Oil Level Analysis with EcuTek

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Glad it was received the way it was written.

The guy was guessing, until he bought a sensor, and at that point it was far too late. I believe my “speculation” is accurate, but it doesn’t matter. No need to keep going on it when we all agreed to get back on topic.
If Gil didn't get that code, the fuel trims where within operating parameters and the car was able to hit its target AFR.

From your commenting and the lack of willingness to get into a technical discussion, I believe you pretend to know how things operate.

Happy to be proven wrong though.
Sponsored

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Well boys, looks like we've got Toyota working on replacing new pistons and rings. Thanks to the information in this thread I was able to accurately track the issues and the dealership I chose to work with is spot on.

Seems there was no scarring on the walls, but just like I anticipated this car was having blow by likely from the previous owner not really setting in those rings (because the 21s didn't really get properly broke in from factory).

When I get it back (god knows when) I will drive the piss out of it for a while and seat those new rings in effectively.

So turns out it wasn't a lean condition after all... but all issues caused from normal use, covered by warranty :)

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Well boys, looks like we've got Toyota working on replacing new pistons and rings. Thanks to the information in this thread I was able to accurately track the issues and the dealership I chose to work with is spot on.

Seems there was no scarring on the walls, but just like I anticipated this car was having blow by likely from the previous owner not really setting in those rings (because the 21s didn't really get properly broke in from factory).

When I get it back (god knows when) I will drive the piss out of it for a while and seat those new rings in effectively.

So turns out it wasn't a lean condition after all... but all issues caused from normal use, covered by warranty :)
Running lean can damage rings and ring lands. Id be curious as to what the piston, ring lands, rings, and the spark plugs looked like. Its quite common to have damage to the rings and lands when an engine goes lean under high power or poor tuning. Generally the engine otherwise looks ok, if its a high hp engine youll see certain marks on the bearings based on how abused it was.

If the car was already using oil before you bought it who knows what the previous owner did to the car.

If anyone is interested RealStreet has a couple good video on what that looks like, even a more modest hp number will show signs of tuning issues:

"It may be easy to spread your failed engine apart on a bench, look at the rod bearings, and say there is the culprit. Thats why my engine failed. The fact of the matter is thats just a clue and without looking at the rest of the system you may misdiagnose your failure and possibly experience the same failure again"

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
If the car was already using oil before you bought it who knows what the previous owner did to the car.

Yeah I really don't have much data here. I can see the previous owner did light stuff like the wind buffeting kit and the floormats, but I can make an assumption they didn't drive it much based on the service history, and what the sales team told me from Carmax. The Supra was only driven 3000 miles in 18 months, and sat so long that the battery died and the previous owner had it towed to the dealer for a replacement.

So im sure it was possible the previous owner did more damage, but my theory holds water that this was a combination of poor factory break in, and gently driven by the first owner.

I'll ask the team to grab photos of the pistons and walls when they finally tear it apart. I'm sure it would start to reveal more about the history and issues.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
@32bitsofGil

which is the value to look at in bimmerlink for accurate oil level, “raw value oil level”?

6D3FF40E-7E53-4F41-8788-A1C4679B577C.png
"raw value" is a great way to see what the realtime value is, "min recognized" appears to be the value iDrive uses

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
"raw value" is a great way to see what the realtime value is, "min recognized" appears to be the value iDrive uses
great, thanks. So it looks like I am slightly overfilled here then, correct?

why is the “unfiltered” value so different than Raw?

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray

I hate hearing people needing new pistons and rings 😐 at least there’s no cylinder wall scoring like you said. That would be worse. Think it’s the same problem for all 21’s having consumption issues? Also, sounds like you have a pretty cool dealer to work with.

I forgot to update the status of my oil consumption since last oil change. I went down to just one green bar above the MIN mark as seen on the photo.

Drove about 3200 miles on 0w-20 and 6 full track days.

153F26B6-E201-4612-A58C-E48D5EFD473A.jpeg

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
great, thanks. So it looks like I am slightly overfilled here then, correct?

why is the “unfiltered” value so different than Raw?
I’ve never seen my “unfiltered” values change at all. Always 74mm. The only values I use now to check are “raw” and “min recognized.”

just as @Loco38SUP detailed in his posts, my car hit minimum level when the “min recognized” values dropped below 78mm.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I hate hearing people needing new pistons and rings 😐 at least there’s no cylinder wall scoring like you said. That would be worse. Think it’s the same problem for all 21’s having consumption issues? Also, sounds like you have a pretty cool dealer to work with.

I forgot to update the status of my oil consumption since last oil change. I went down to just one green bar above the MIN mark as seen on the photo.

Drove about 3200 miles on 0w-20 and 6 full track days.

153F26B6-E201-4612-A58C-E48D5EFD473A.jpeg
i don’t think this problem exists in all 21s, but it varies depending on the history of the vehicle. I think many 21s are prone to the issue, but the driver can do their own break in if they really drive it like they stole it from mile 0.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
but the driver can do their own break in if they really drive it like they stole it from mile 0.
I'm really very sure this has nothing to do with whatever the issue is. At least it's not directly correlated. I broke mine in per the manual and have zero out-of-tolerance oil issues.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I'm really very sure this has nothing to do with whatever the issue is. At least it's not directly correlated. I broke mine in per the manual and have zero out-of-tolerance oil issues.
It's just my theory... I suppose some of us are just unlucky :(

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Dealership called me back today to tell me my Supra is running again! I’m going to pick it up today!

what an incredible turnaround time for an engine rebuilt in such short time. Will report the oil burn after I give this new set of piston rings the break in of a lifetime.
Sponsored