Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Ok...First, The responses were "spot on!!!!!" i will try to keep it concise:

If money allows for both options, I'd pick the 3.0 every time. If money was an issue, I would probably not be considering a car that can only be used 3/4 of the time
Money is an option from the standpoint that i have to work for it.....willing to spend for the best "bang for the buck"... In KY, have owned several RWD vehicles, favorite being one of the "Fast&furious" RX7's....the 2.0 reminds me of that and it too, made 255hp but at 2900lbs, it was a "4 wheel legend..." most of the year, weather not a problem but that is what old beaters are for....

Be patient and you can get a great price on a 3.0 Supra for just a few grand more over a 2.0ā€™s MSRP.
All the posts are awesome but this one rang true the most.......that is the one thing i have on my side is the patience.....i have a good vehicle but the Supra is calling my name.....i will use the patience to pay off a credit card and see what the next model year has to offer...(maybe a manual???) before i make the jump.

None of this means the 2.0 is a bad car though, if any many people believe the 2.0 is the better tuner car. More room in the engine bay means more room for other mods and bigger turbo's. The B54 engine is in itself also a solid engine and with a tune can push out some good power as well. Non adaptive suspension also means you dont lose anything by switching to coilovers. No brembos means more wheel choices since the brake calipers are smaller.
If the 2.0 enters my mind......... "for more than a few seconds, if i have the shot, I'll take it" (Top Gun reference....LOL).....ditto on the mod route............already own a JB4.....

Thanks again for the insights...i will keep monitoring the posts.

OP
OP

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Meant to say: "Money is an "issue" from the standpoint that i have to work for it".....

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Honestly a used 2020 is a great option. Unlike the 2021+, the 2020's can be tuned via ECUtek which is a solid tuning hardware. As for right now i believe we are waiting for tuners to hit the next breakthrough which will allow them to tune our locked ECU's. So if you are big into the Mod scene, you can get a used 2020 with low miles for around the same price as a new 2.0

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Iā€™d say donā€™t take shortcuts - get the 3.0. Supras were meant to be 3 liter inline sixes and like others said if money is an issue you can get a used 2020 for a similar price to the 4 banger, Iā€™d be worth the wait. Ironically i think the more expensive car is the better value considering all of the other goodies that comes with the bigger engine when taking into context price differences. Do whatever makes you happy at the end of the day but just my 2 cents you asked for :)

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I wonder if Porsche Cayman GTS/GT4 owners talk down to Cayman S owners like this
That would be more like a GRIM edition Supra owner vs 3.0
the cayman S can stand on its own as a respectable track and street weapon. With wimpy brakes, open diff, less power, and the SAME body the 2.0 is a poser. my .02 think i have said if i wanted a more affordable track weapon i would lean Yaris/86 in the Toyota stable
Hell, i'd rather buy a well sorted e46 M3 for 2.0 money 333hp and redline for days! goes around corner like a rat wearing sneakers. timeless styling

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
I have no doubt youā€˜d love either one. Coming from an 86, I was worried that the Supra would feel fast but numb/heavy in the corners. I neednā€™t have worried, the A90 platform is amazing. You donā€˜t have to be going super fast in the corners for this car to entertain and impress you.

My personal problem with buying a 2.0 would be that (knowing myself), Iā€˜d always wonder ā€œwhat it would have been like to get the 3.0ā€. And then Iā€™d be tempted to start modding my 2.0 to make it more like the 3.0...a downward spiral for me. ā€œOoh, I need bigger brakesā€. ā€œHmmm, now that Iā€˜ve flashed my car I need a better LSD...ā€. You likely have more self control and common sense than I do, but Iā€™ve modded enough cars to know I have a disease.

With the 3.0, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll even tune it. Itā€™s plenty fast for the street, and in balance with the rest of the chassis.

Drive both if you can, and buy the one you love.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Honestly a used 2020 is a great option. Unlike the 2021+, the 2020's can be tuned via ECUtek which is a solid tuning hardware. As for right now i believe we are waiting for tuners to hit the next breakthrough which will allow them to tune our locked ECU's. So if you are big into the Mod scene, you can get a used 2020 with low miles for around the same price as a new 2.0
This is my thinking. I think a new 2.0 is a little difficult to rationalize at that price point compared to the 3.0 (new or used) or the 86 because the 2.0 lacks so much of the go-fast bits found on the 3.0. I think the 2.0 is a very nice car--it's just tough to find the case for buying it when a used 2020 is such a compelling option.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
Ironically i think the more expensive car is the better value considering all of the other goodies that comes with the bigger engine when taking into context price differences.
This. Same thing was true for the 3-Series for many years. The I6 versions (335/340) were actually a better value (and often cheaper) to own than the 4-bangers (328/330), once you account for options included and residual values on each.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
That would be more like a GRIM edition Supra owner vs 3.0
the cayman S can stand on its own as a respectable track and street weapon. With wimpy brakes, open diff, less power, and the SAME body the 2.0 is a poser. my .02 think i have said if i wanted a more affordable track weapon i would lean Yaris/86 in the Toyota stable
Hell, i'd rather buy a well sorted e46 M3 for 2.0 money 333hp and redline for days! goes around corner like a rat wearing sneakers. timeless styling
The GR Yaris is not a option in the States.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
Should we also factor in resale? The previous Z4s that are more wanted and retain a higher price tag seem to be the mid and top trim level models.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
This is my thinking. I think a new 2.0 is a little difficult to rationalize at that price point compared to the 3.0 (new or used) or the 86 because the 2.0 lacks so much of the go-fast bits found on the 3.0. I think the 2.0 is a very nice car--it's just tough to find the case for buying it when a used 2020 is such a compelling option.
Correct. I mean if someone is desperate, impatient, short on money and just wants a ā€œSupraā€ they can get one. No judgement on my part but i think Iā€™d always be wanting the 3.0

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I have no doubt youā€˜d love either one. Coming from an 86, I was worried that the Supra would feel fast but numb/heavy in the corners. I neednā€™t have worried, the A90 platform is amazing. You donā€˜t have to be going super fast in the corners for this car to entertain and impress you.

My personal problem with buying a 2.0 would be that (knowing myself), Iā€˜d always wonder ā€œwhat it would have been like to get the 3.0ā€. And then Iā€™d be tempted to start modding my 2.0 to make it more like the 3.0...a downward spiral for me. ā€œOoh, I need bigger brakesā€. ā€œHmmm, now that Iā€˜ve flashed my car I need a better LSD...ā€. You likely have more self control and common sense than I do, but Iā€™ve modded enough cars to know I have a disease.

With the 3.0, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll even tune it. Itā€™s plenty fast for the street, and in balance with the rest of the chassis.

Drive both if you can, and buy the one you love.
Good to see someone else who is content with stock power levels. My 3.0 2020 has more than enough for street and to get me into trouble lol, i may consider downpipe and tune closer to the end of the warranty but canā€™t imagine needing 1000hp

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Good to see someone else who is content with stock power levels. My 3.0 2020 has more than enough for street and to get me into trouble lol, i may consider downpipe and tune closer to the end of the warranty but canā€™t imagine needing 1000hp
I'm of the same mindset. 388hp (even rated at the crank) is more than enough for me. Especially living in the SF Bay Area. Where am i going to go that will allow me to utilize more than even 250hp unless its at the race track. I cant even imagine having something above 500hp. I'd never get to see it.
Sponsored