion at 7 months, and a Grand Champion shortly after, and then a couple years later we got his baby sister Amelia who is the foundation of our own bloodline.
That's great. I'm glad Best In Show is well liked. It's a classic but nothing tops This is Spinal Tap from those guys.

Don't take this as being too forward. Just curious. What's a typical year of expenses look like for a champion dog? What level of success is required to return a profit on a given year? I guess it's tough to gauge since it's really a multi-year investment.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
Landing solidly into the popular 30-39 bucket myself, at 37 years old.

Wasn't really into cars for the first 2/3rds of my life really: drove very solid but boring Honda Accords through high school, college and first couple years after. During my first job out of college (software engineer) I became interested in the cool sports cars I'd see in the parking garage at work. This led to research, which eventually led to a 2012 RX-8, then came the online forums / communities / casual interest I've kept since. Traded the RX-8 for a 370Z after a few years.

Was holding out for the "perfect" upgrade from the 370Z for the last several years. Supra MKV fit the bill - it's really very similar to a 370Z, but just better in basically every metric while keeping the same spirit. 400Z was definitely on my radar, but I honestly don't trust Nissan to not cheap out on the interior and I don't expect the 400Z to match the agility of the Supra. The Supra felt and looked more special to me. Also, iDrive / bimmercode was a big selling point. Being able to tweak little things about the car via software really appeals to me.

Supra is the first car I am starting to get more hands-on with. At the point with my 370Z that I started thinking about mods, I was planning to upgrade within a few years so ended up not wanting to invest a lot of work / money into it that late in the game. Settled on a ECU tune to spice it up a little for the last few years of ownership.

With the Supra, I am planning to keep it for quite a while (I had my 370Z for 7 years) so feeling like I'll get a lot of life out of any improvements I make to it early on, whether cosmetic or mechanical. So far just cosmetic / software, as I am not yet feeling the need for "more power" - car is a beast stock.

I think one other factor was the awesome community the MKV has here on these forums, lots of chill, passionate folk without the drama. I was originally turned off a bit because I only knew about supraforums.com which are not very friendly to the MKV, to say the least lol.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
That's great. I'm glad Best In Show is well liked. It's a classic but nothing tops This is Spinal Tap from those guys.

Don't take this as being too forward. Just curious. What's a typical year of expenses look like for a champion dog? What level of success is required to return a profit on a given year? I guess it's tough to gauge since it's really a multi-year investment.
You will never see a profit lol. If you're lucky, and you have a well bred, well trained dog, they can finish their championship pretty quickly. Enzo was a Champion in 5 shows total, which is unheard of. Normally it takes at least a year, or more. As far as costs go, it all depends how often you show. If you have a REALLY good dog, that can consistently compete for wins, it's easy to spend $50-$150k a year. We call that specialing. Or campaigning. Those are the dogs you see at shows like Westminster. A show is usually 2 to 4 days, where you pay an entry fee for each day, a handler fee for each day, and your expenses. Gas, hotel, food, etc. A weekend can easily cost $500+

I tell my dogs (and wife :rofl: ) all the time, if it wasn't for you, I'd have a paid off GT-R, 911, F430, (I like to vary the models) in the garage ?

Last edited:

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
19 here, and an 800+ credit score, well just had an inquiry for an apt that'll hurt it a bit, but ya, came from a good household but was able to buy the supra between a couple of good investments, and metal recycling (downpiper buyer here haha) but def could not be here today if it was not for my parents, taught me a lot of how to save and make money at a young age, and took out credit cards in my name when I was born, gave me a good score and history to start, and between financing and paying off my truck, leasing my jeep, and smart with my credit, was able to put abt 35k down on the supra and pay $299 a month for the supra!

OP
OP
ikeaboy

ikeaboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Im in Northern NJ Bergen Co by Paramus
Nice. I'm closer to MetLife. I did see my first Supra in the wild on Thursday in River Edge right by New Bridge Landing station. Red 3.0. First other Supra I saw since getting the car a few months back.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
I have always been in the minority. lol 71 here. Was waiting for many years for a modernized 240Z.

OP
OP
ikeaboy

ikeaboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
36 years old....although a 360 degree L4-L5 fusion has me feeling about 87 some days! LOL
Damn. L4-L5 fusion is most likely in my future. Just got x-rayed last week. My lower spine is shaped like a charge pipe at this point.

I got everyone beat in the "old man surgery" category. I had bunion surgery (bunionectomy) at the age of 32. Screws and all.

Kmj442

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 RDX, '12 Cooper S
35 here.

SO doesn't care about cars. We have an SUV for our pups and outdoor stuff/races and her little focus that she loves for whatever reason so I said screw it!

So happy with the car so far. First longer road trip this coming weekend, 4ish hours up to Syracuse!

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
36 years old....although a 360 degree L4-L5 fusion has me feeling about 87 some days! LOL
Damn. L4-L5 fusion is most likely in my future. Just got x-rayed last week. My lower spine is shaped like a charge pipe at this point.

I got everyone beat in the "old man surgery" category. I had bunion surgery (bunionectomy) at the age of 32. Screws and all.
I had L5-S1 surgery 6 years ago. Turning 50 next month.

The surgery didn't help much with pain and mobility, even after seeing chiropractors and physical therapists for months afterwards.

Took my aunt's advice and started Pilates. After a year, I already felt better and more flexible than I did in my 20s!

Tom S

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Toyota Prius Prime, 2019 Toyota Tacoma, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I turn 69 the 19th of this month and love my Supra.
Sponsored