Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My mistake. Let me clarify myself. * I the meant to say the engine ran smoother with the new oil from royal purple. The I don't know why the shifting was in my head. Things came out wrong.
Sponsored

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
My mistake. Let me clarify myself. * I the meant to say the engine ran smoother with the new oil from royal purple. The I don't know why the shifting was in my head. Things came out wrong.
Yes, I notice the engine runs smoother. I think it is because of the 5 weight. Even though oil may be 5-30, it doesn't really get thicker, it just responds with better protection like a 30 weight, if the temp is there. So 0 would give you less protection than the 5, and therefore, the quieter/smoother the engine. I assume, that is also why a little better milage with the 0 weight but no thanks.

I filled just before this oil change and got 24.2 around town, which surprised me as I also used some sport mode. (I check by gas used and milage, not what the car says the miles per gallon is, though it was the same this time).

So I will see what type of milage I get with the 5-30 weight.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I notice the engine runs smoother. I think it is because of the 5 weight. Even though oil may be 5-30, it doesn't really get thicker, it just responds with better protection like a 30 weight, if the temp is there. So 0 would give you less protection than the 5, and therefore, the quieter/smoother the engine. I assume, that is also why a little better milage with the 0 weight but no thanks.

I filled just before this oil change and got 24.2 around town, which surprised me as I also used some sport mode. (I check by gas used and milage, not what the car says the miles per gallon is, though it was the same this time).

So I will see what type of milage I get with the 5-30 weight.

I do notice it being a lot more quiet when I'm just sitting at a stop light. When I open it it up, it doesn't feel as sluggish and picks up quickly than I was using the stock oil. I have been monitoring the oil temp when I start up, oddly the car warms up quicker and idles before the temp reading reaches halfway. I believe my average is 23 only using sport.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I do notice it being a lot more quiet when I'm just sitting at a stop light. When I open it it up, it doesn't feel as sluggish and picks up quickly than I was using the stock oil. I have been monitoring the oil temp when I start up, oddly the car warms up quicker and idles before the temp reading reaches halfway. I believe my average is 23 only using sport.
I have the Bimmer Link, so I can monitor many things. Oil temp is reading the same, 232 when fully warmed up and running.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Bimmer Link, so I can monitor many things. Oil temp is reading the same, 232 when fully warmed up and running.
How is bimmer link? I heard of it, but wasn't sure how good it is.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How is bimmer link? I heard of it, but wasn't sure how good it is.
Great, I can see where my battery is, normally around 80%, which is where BMW charges their batteries to, not 100%, so 80 is normal. I can see what the coolant temp is, oil temp in sump, and in the rest of the system. Many reading you can bring up on the screen of your phone. I use the OBD+ for the connection but it also has an app for the phone you can use but the Bimmer link has more info as it is specific to the Supra/BMW. Then there is Bimmer Code, which I also use to change some settings in the CPU.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Great, I can see where my battery is, normally around 80%, which is where BMW charges their batteries to, not 100%, so 80 is normal. I can see what the coolant temp is, oil temp in sump, and in the rest of the system. Many reading you can bring up on the screen of your phone. I use the OBD+ for the connection but it also has an app for the phone you can use but the Bimmer link has more info as it is specific to the Supra/BMW. Then there is Bimmer Code, which I also use to change some settings in the CPU.
Ah ok. Which do you prefer? Link or code?

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ah ok. Which do you prefer? Link or code?
They are totally different. Link Code is for coding only, to make changes. Link is for telling what is going on with the car. They have different purposes.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
They are totally different. Link Code is for coding only, to make changes. Link is for telling what is going on with the car. They have different purposes.
Ok. I'll look into the bimmer link. Don't really feel comfortable with the codes. It's bad enough the Supra has some issues of it's own with software. Lol

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. The service guy I know tells me that when you buy the Supra you get 2 free oil changes. I already did one. Even if you don't get the 2 year Toyota free service, it is still good to bring your own oil and filter to them. I wouldn't get their crappy stuff anyway.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok, I have filled up 2 times now since changing to Shaeffer 5-30 oil. I figured I would get a less millage but I am getting almost 25 around town now and I step on it a lot! That is around 1.5 more than I was getting. Go figure. I thought for sure with the 5 weight, it would be less. Also the engine is a little smoother sounding.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Nope. The service guy I know tells me that when you buy the Supra you get 2 free oil changes. I already did one. Even if you don't get the 2 year Toyota free service, it is still good to bring your own oil and filter to them. I wouldn't get their crappy stuff anyway.
after working a dealership for 6 years, I really donā€™t want anybody at Toyota touching my car... lol

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
after working a dealership for 6 years, I really donā€™t want anybody at Toyota touching my car... lol
Lol. I do agree with that. I know a neighbor that works as a mechanic for Lexus my brother works for Subaru so I hear the stories. I am OCD with my Supra. If it's out of my garage for more than a day I get antsy.
Sponsored