Oil change

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Cool. I see a Platinum Euro, but no Ultra Platinum Euro? Are you using the Platinum Euro?
Yup. That's it. I don't think they make an ultra version. Or maybe they ran out of room on the label lol.
Sponsored

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1455
Yup. That's it. I don't think they make an ultra version. Or maybe they ran out of room on the label lol.
Did some more digging and found out it's just rebadged Shell Helix Ultra oil, which is a very good GTL based oil. Yep, pulling the trigger for sure now. Where do you buy yours from?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Did some more digging and found out it's just rebadged Shell Helix Ultra oil, which is a very good GTL based oil. Yep, pulling the trigger for sure now. Where do you buy yours from?
I ordered from Amazon. With an OEM filter. I just bought a 5 quart jug, and a box of 6 single quarts. Dump the 5 quart and 2 singles, done. Next 2 changes just buy a 5 quart jug each since I have 4 singles left.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I ordered from Amazon. With an OEM filter. I just bought a 5 quart jug, and a box of 6 single quarts. Dump the 5 quart and 2 singles, done. Next 2 changes just buy a 5 quart jug each since I have 4 singles left.
Ignore latest post. We should be using the LL01 approved oil in our engines and not LL04. Apparently LL04 is suitable for diesel and gasoline BMW engines in Europe, but here in the US the sulphur content in our gas is higher and the non L branded Euro spec or LL01 is recommended and not LL04.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Thank you for this.

Since I know relatively jack about oil requirements and specs, how important is the ACEA spec of A3 vs our C5?

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thank you for this.

Since I know relatively jack about oil requirements and specs, how important is the ACEA spec of A3 vs our C5?
Good question, but from what I can gather here, it's just fuel economy standards for low viscosity oils, which really shouldn't be used in our cars if you care about actual engine protection.

https://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/acea-good-bye-a1-b1-welcome-c5.php

ACEA C5 introduced
With engine and motor oil development during recent years there was a need for an aftertreatment compatible specification that covers the new 0W20 and 5W20 oils. These oils typically have HTHS viscosites below 2.9 mPa*s so the C1 - C4 categories were unsuitable. C5 requires a mid-SAPS oil - since it has the same SAPS limits as C2 and C3 - but a HTHS viscosity between 2.6 and 2.9 mPa*s. Fuel economy-wise C5 demands 2% better fuel economy than C3.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Ah, ok. That makes sense. Thank you.

aksprite

First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra, the bus
Ignore latest post. We should be using the LL01 approved oil in our engines and not LL04. Apparently LL04 is suitable for diesel and gasoline BMW engines in Europe, but here in the US the sulphur content in our gas is higher and the non L branded Euro spec or LL01 is recommended and not LL04.
I did a bit of digging and looked into epa reports. It states : "The program sets new vehicle emissions standards and lowers the sulfur content of gasoline to a maximum of 10ppm beginning in 2017". That should be on par with Europe. I'm not entirely sure but it looks like we could use LL-04 now, unless there are other factors. I wasted way too much time on this tbh.

This is another thread discussing the matter : https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/bmw-b58-engine-oil-recommendation.337089/page-3

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I did a bit of digging and looked into epa reports. It states : "The program sets new vehicle emissions standards and lowers the sulfur content of gasoline to a maximum of 10ppm beginning in 2017". That should be on par with Europe. I'm not entirely sure but it looks like we could use LL-04 now, unless there are other factors. I wasted way too much time on this tbh.

This is another thread discussing the matter : https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/bmw-b58-engine-oil-recommendation.337089/page-3
Cool. Either oil type is fine I'm sure. I'll stick with LL-01 as peace of mind since I can't physically measure sulfur content myself.

aksprite

First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra, the bus
Cool. Either oil type is fine I'm sure. I'll stick with LL-01 as peace of mind since I can't physically measure sulfur content myself.
I feel you. I ended up getting Castrol EDGE Euro 0W-30 A3/B4. It was LL01 approved until 2018 when BMW removed 0w oils LL01 certifications. Their 5w-30 euro is still LL01 approved.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
This may be obvious, but I'll state it since it took me a few times before I learned...

Save two empty single quarts but before you use them, mark the full line after you open it with a sharpie marker on the bottle.

Then, when you use up all the singles just buy another 5 quart jug and refill the single quarts to the fill line on the two empty bottles.

I've been doing this on my truck for over a decade and never have to buy less than the 5 quart jug which is usually the cheapest to buy :thumbsup:

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
OK, I haven't heard of this response from the dealership I purchased my car from but I made an appointment to have my oil changed for my first "Free" service. I was called prior to the appointment an told that the Supra has a 10k mile 1 year OCI and I haven't reached that yet. Also that there isn't a real "break in period" so don't bring in my car. This was Monday, today I called the dealership and spoke to a woman who was going to pass on my inquiry to the service manager and give me a call back. Well no call but it's only been half a day.

So, in the manual they outline a break in period, but the customer can't get a service following the period? I think I need to document some things...
Sponsored