Oil maintenance reset light “Impossible”

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Car has only 600 Miles currently and maintenance light is on “10,000 miles and 12/20. I know low miles. Lol

I plan on doing an oil change next week myself and today I was unable to reset the oil maintenance light because it says “Impossible.” ?‍♂

I wanted to reset the oil light first bc it’s annoying as hell when driving it around with the maintenance light on.

Watched all the you tube videos but those always had a “possible” oil maintenance reset.

I know I haven’t hit the 10,000 miles yet but the 12 month time period has already passed.

I tried changing the date and etc. Still saying “Impossible.”

Oil level is fine as well when I go to measure it in the infotainment.

Anybody has any ideas? I seen people mentioned this issue in other thread with no solutions.
I did tons of bmw online forum search with no definitive answers. I really don’t want to take it Toyota.

My date and time is current in my car as well.

4CC00881-E0A9-49BA-B334-65AABF20A3A2.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
I had the same issue at 800 miles. I took it to toyota and they actually did an oil change and were able to reset it afterwards. Not sure I believe the advisor but he said that oil had to be drained before it could be reset. Seeing that you did, not sure what they did differently on my car

OP
OP
Axix23

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I had the same issue at 800 miles. I took it to toyota and they actually did an oil change and were able to reset it afterwards. Not sure I believe the advisor but he said that oil had to be drained before it could be reset
So there is an actual sensor that actually makes you drain the oil before you can reset it? Lol Just WOW. I was going to wait alittle longer before I change mine but wanted to get rid of the annoying ass oil light. Lol

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Same, I wanted to wait until 1500 to get my first oil change but had it done at 800 instead

I have yet to find in any truth on what I was told and it did come from a service advisor so take it with a grain of salt.

All I do know is that the same dealership tried to reset it without doing an oil change a week before and were unable to do so. After the oil change they were able to reset it.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
you will be better off changing oil if it's more than 12 month in engine. Oil do degrade/oxidate over time. shelf life of oil in opened container is much shorter than one in un-opened container. I do change oil in my s2000 even though it's driven less than 200 miles to synthetic every year.

change oil and be done with it.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The oil in my car was at least 1 year old. Manuf date was Aug 19 and the maintenance light went on in September.

OP
OP
Axix23

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
you will be better off changing oil if it's more than 12 month in engine. Oil do degrade/oxidate over time. shelf life of oil in opened container is much shorter than one in un-opened container. I do change oil in my s2000 even though it's driven less than 200 miles to synthetic every year.

change oil and be done with it.
i plan on next few weeks. Even if i change my oil, i may still cant reset the oil light.

OP
OP
Axix23

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
just curious.. i had 3 yr maintenance program when i purchased the supra. I thought it was for all - first toyota buyer I am. if you do have it, why not take advantage of it?
because I worked for a dealership for 7 years and I saw how we butchered customers’ cars.

I am not worried about taking advantage of some free oil and filters as I have a ton stocked up at my house.

I also would like for my ecu not to be locked and my tune to be over rided.

So yeah, I prefer not to take it to the dealership.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
These Bimmer computers are weird about this, they have internal service counter flags, and if it's not set off in a particular way, it'll give you this "Not Possible" malarkey. The solution is to either wait until the service flag does get set again (maybe at 10k miles), or you can use one of the BMW Coding Apps to reset the oil light. I don't know if Bimmercode does it, but I believe the Carly OBD Coder has that functionality. No guarantees that it works for Supra though, but it does work on previous BMWs.

OP
OP
Axix23

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
These Bimmer computers are weird about this, they have internal service counter flags, and if it's not set off in a particular way, it'll give you this "Not Possible" malarkey. The solution is to either wait until the service flag does get set again (maybe at 10k miles), or you can use one of the BMW Coding Apps to reset the oil light. I don't know if Bimmercode does it, but I believe the Carly OBD Coder has that functionality. No guarantees that it works for Supra though, but it does work on previous BMWs.
okay thank you! Right now, the oil maintenance light and service light is both on. Super annoying. I was going to wait another month to change my own oil. Only way I found to turn them off temporary is to dial back the date back to 1/19/20. lol

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I’m wondering if the minimum mileage to allow for reset is >1000. One of the Supra oil change videos on YouTube shows the odometer with right under 2000 miles.

I’ll check once I roll over 1000 and update.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’m wondering if the minimum mileage to allow for reset is >1000. One of the Supra oil change videos on YouTube shows the odometer with right under 2000 miles.

I’ll check once I roll over 1000 and update.
Not sure this is true, since the dealership was able to reset mine after an oil change under 1k miles

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Not sure this is true, since the dealership was able to reset mine after an oil change under 1k miles
Yeah, sorry I should’ve specified that I was referring to reset via the Combination Meter (trip button). Dealers with ISTA can reset it regardless of the mileage or time.

I also emailed Autel and Launch, which are two of the largest aftermarket diagnostic tool makers. They don’t have the Supra added just yet. Autel said likely in Q2.
Sponsored