Oil Level Analysis with EcuTek

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
iDrive was showing my oil level at "50%", but BimmerLink showed 79mm which should be "0%" šŸ¤”

Screenshot_20220914-151302.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
Loco38SUP

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
iDrive was showing my oil level at "50%", but BimmerLink showed 79mm which should be "0%" šŸ¤”

I swear the iDrive has a built-in algorithm to make it less accurate.

Its like a mechanical dip stick, depending on how the light hits it or which side you look at it will be off by half a quart.

-RJM

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0

The ā€œrawā€ value tends to fluctuate a lot. Youā€™re looking for the ā€œmin recognized valueā€ that is the reading iDrive uses.

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
iDrive seemed a little more accurate today, it shows oil level at 25% (one notch above minimum).
BimmerLink shows 80mm. So this is more in line with the other findings in this thread.
Screenshot_20220915-171546.png

mkv_ppf

First Name
Bar
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
has anyone fixed the oil checking problem? Just replaced the sensor and still nothing btw

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
has anyone fixed the oil checking problem? Just replaced the sensor and still nothing btw
Next up you need to replace the oil pump. If it doesnā€™t generate enough pressure it canā€™t get a reading. Thatā€™s what my dealer told me anyway. It involves dropping subframe and replacing those two bolts as well.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Next up you need to replace the oil pump. If it doesnā€™t generate enough pressure it canā€™t get a reading. Thatā€™s what my dealer told me anyway. It involves dropping subframe and replacing those two bolts as well.
Wut? Engine would be toast if not enough oil pressure???

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Wut? Engine would be toast if not enough oil pressure???
Like I said, only relying what my dealership said/did to get it working again

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Oil pressure within realistic limits has zero do do with oil consumption. I can't believe BMW created an engine without some means of physically checking the oil level. As an aircraft engineer of 42 years experience all the jet and piston engines for that matter I worked on over those years had oil qty gauges but they always had either a dipstick, sight glass on the oil tank or you could visually see when the oil level was full through the oil filler on the tank. Any oil consumption calculations were always done based on "oil physically added and visibly confirmed" not what the cockpit gauges read. No issues with having an oil level monitoring system but a physical method is always the last word in engineering terms. BMW what the hell?

Phil

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Oil pressure within realistic limits has zero do do with oil consumption. I can't believe BMW created an engine without some means of physically checking the oil level. As an aircraft engineer of 42 years experience all the jet and piston engines for that matter I worked on over those years had oil qty gauges but they always had either a dipstick, sight glass on the oil tank or you could visually see when the oil level was full through the oil filler on the tank. Any oil consumption calculations were always done based on "oil physically added and visibly confirmed" not what the cockpit gauges read. No issues with having an oil level monitoring system but a physical method is always the last word in engineering terms. BMW what the hell?

Phil
Dudeā€¦ā€¦ coming from a MX5 and S2K, canā€™t help but think what happened to visually inspecting your oil? Like on a regular basis. Never sent it to a lab (unless serious issues) or having a computer gauge how full it is. It really is mind blowing. Glad you said what everyone is thinking! I love the carā€¦ but itā€™s so ass backwards.

A simple dipstick = no need for a whole program/app to measure your oil level or this thread šŸ˜®. No harm or foul, just sayinā€¦ Speak freely @lucky phil Common sense greatly appreciated

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Dudeā€¦ā€¦ coming from a MX5 and S2K, canā€™t help but think what happened to visually inspecting your oil? Like on a regular basis. Never sent it to a lab (unless serious issues) or having a computer gauge how full it is. It really is mind blowing. Glad you said what everyone is thinking! I love the carā€¦ but itā€™s so ass backwards.

A simple dipstick = no need for a whole program/app to measure your oil level or this thread šŸ˜®. No harm or foul, just sayinā€¦ Speak freely @lucky phil Common sense greatly appreciated
It's what happens when the engineering design department creates a system then the bean counters go" well now we have that we can reduce costs on a machining process on the engine block and a dipstick and dipstick tube". Nobody from the "real world end user" has an input. I've seen it many, many times.

Phil
Sponsored