Owner Review: Supra vs. my exes (911, Cayman, M2, Type R)

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
@Brandonanix Now that the initial honeymoon phase is over, what are your thoughts on the car? I've seen a few of your posts wrestling with aftermarket springs and interior build quality, so I'm curious what impact this has had after a few months of ownership.
cheers.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Brandonanix

Brandonanix

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
@Brandonanix Now that the initial honeymoon phase is over, what are your thoughts on the car? I've seen a few of your posts wrestling with aftermarket springs and interior build quality, so I'm curious what impact this has had after a few months of ownership.
cheers.
3 Month update:

It’s an odd situation I am in currently. I still stand behind everything in my original post in terms of where the Supra stacks up against my previous cars, but now I have this underlying rage and disappointment after everytime I drive the car. I have torn the entire interior apart, about 5 times now. Back panels, trunk, sub box, B pillar section, under dash, center console, steering wheel, glove box, gauge cluster, center screen. I would essentially take something apart that made a plastic on plastic sound when tapping on it, trying to find the source of these horrific front and rear vibration noises plaguing the car. I have wrapped every plastic-on-plastic element (There are TONS of these spots) with black 3M friction tape, and/or placed pieces of foam in sections. After all of that tearing apart- nothing has resolved. I had the front suspension re-installed, springs silencers put on, and still nothing resolved. Absolutely devastating. Horrifying actually.

The 3 main issues right now are:
1: Extremely harsh and loud vibration noise in the high/midrange sound spectrum over rough roads, or when you run over a road reflector between lanes. Not caused by deep compression of the strut, just very light compression caused by rough pavement.
2: Noise in rear shock area when the suspension compresses
3: Something feels slightly loose in the steering rack. When the front tires make initial contact with a speed bump, you can feel there is some slack/play happening.

The issues are so bad that I no longer drive the car “aimlessly” simply for fun like I used to, because it just ends up leaving me extremely irritated.

Even with the issues, I have thought about what to do if these cant be solved, and I need to get out of the car-what would I get. STILL, I would only want a Supra again, I wouldn’t want to go back to M2, or even an M2 CS. There is genuinely nothing else on the market in the sub $100k landscape that I would choose over a Supra right now.

The ONLY solution to two of the 3 issues I listed, is to drive with music playing (not Howard Stern like I would prefer) to mask the mid/high frequency in the cabin, and also with the driver window at least partially lowered. This essentially creates white noise in the car to mask the sounds, which is just insane that I have to resort to that.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Blue
3 Month update:

It’s an odd situation I am in currently. I still stand behind everything in my original post in terms of where the Supra stacks up against my previous cars, but now I have this underlying rage and disappointment after everytime I drive the car. I have torn the entire interior apart, about 5 times now. Back panels, trunk, sub box, B pillar section, under dash, center console, steering wheel, glove box, gauge cluster, center screen. I would essentially take something apart that made a plastic on plastic sound when tapping on it, trying to find the source of these horrific front and rear vibration noises plaguing the car. I have wrapped every plastic-on-plastic element (There are TONS of these spots) with black 3M friction tape, and/or placed pieces of foam in sections. After all of that tearing apart- nothing has resolved. I had the front suspension re-installed, springs silencers put on, and still nothing resolved. Absolutely devastating. Horrifying actually.

The 3 main issues right now are:
1: Extremely harsh and loud vibration noise in the high/midrange sound spectrum over rough roads, or when you run over a road reflector between lanes. Not caused by deep compression of the strut, just very light compression caused by rough pavement.
2: Noise in rear shock area when the suspension compresses
3: Something feels slightly loose in the steering rack. When the front tires make initial contact with a speed bump, you can feel there is some slack/play happening.

The issues are so bad that I no longer drive the car “aimlessly” simply for fun like I used to, because it just ends up leaving me extremely irritated.

Even with the issues, I have thought about what to do if these cant be solved, and I need to get out of the car-what would I get. STILL, I would only want a Supra again, I wouldn’t want to go back to M2, or even an M2 CS. There is genuinely nothing else on the market in the sub $100k landscape that I would choose over a Supra right now.

The ONLY solution to two of the 3 issues I listed, is to drive with music playing (not Howard Stern like I would prefer) to mask the mid/high frequency in the cabin, and also with the driver window at least partially lowered. This essentially creates white noise in the car to mask the sounds, which is just insane that I have to resort to that.
Did you try the sound app that plays a frequency that makes stuff in the car vibrate so you can look around?

OP
OP
Brandonanix

Brandonanix

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Did you try the sound app that plays a frequency that makes stuff in the car vibrate so you can look around?
I did not! But I’m willing to try anything! Is it just called “sound app”?

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Blue
Tried the app, it exposed more noise in the sub box behind the sears but didn’t trigger the other noises unfortunately
You try different frequencies? May need something that really works in each area. Only other thing I've tried is moving phone around while recording and see what it's closest to

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R Mk7.5 & Toyota Supra MkV
Just read this thread and it references my experience with cars - I am 48 years old and owned 55 cars. The cars have gotten better over the years as I've been able to afford higher specs. I am a fastidious owner. I've had a love/hate relationship on a daily basis with every one of them. What irks me the most is interior rattles, squeaks, vibrations etc Every car is ripped apart sound deadened and fixed with felt tape etc. i wanted to buy a base 4cyl Porsche caymen but the Supra just stood out as better value with its 6cyl engine and features. I have massive buyers remorse. This car is very quiet and refined in terms of NVH but the rear squeaks and rattles are really bad, the doors rattle and the carbon fibre centre console has a squeak in it when you press on it or go over an uneven surface its worse when the car is warm. The centre console with the 8 custom buttons makes a squeak when u press on it and when driving over some bad bumps. I blame Toyota for this. My BMW's where never this bad and these parts are Toyota Parts.

I owned an Audi A3 not one single rattle for 4 years (wifes car) I also own a Golf R it had two rattles and I fixed both of them, this car doesn't make a single noise over any surface.

Ive never owned a porsche I am thinking maybe the Porsche,Audi, VW family is where I should put my money as they know how to build interiors.

So far I have eliminated the rear rattles and squeaks in the Supra completely this is a big relief. I stripped everything I used rubber adhesive seals around the woofers so the sound projects out. I uses felt tape over the metal clips on carpeted speaker cover and panel. I used sound deadening on many surfaces including thick sound deadener under that carpeted plastic moulding.

Every Plastic panel has some sound deadener added to the underside and felt tape where it rests against another panel. The metal brackets beneath the plastic and carpeted panels in the trunk are flimsy so I stuck sound deadener on those brackets. I shoved sponge and speaker wadding into gaps in the rear fender to fill the cavities.

I filled the aluminium fake chassis brace with sponge to deaden it as it transmits noise like a speaker.

I placed sound deadener on the inside of my doors panel and some thicker sponge where the door lock mechanism goes through the hole as this is a source of a known rattle.

So the car is far better now. Its just the creaks from the centre console carbon fibre and front facia that needs to be sorted which I have not tackled yet.

With these rear rattles and creaks fixed the car feels like it rides smoother which is the placebo effect and my OCD.

I had similar suspension vibration sound over rough surfaces and it was one of the underbody plastic lining that needed some rubber inserted in there. This was discovered by accident as I came across this issue it on a you tube clip. Not sure if that is what you have? sorry I cannot point to which clip. I actually shoved rubber everywhere I could so not exactly sure which panel was causing the problem. It did sound like a suspension vibration and mechanical issue its was that bad.

Even though the car is so much better now with 4000km's on the clock. I still have buyers remorse but when I study the options available on the market nothing really pops up as an option except the porsche Caymen - having read OP review its sounds like even that car doesnt tick the boxes. Maybe this means I need to just persevere and iron out all the gremlins on this car and it will be perfect.

I have to agree that the engine, handling, steering (apart form the awful steering wheel) are all pedigree and up there with the best. I have the AWE catback non resonated and it sounds like supercar.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Blue
Just read this thread and it references my experience with cars - I am 48 years old and owned 55 cars. The cars have gotten better over the years as I've been able to afford higher specs. I am a fastidious owner. I've had a love/hate relationship on a daily basis with every one of them. What irks me the most is interior rattles, squeaks, vibrations etc Every car is ripped apart sound deadened and fixed with felt tape etc. i wanted to buy a base 4cyl Porsche caymen but the Supra just stood out as better value with its 6cyl engine and features. I have massive buyers remorse. This car is very quiet and refined in terms of NVH but the rear squeaks and rattles are really bad, the doors rattle and the carbon fibre centre console has a squeak in it when you press on it or go over an uneven surface its worse when the car is warm. The centre console with the 8 custom buttons makes a squeak when u press on it and when driving over some bad bumps. I blame Toyota for this. My BMW's where never this bad and these parts are Toyota Parts.

I owned an Audi A3 not one single rattle for 4 years (wifes car) I also own a Golf R it had two rattles and I fixed both of them, this car doesn't make a single noise over any surface.

Ive never owned a porsche I am thinking maybe the Porsche,Audi, VW family is where I should put my money as they know how to build interiors.

So far I have eliminated the rear rattles and squeaks in the Supra completely this is a big relief. I stripped everything I used rubber adhesive seals around the woofers so the sound projects out. I uses felt tape over the metal clips on carpeted speaker cover and panel. I used sound deadening on many surfaces including thick sound deadener under that carpeted plastic moulding.

Every Plastic panel has some sound deadener added to the underside and felt tape where it rests against another panel. The metal brackets beneath the plastic and carpeted panels in the trunk are flimsy so I stuck sound deadener on those brackets. I shoved sponge and speaker wadding into gaps in the rear fender to fill the cavities.

I filled the aluminium fake chassis brace with sponge to deaden it as it transmits noise like a speaker.

I placed sound deadener on the inside of my doors panel and some thicker sponge where the door lock mechanism goes through the hole as this is a source of a known rattle.

So the car is far better now. Its just the creaks from the centre console carbon fibre and front facia that needs to be sorted which I have not tackled yet.

With these rear rattles and creaks fixed the car feels like it rides smoother which is the placebo effect and my OCD.

I had similar suspension vibration sound over rough surfaces and it was one of the underbody plastic lining that needed some rubber inserted in there. This was discovered by accident as I came across this issue it on a you tube clip. Not sure if that is what you have? sorry I cannot point to which clip. I actually shoved rubber everywhere I could so not exactly sure which panel was causing the problem. It did sound like a suspension vibration and mechanical issue its was that bad.

Even though the car is so much better now with 4000km's on the clock. I still have buyers remorse but when I study the options available on the market nothing really pops up as an option except the porsche Caymen - having read OP review its sounds like even that car doesnt tick the boxes. Maybe this means I need to just persevere and iron out all the gremlins on this car and it will be perfect.

I have to agree that the engine, handling, steering (apart form the awful steering wheel) are all pedigree and up there with the best. I have the AWE catback non resonated and it sounds like supercar.
You should document your changes, if others have it they can mimic and maybe someone else can fix the remaining.

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
16' Wrangler Rubicon, 13' 4Runner Trail, 13' R56S
Just read this thread and it references my experience with cars - I am 48 years old and owned 55 cars.........
This may not be the thread as I dont want to de-rail the OP but I would love to hear your opinions on the Golf R vs the Supra. The Golf R is a car that I continue to look at. If you would create a "Vs." thread with your opinions that would be awesome!

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette

Try Prozac.

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I
This may not be the thread as I dont want to de-rail the OP but I would love to hear your opinions on the Golf R vs the Supra. The Golf R is a car that I continue to look at. If you would create a "Vs." thread with your opinions that would be awesome!
I will happily write something under the Supra vs section this weekend. I am huge Golf R fan!

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You should document your changes, if others have it they can mimic and maybe someone else can fix the remaining.
Its a hard job after the effect. I can attach some pictures and happily address any questions.
Sponsored