Oil Temperature

Hakkim23

First Name
Basith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2002 Toyota Camry
i was making a point dumbass. You don’t even have a Supra. You just talking out of your ass. Gtfo. Nobody likes you on here.
You dumbass he ordered it so technically he does have a Supra even though he hasn't taken delivery of it
You should put your money where your mouth is
Sponsored

fireball

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90
What I don't understand is why the coolant temp is so high on this car even at minimal load cruising. It seems to be about 111C . In all the cars I've ever owned, coolant was only 85-95C with normal driving and driving at the track under load it would only be about 100C at most. Does this car need a more efficient radiator?

racer01

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
I just monitored different sensors for the first time with my MHD flasher. I've never seen an engine reach normal operating temperature so quickly. As soon as the temp gauge in the dash reaches four bars, which takes about two miles, both coolant and oil are 200 degrees.
I saw the same thing when I purchased mine. Very quick and pretty even ramp up of temp for both coolant and oil. Definitely not "normal" so I did some research and the B58c design flows a good bit of coolant through the exhaust manifold which is build into the head. This heats up the coolant really quickly, and in turn this hot coolant runs to a heat exchanger that warms up the oil very quickly. Relatively complicated system with low temp and high temp loops and electronically controlled instead of a old school thermostat. I changed to Redline 5w-40 and didn't see a reduction in the quick warm up temps for oil but still stayed below 275F during road course use.
Hate this tread got pretty much ruined...interesting topic.

OP
OP

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
I came across this which explains the rapid warmup

"BMW has also stressed temperature management in the B58, BMW has incorporated an engine-mounted encapsulation system, which allows the engine to retain much of its heat for up to 36 hours which helps to reduce emissions and wear and tear during start-up, especially in colder climates."

racer01

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
What I don't understand is why the coolant temp is so high on this car even at minimal load cruising. It seems to be about 111C . In all the cars I've ever owned, coolant was only 85-95C with normal driving and driving at the track under load it would only be about 100C at most. Does this car need a more efficient radiator?
The B58 (like many modern engines) is designed to run hotter for efficiency and fuel economy. The computer controlled cooling system would run 111C (~230F) no matter how "big" a cooling system you put on the car.
An interesting fact (to me at least) is the car doesn't have "a radiator" but rather 4 coolant heat exchangers in the nose of the car. Two main radiators sandwiched together in the traditional spot, and two aux coolers, one on each side of the nose.
Another interesting point is the car doesn't have a traditional air conditioning condenser in front of the radiator, but rather the condenser unit is cooled with coolant and sits behind the drivers side headlight. Pretty trick stuff....or "overly complicated modern crap that is unnecessary and just more stuff to break" depending on your point of view.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Does the B58 have Vtec? No? K then.
i mean technically the B58 has VTEC. its just called Valvetronic (valve lift) on the intake side. and the Vanos (cam timing) on the intake and exhaust. Vanos does use oil pressure, and Valvetronic uses an electric motor to actuate it. Valvetronic is used in a more advanced way on these engines than VTEC on hondas. but yea.

In reference to the oil and coolant, these cars have pretty advanced cooling systems where you can target certain temperatures rather than just having a t-stat open at a certain temp and etc.

I used the oil that came in the car for break in and since have moved to my usual 5w40 Schaeffer Oil as with all our builds.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
i mean technically the B58 has VTEC. its just called Valvetronic (valve lift) on the intake side. and the Vanos (cam timing) on the intake and exhaust. Vanos does use oil pressure, and Valvetronic uses an electric motor to actuate it. Valvetronic is used in a more advanced way on these engines than VTEC on hondas. but yea.

In reference to the oil and coolant, these cars have pretty advanced cooling systems where you can target certain temperatures rather than just having a t-stat open at a certain temp and etc.

I used the oil that came in the car for break in and since have moved to my usual 5w40 Schaeffer Oil as with all our builds.
thanks!! lol :)

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I just noticed the same quick operating temp rise on JB4. I searched before starting new thread.
Couple points in a respectful manner.
Coming from a long line of turbo and modded bmws.
oil temp is paramount. Believe BMW was and is more concerned about oil temp before certain rpms for at least dozen years or more. And with good reason.
in fact several of my BMWs limited boost until certain OIL temps were reached.

fortunately for us the B58 heats up nice and quickly. My previous turbo took 4 times the distance before fully heating up and allowing full boost.

def change out the thin oil weight if you drive enthusiastically at all!

OP
OP

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
I've noticed that on a datalog from 30-130 mph my oil temp is exactly the same beginning to end. 236 as I recall. In fact I thought I saw someone comment that during a 20 minute track session their oil temp actually dropped a bit, though maybe I am imagining things.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
The B58 (like many modern engines) is designed to run hotter for efficiency and fuel economy. The computer controlled cooling system would run 111C (~230F) no matter how "big" a cooling system you put on the car.
An interesting fact (to me at least) is the car doesn't have "a radiator" but rather 4 coolant heat exchangers in the nose of the car. Two main radiators sandwiched together in the traditional spot, and two aux coolers, one on each side of the nose.
Another interesting point is the car doesn't have a traditional air conditioning condenser in front of the radiator, but rather the condenser unit is cooled with coolant and sits behind the drivers side headlight. Pretty trick stuff....or "overly complicated modern crap that is unnecessary and just more stuff to break" depending on your point of view.
That is a very interesting design for the condensor and radiator.
Thanks for sharing it. :thumbsup:

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
I'm sure it has to do with the heat exchangers. That's what its for, to exchange heat :p

thunderous_rs

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Audi RS6, 2019 Audi RS4, 2005 Evo 8 MR
What is "turbo engine lubrication"? You shouldn't even be achieving RPM's close to activating the turbo until the oil is at full temp.

The first number simply indicates the weight of the oil at startup. Thin 0 weight at start and then 20 weight when at full temp.

He has every right to be nervous and Danny is spot on when he says we are only spec'd 0W20 in the states because of bullshit CAFE in order to meet EPA numbers. No chance in hell I would run a water thin 20 weight in any performance motor just to achieve an extra 2-3 mpg. Literally almost every application of 0W20 being spec'd here will show the manufacturer spec'ing a higher weight in the EU, Japan and abroad. The Golf R I sold recently was the same. Hell even the S2000 I had 20 years ago was the same.

A 0 cold weight is really only beneficial in colder climates. I'd much rather run a 5W30 or 5W40 in hotter climates, like here in Houston, for the added film strength especially when you consider how hard a turbo motor is on oil typically shearing it down a weight throughout the OCI. You run a 0W20 and it will be a 10 weight in no time.

When I get my 2021 I'll be dumping the 0W20 at my buddy's shop within an hour of picking it up and filling it with Redline 5W30.
I couldn't agree more and appreciate the assurance. In Singapore and Brunei where the ambient temps are hot and humid, I run 5w40 rather than the 0w30. Ive always used Motul and Castrol but am trailing out Lucas Oil's Euro Spec 5w40. It seems to be ok so far but have noted operating engine temps sit between 105-110 deg C (221-230 deg F). Does that sound about right?
Sponsored