Oil change, engine hours vs mileage

Pvnkzy

First Name
Pos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Anyone here change their oil based on how long the engine is running instead of a specific mileage? Asking since most of my driving is stop and go traffic. I rarely get highway miles. Would 150 hours be a good target?
Sponsored

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Lol you must own a boat too. I'm not an expert, but have enough experience to make an educated guess and say you likely sheer the oil much less at idle than you do when the engine is revving past 3k rpm. So I'd say you can probably still safely change at your milage mark assuming that's 3-5k and not 10k...

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
Unless youā€™re seeing track duty, standard intervals will be fine (I still would change much earlier than 10 though). To reframe it in time, think about the time spent above 4k rpms.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Unless youā€™re seeing track duty, standard intervals will be fine (I still would change much earlier than 10 though). To reframe it in time, think about the time spent above 4k rpms.
First of all let me compliment you on the Real Genius quote in your sig. Loved that movie and feel old realizing how long ago that was when I saw it in the theater. Sigh.

So if we go by time spent above 4K... it's probably 10 minutes max between changes in my case - basically the same as the brake pads since I have to slam on them 3 seconds into a pull due to the soccer mom that switched lanes at 50mph on the freeway. :mad:

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
First of all let me compliment you on the Real Genius quote in your sig. Loved that movie and feel old realizing how long ago that was when I saw it in the theater. Sigh.

So if we go by time spent above 4K... it's probably 10 minutes max between changes in my case - basically the same as the brake pads since I have to slam on them 3 seconds into a pull due to the soccer mom that switched lanes at 50mph on the freeway. :mad:
I think you're the first person to ever catch that quote :cool: Cheers.

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
i have changed the oil 3x now. The first change i did at 500 miles and was able to reset the computer without issue. From that point on, the car was sure to tell me when a year had passed and it clutched its pearls if i wanted to reset the computer a few weeks early telling me it was impossible. So there is definitely yearly built in tracking.
Sponsored