PCV Valve Screw Stripped (Suggestions?)

Zenkuto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium (AZ)
So I was installing my armaspeed intake today, and even with the utmost care, I broke the clip on the intake inlet end.

Luckily, I had a spare prepared for this exact reason. I decided to change it for peace of mind since I know I’ll probably never touch it after the new intake was in anyways.

About 95% of the way into tightening down the new one to the PCV port, my hand slipped and completely rounded out the inside. it’s a very awkward angle to get to.

Now, that end isn’t sitting completely flush against the block. But, we’re only talking like 1.5mm gap, and I can just barelyyy see a tiny sliver of the green o-ring.

My question is would there be any issues, long or short term, running it like this? From what I’ve read, this hose isn’t super important. But seeing as how there was a bit of oil on the original hose I pulled, should I be worried about oil leaks?

also, I wouldn’t even know how to remove this screw at this point anyways. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

98635715-EAD2-4B90-9D1A-FA667FB29700.jpeg
Sponsored

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
PCV can be run under constant vacuum, which is ideal, or vented to atmosphere (VTA). VTA is less ideal for engine performance, but not fatal. Which is all to say: a leak isn't terrible.

I recommend repairing the thread with a helicoil. Or is it just the screw head that's boned? If it's just the screw head, you can likely get it out with a rubber band pressed between the head of the screw and a Philips head.

OP
OP
Zenkuto

Zenkuto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PCV can be run under constant vacuum, which is ideal, or vented to atmosphere (VTA). VTA is less ideal for engine performance, but not fatal. Which is all to say: a leak isn't terrible.

I recommend repairing the thread with a helicoil. Or is it just the screw head that's boned? If it's just the screw head, you can likely get it out with a rubber band pressed between the head of the screw and a Philips head.
It’s just the screw head that’s rounded. So I should use a Phillips even though it’s a T27? Nonetheless, I’ll have to try to find a replacement screw for that before attempting to remove it

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
I would replace the bolt. If you don't get that tight it will rattle and eventually break the oring and your bolt or break your flange from microvibrations.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It’s just the screw head that’s rounded. So I should use a Phillips even though it’s a T27? Nonetheless, I’ll have to try to find a replacement screw for that before attempting to remove it
Ah, right, forgot it's Torx. Same advice still applies. :) Getting a rubber band in there will likely help the screwdriver grip the rounded head. Can also use vice grips or pliers to just grab the whole screw head.

OP
OP
Zenkuto

Zenkuto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ah, right, forgot it's Torx. Same advice still applies. :) Getting a rubber band in there will likely help the screwdriver grip the rounded head. Can also use vice grips or pliers to just grab the whole screw head.
So I would use the torx bit or would Philips work too for rounded heads regardless?

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So I would use the torx bit or would Philips work too for rounded heads regardless?
Use the appropriate screwdriver for the head. Add only the rubber band as a gripping agent.
Sponsored