Oil Analysis: TBN vs Miles on Oil

Down8319

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
This thread has a series of Black Stone oil analysis reports submitted by forum members.
I compiled the mileage & TBN and charted them. This chart only includes the 8 reports which indicate factory Toyota 0W-20 C5 oil.

While TBN is not the only indicator of oil health, it is one of the most important factors to watch. Black Stone recommends changing the oil before the TBN drops below 1.0.

tbn-vs-miles.png

Based on these results, the factory oil running in a Toyota Supra runs out of life right around 10,000 miles, which is coincidentally exactly what the maintenance schedule recommends.

Some very important notes:
  1. These numbers are just averages from a small sample size. Your actual mileage will quite literally vary depending on how you drive the car.

2. Earlier is always better! Sure, if you had unlimited money and time, change the oil every 2,000 miles for ultimate engine health. Hell, change it every day.

3. The results are skewed by a significant outlier. Member TreyE got an amazing 4.5 TBN with 6,000 miles on the oil. Much better results than anyone else. I wonder how he drove to achieve this. In any case, if we remove him, the trend line intersects with 1.0 TBN right around 9,000 miles.
If you're curious how I'll be using these results... I'll be changing my oil around 8,000 miles. I tend to baby my cars. But if I drive it hard (track day or something), I'll change it sooner.
Sponsored