PEEFREE's A90 Supra Build

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
Cooling issues aside how do you like the Supra compared to the CTR? fun-wise, handling-wise etc etc.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2021 Toyota Sienna
Cooling issues aside how do you like the Supra compared to the CTR? fun-wise, handling-wise etc etc.
Too soon to say. Unfortunately, due to my recent work schedule, I haven't had a lot opportunities to drive the car. I should be having some track days coming up so I'll be able to compare the two cars then.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looks great! What tire sizes were you running and also now?
Thanks!

A052's - 295/35/18's all around.

I think it's a much though. Will probably switch to Nankang AR1 275's next time. The tire cost is getting a little high for my taste.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So we got the car buttoned up and ready for Sonoma this past weekend on 11/7/2020.

Great job by the guys at Elite Performance as usual. Just to reiterate, they managed to install:

- JRZ RS-Pro
- TE37 Squared set up - 10x10.5 +35
- A052s 295/35/18s
- AFE Power Front Sway Bar
- Verus Master Brake Cylinder Brace
- Cusco Rear Power Brace
- Cusco Front Brace
- FC Steel Stud Conversion Kit
- Titan 7 Lug nuts
- Verus Rear differential coolint plate
- Verus engineering rear diffuser
- Recaro Pole positions
- Cusco Harness Bar
- Schroth Rally 4 ASM harness
- Aim Smartycam system w/ aim solo 2

We also added some "cosmetic" things like:

- Rexspeed Passenger side carbon interior badge
- IND A90 Red start / stop button
- Magic Mount Pro
- Weathertech Floor mats / Trunk liner
- Verus Engine dress up kit

So yeah... a lot of mods going in at once.

The car did a 1.56 with me piloting and a 1.49 with my friend driving her. This was a 4-5 second drop from my last outing. The main difference is that the lower lap time felt a lot 'easier' than the last time. I wasn't fighting the car as much and didn't feel like I needed to hunt for grip.

Apologies in advance but we didn't have time to properly set up the smartycam so the video isn't in the best quality.

Anyways.... Here's my session. Just some info but I attended the track day with my civic type r buddies and we were stuck behind some slower cars for a majority of the session so it's the reason why you see a sort of congo line. lol.

As you can tell from my video, the car just felt a lot more planted than before.

And here's the lap from my friend in his faster lap.

Pictures:

eDIEFt.jpg

5yq0Nw.jpg

QFvb4O.jpg

QMLhrl.jpg

Over all the car felt a lot more planted. I was fighting the car a lot less to get it where I wanted it to be.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic, 4Runner
It's always fun keeping up with your builds. Any reason that you went with Pole Positions over the carbon fiber seats that you had in the Civic?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's always fun keeping up with your builds. Any reason that you went with Pole Positions over the carbon fiber seats that you had in the Civic?
No reason other than aesthetics. I wanted to keep this build fairly clean with everything looking OEM as opposed to the Civic which was a bit more.... extreme. haha.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic, 4Runner
No reason other than aesthetics. I wanted to keep this build fairly clean with everything looking OEM as opposed to the Civic which was a bit more.... extreme. haha.
As soon as you wrapped the Civic it went from fairly typical track look, to full send! If I see the Supra gets a wrap, I'll know you're going off the deep end again LOL

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As soon as you wrapped the Civic it went from fairly typical track look, to full send! If I see the Supra gets a wrap, I'll know you're going off the deep end again LOL
Yeah... about that...

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
so now that you've tracked it more, if you had to have one for a canyon carver/track car which do you prefer? Type R? or Supra?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
so now that you've tracked it more, if you had to have one for a canyon carver/track car which do you prefer? Type R? or Supra?
That's a difficult question to answer. haha.

I've only driven the Supra one more time on the track so my opinion might be a bit preliminary.

At this point though, I think I would choose the CTR over the Supra. This is assuming that the issues are sorted out (namely the overheating and the fuel starvation problems).

Allow me to elaborate:

- CTR cost almost 20k less than the Supra
- WAY WAY WAY easier to drive. It's actually scary how capable it is and how much confidence it gives you.
- Fast out of the box. You don't need to do anything other than maybe brake fluids / pads and new wheels / tires.
- Much better on gas - I'm filling up the Supra every two sessions on track days.
- Much more practical - It's a hatch. I've fit a big screen TV in the back before.
- The Civic has a manual - way more engaging
- Way better community. No offense but the Civic community is much larger. I am not shitting on the Supra community and I'm not saying that the Supra community won't get there but it's infantile compared to the Civic community.

I've said it before but for the money it's honestly really hard to beat the Civic. You just get so much for what you pay for. I think if the Supra were 20k cheaper, it would be really competitive but it's damn near 60k. That's A LOT of money for something that is only SLIGHTLY faster on track (and a whole lot harder to drive).

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
11/17/20 - The supra is wrapped. lol.

One of my employees wanted to get into the wrapping business. Told the kid to really think about it before he did anything. Long story short, he ended up purchasing 600 dollars worth of wrap and decided not to use it. Figured I'd help the kid out and make use of it.

Enlisted my friend / wrap guy to do the work. He's wrapped all of my past projects. Not the cheapest but I'll be damned if I find someone better.

cCReIp.jpg

17j8Nd.jpg

dsskyx.jpg

XvSnf7.jpg

G3R5m2.jpg

PHuKWi.jpg

0Yp2g5.jpg

4LiKBO.jpg

The man does a meticulous job every time with complete bumper / panel removals.

Also added the A91 stripes. FIgured it kind of completes the look cause it's really empty back there. lol.

n7eXOR.jpg

For the pillars, I let my wrap guy decide on whether to wrap it or not. In the end we decided that we liked the pillars to have a bit of black but we didn't want it to be all black (cause that made the project look a bit incomplete). His solution was to wrap half of it and follow the curvature of the roof. Loved how it turned out.

3Bnkaa.jpg

Also had him wrap my EVS fenders. I have no idea how to install them though so if anyone has a guide or instructions somewhere, I'd thank you in advance.

8f4wF3.jpg

Scored this nice piece on ebay. It's CF all the way through and the fitment was spot on.

klRqcR.jpg

pLchS5.jpg

a6mmj5.jpg

Still trying to find a place to buy another emblem to put on top of the engine cover. Might just pick up a titanium one and call it a day.