Oil change at dealership question

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
I’m tempted to do it myself as I’m
certain the dealer cares less about my Supra than I do.

Plus here’s an interesting question. Since the entire Toyota fleet has one car with a BMW frame, what are the chances that their lifts are equipped with the rectangular Jack Pads that should be used with all BMWs.

For those who did their own oil changes, how the hell did you get under the car? I guess the obvious answer is ramps, but with the low clearance I’m not sure they’ll work. Also, I’ve hear that using ramps will prevent all the oil from draining (since the drain plug placement assumes the car is level and on a lift for the oil change).
I've had mine up on the hoist without the jack pads, and I've used a floor jack without it damaging the plastic lift points on the car. They're pretty strong. I did end up buying some jack pads from Amazon for about $20.
Sponsored

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
You bring up some valid points. I bet some dealerships don’t have the right rectangular adapters for the lift points.

Also, the drain plug isn’t completely at the back of the pan. There is a section that could pool a small amount of oil based on the angle of the car.

There are a couple of methods for oil changes, ramps, hydraulic jack, and jack stands. It really depends on your budget and what tools you have in the garage.

-RJM

4AADEE22-76A6-4F54-9858-334AE8F61D50.jpeg

9D662F3E-CD0A-47C4-ADDD-F8E86BBE7763.jpeg

Great info on the oil pan 👍
Sponsored